[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Agenda for WG meeting this week and NEW draft Deliberations section of WG Initial Report

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Tue Dec 6 00:00:31 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

My comments/thoughts on the draft section 4 and section 6 are below:

SECTION 4 COMMENTS

1. page 3 (last paragraph) "…..to prohibit third party use of those
identifiers as trademarks…." -- Of course, it's not a total or
absolute prohibition, so the language of that paragraph should be
altered slightly (i.e. perhaps insert the word "confusing" after
"prohibit" for simplicity).

2. page 4: bottom; we might want to note that we also had a group
conference call with Professor Swaine after his preliminary report

3. page 5, first paragraph, first sentence: perhaps change the word
"opinion" to "research and analysis" (otherwise it suggests that the
conclusions are subject to mere whim); or perhaps add "expert" before
"opinion" to add more gravitas to the statement

4. page 6, first line "Issue Report preparatory" -- should that be
"Issues" (plural), and I'm not sure about the grammar of "preparatory"
in that sentence…it's awkward. Perhaps change "preparatory" to
"prior"??

5. page 6, 2nd paragraph, middle, "…for [the GNSO…" opening square
bracket has no matching closing square bracket…??

6. page 9: in the table, middle column (or 3rd column), we should note
that the Article 6ter registration SUPPLEMENTS existing ability IGOs
to have standing (e.g. via common law or registered marks).

7. page 10: middle column, top row (continuation from prior page) --
the part "but an arbitration option can be created…" -- that's just
*one* of the options (probably the minority view at this point); the
other option, probably the majority view, was to vitiate the UDRP/URS
decision if immunity was attained during a court appeal). So, perhaps
the section in the brackets should be removed, or altered.

8. page 10: second column, bottom row, middle column; like my point #6
above, the 6ter registration *SUPPLEMENTS* existing ability to have
standing by IGOs.

9. page 9 & page 10: (column 1): the IGO proposal is listed as
referencing only "IGO acronymn" -- I assume that should be "IGO *name*
or acronym"??

10. page 11, 2nd row, middle column: "or have trademarked same" --
that's imprecise? I think we mean "or who have registered or
unregistered common law trademarks"

SECTION 6 COMMENTS

A. page 1, 2nd paragraph of "General" section -- the first sentence is
a bit misleading, since it simply says that "the answers to these
questions are no" -- If we look at what the questions were, that
statement is misleading. The first question had a faulty premise that
IGOs and INGOs *don't* already have access to the UDRP and URS. It's
clear that as a working group that we've provided evidence that IGOs
and INGOs *already* do have access to the UDRP and URS. So, the real
PDP was about possible expansion of that access and/or "adjusting the
playing field" in favor of one side or the other.

B. page 3: some formatting issues in bullet point 3 (e.g. extra 'dot'
before "Furthermore" and after "Charter"

C. page 3: middle paragraph, last sentence --- "The WGfurther" --
should add a space after "WG" to make it "The WG further"

D. page 3, bullet point 1 (near bottom): first sentence, perhaps make
it plural for "Final Issues Report"?? (i.e. Issue vs Issues??)

E. page 4, last paragraph of Recommendation #1: it talks about
revisiting our work "if concrete proposals emerge* --- well, we know
that those concrete proposals were made by the IGOs at a late stage;
so, perhaps we need to modify the language of that paragraph a bit?
(i.e. we received the concrete proposals, and analyzed them, etc.,
i.e. in Section 4; although, I still believe that the table in Section
4 comparing the recommendations should perhaps be moved to *after*
section 6, to make sense chronologically; i.e. we analyzed/contrasted
the IGOs Small Group proposal *after* our own recommendations).

F. page 4, Recommendation 2, last sentence -- really it's for the
benefit of panelists, registrants, *and* potential IGO complainants.

G. page 5, 2nd last paragraph, last sentence "…in the absence of their
possessing trademark or common law rights…." I think the word
"registered" belongs before "trademark" (i.e. the common law rights
are *unregistered* *trademark* rights; i.e. BOTH are trademark rights,
one set registered, the other set are common law).

H. page 9, further discussion of option 2: for the 3rd bullet point
(crossing into the following page), perhaps it can be expanded, to
highlight the fact that we know that UDRP decisions have been
successfully overturned in the courts on numerous occasions, even when
there were unanimous 3-panelist UDRP decisions. Furthermore, allowing
mandatory and binding arbitration without recourse to the court
creates the circumstances for a permanent DIVERGENCE of jurisprudence
between the arbitration bodies and the national laws or courts. i.e.
the existence of the appeal mechanism to national courts is of
critical importance as a check and balance on the entire UDRP/URS
system, because it ensures that the UDRP/URS cannot perpetually expand
to give rights that are greater than those that exist in the national
courts (which would then create forum shopping, where complainants
would use the UDRP/URS to obtain relief that they could never achieve
in the courts). Without these checks and balances, the power of
"rogue" panelists/providers and the incentives for forum shopping grow
considerably, undermining the purpose and integrity of the entire
system.

I. page 14, last paragraph of Recommendation #4 (i.e. directly above
Recommendation #5); as discussed in our last conference call, the
paragraph needs to be softened somewhat, i.e. the "IGOs will have to
submit to" line is not accurate, given that we've identified
workarounds for the IGOs regarding assignee/licensee bringing the
UDRP/URS, in order to shield the IGO.