[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Swaine report update, future calls, Helskinki, etc.?

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Thu Jun 16 14:56:15 UTC 2016

Hello George and everyone, please see below for the staff responses to George’s questions:

1. Do we have a timetable for the final report from Professor Swaine?

MARY – We have been in contact with Professor Swaine, who has confirmed he will do his best to get us his Final Report by the end of this week. We will send it to you all once we receive it, which we therefore expect to be no later than early next week.

2. Will there be a call before the Helsinki ICANN meeting, and/or a call during that meeting? Or, are we aiming for after Helsinki at this point?

MARY – There won’t be a call before ICANN Helsinki; however, a Working Group meeting (with remote participation as usual) has been scheduled for Tuesday 28 June, from 13:30-15:00 Helsinki time (90 minutes). Staff will work with the co-chairs to create and send around a proposed agenda for this meeting following receipt of Professor Swaine’s final memo.

3. Did we receive any feedback from the IGOs or others on the draft Swaine report?

MARY – Staff did not receive any formal feedback from the IGOs or other groups. However, we will inform the GAC Secretariat of the Tuesday meeting as it is likely that several IGOs will be attending the Helsinki meeting.

Working Group members may also be interested in a GAC-scheduled session on IGO & INGO Names and Acronyms Protections, on Thursday 30 June from 11:00-11:30 Helsinki time. While that is likely to be focused on the as-yet-unresolved questions of appropriate preventative protections for those IGO & INGO names and acronyms for which the GAC and the GNSO provided the Board with inconsistent recommendations, the discussion might touch on curative rights issues and so may be of interest.

The full Helsinki meeting schedule can be viewed here (there is also a mobile scheduling app that is quite useful): https://meetings.icann.org/en/icann56-sched

Thanks and cheers
Mary