[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Swaine report -- questions/comments

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed May 11 08:22:06 UTC 2016

Dear George,

Thanks so much for the detailed questions and comments. We will compile them with any others that may come in by the deadline for discussion during our next WG call on 12 May as well as for forwarding on to Professor Swaine.

Without venturing to provide a legal opinion for which I’m not qualified and which would in any case be inappropriate for ICANN staff to do, I hope that the following comments on your Questions B.3 and B.4 can be of assistance in moving our WG discussion forward on our call tomorrow:

B.3 - on the possibility of authorizing a State’s Attorney-General (or equivalent authority) to file a UDRP complaint on behalf of an IGO: this would not be something that ICANN can effectively do. It would seem to require a multilateral agreement that is very unlikely to happen, outside ICANN’s remit and ability. Note also that Article 6ter covers only State obligations to provide certain protections for IGO identifiers consonant with their national trademark laws and does not itself confer rights.

B.4 - on arbitration as between an IGO and a person/entity with which the IGO does not have contractual relations: an arbitration proceeding arises only when the parties in question have agreed to use this option to litigation. In the case where this has not been specified in a contract between the parties, this can normally be agreed to even after the dispute arises, as is the case with the UNCITRAL Rules mentioned by Professor Swaine, which apply to international commercial disputes. WG members may wish to note that the UNCITRAL Rules can apply to a wide variety of “commercial” transactions, including situations where the relationship between the parties is not contractual in nature. Should the WG decide to investigate this possibility, we will likely need to further explore and understand the scope and applicability of these types of arbitral rules to domain name disputes.

Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary Wong
Senior Policy Director