[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] MP3, Attendance & AC Chat for IGO-INGO CRP PDP WG call on Thursday, 20 April 2017

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Thu Apr 20 19:06:41 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and MP3 recording along with the AC recording and
chat below for the IGO-INGO Curative Rights Protection PDP WG Meeting held
on Thursday, 20 April 2017 at 16:00 UTC.

Mp3:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-igo-ingo-crp-pdp-20apr17-en.mp3

AC Recording:
<https://participate.icann.org/p7itd16kw48/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=270a392f7eacd741
b08abf3f2654f84519ad6e8cf34f5cf5e6c5e8497ddb0bc4>
https://participate.icann.org/p7itd16kw48/

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__audio.icann.org_gnso_gn
so-2Dcrp-2Dpdp-2D13oct16-2Den.mp3&d=DQMF-g&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6s
Jms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsj
Wv9&m=asM5JoG30Yqf49-Nims9k3McNfFtmzlAe1HmuXI6wic&s=0nZvoU1RqsjvPcNWDN_a2vVZ
Dp9uXeyGO8NN2dN5h74&e=>
Calendar page:

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group
-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DQMF-g&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7x
cl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m
=wBBn3Ar2_mvUeGcM8rpOAyluUFEJFG5lASQ-cAccI2k&s=3BfiwO43tzwlrIbIyBY4Q-14zsFQC
X518fLLR8GWR7I&e=> http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Attendees:

David Maher - RySG

George Kirikos - Individual

Jay Chapman - Individual

Paul Tattersfield - Individual

Petter Rindforth - IPC (co-chair)

Poncelet Ileleji - NPOC

Kathy Kleiman - NCUC

Apologies:

Osvaldo Novoa   - ISPCP

Phil Corwin - BC (co-chair)

Mason Cole - RySG

Mary Wong - staff

ICANN staff:

Evin Erdogdu

Steve Chan

Dennis Chang

Berry Cobb

Terri Agnew

Wiki Agenda page: https://community.icann.org/x/YtLRAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Thursday, 20 April 2017

    Terri Agnew:Welcome to the IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection
Mechanisms Working Group call on Thursday, 20 April 2017 at 16:00 UTC for 90
minutes

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_Y
tLRAw
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_
YtLRAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpC
IgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=whryeAu2VDAw0A4qCveouUAPvrII88s2GQ5mvOo2PW
A&s=RKqZqSVWHSBjwaI_Smesu6-wRdOjBbEFfNj3blhDXE8&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=whryeAu2VDAw0A4qCveouUAPvrII88s2GQ5mvOo2PWA&s=RK
qZqSVWHSBjwaI_Smesu6-wRdOjBbEFfNj3blhDXE8&e=

  Evin Erdogdu:Hello all!

  George Kirikos:Hi folks.

  Paul Tattersfield:Hi everyeone

  George Kirikos:Welcome, Paul.

  Paul Tattersfield:Thanks George,  did you follow the football you were
very unlucky in the fast few minutes

  George Kirikos:Which football game?

  Paul Tattersfield:Greece vs Belgium

  George Kirikos:I wasn't watching. TV overload these days!

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Jay Chapman

  George Kirikos:Links to each comment is at:
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2017-April/000703.html

  Jay Chapman:Thanks, Terri

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Poncelet Ileleji

  Poncelet Ileleji:THanks Terri

  George Kirikos:They were explicitly in favour of Option #1 for
Recommendation 4, but that wasn't reflected in the spreadsheet.

  George Kirikos:(same for Jay's comments)

  Jay Chapman:Yes, thanks, George

  Jay Chapman:sorry - connectivity issues

  George Kirikos:Today? Or International Atomic Energy Agency , World Bank,
UNESCO, UPU, and International Finance Corporation first?

  George Kirikos:I got bumped too, Jay, from the audio. Had to dial back in.

  Terri Agnew:Kathy Kleiman has joined on audio

  Terri Agnew:If dial outs are needed on the telephone, let me know

  George Kirikos:Most of the remaining comments are pretty short already
(under 5 pages, mostly).

  George Kirikos:It looks like Rec #1 is not controversial. Even the INGOs
didn't bother to comment about it.

  George Kirikos:So, should we go through those 5 IGO comments today, before
the Review Tool?

  George Kirikos:I was opposed to rec #5 too.

  Steve Chan:@Petter, these have not been reviewed yet as far as staff
understands

  George Kirikos:Just looking for "new" arguments.

  George Kirikos:The GoDaddy example appears to be "new". Although, that's
distinguishable, because GoDaddy's registrants actually have a contractual
relationship with GoDaddy (unlike registrants and IGOs, who have no
relationship).

  George Kirikos:Also, other registrars don't require arbitration.

  George Kirikos:Did we lose Petter?

  Petter Rindforth:I'm calling in

  Terri Agnew:great ,thanks Petter

  George Kirikos:Welcome back, Petter.

  George Kirikos:We have to be careful with the next comments. The
International Atomic Energy Agency  has nukes! :-)

  George Kirikos:IAEA immunity actually seems to be functional, according to
their website, see:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.iaea.org_about_stat
ute-23a1-2D15
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.iaea.org_about_sta
tute-23a1-2D15&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2
dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=whryeAu2VDAw0A4qCveouUAPvrII88s2GQ
5mvOo2PWA&s=z_tULda8135_L_cdg0-sB0oiSxaLOGqGM1APqp7-wc0&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=whryeAu2VDAw0A4qCveouUAPvrII88s2GQ5mvOo2PWA&s=z_
tULda8135_L_cdg0-sB0oiSxaLOGqGM1APqp7-wc0&e=

  George Kirikos:"A. The Agency shall enjoy in the territory of each member
such legal capacity and such privileges and immunities as are necessary for
the exercise of its functions."

  Paul Tattersfield:its not even defending their own assets it is looking to
seize others assets for whatever reason

  George Kirikos:There's an academic article that notes they can waive their
immunity, too, see:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ir.lawnet.fordham.edu_cg
i_viewcontent.cgi-3Farticle-3D2017-26context-3Dflr
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ir.lawnet.fordham.edu_c
gi_viewcontent.cgi-3Farticle-3D2017-26context-3Dflr&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrc
rwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk
&m=whryeAu2VDAw0A4qCveouUAPvrII88s2GQ5mvOo2PWA&s=ZlkQsncPw-Vn3nqub9Gb6kNBC9-
y8fQjiQeiVbqTlWw&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=whryeAu2VDAw0A4qCveouUAPvrII88s2GQ5mvOo2PWA&s=Zl
kQsncPw-Vn3nqub9Gb6kNBC9-y8fQjiQeiVbqTlWw&e=

  George Kirikos:Do we know the exact list of members of the IGO small
group? (i.e. did each of them submit a comment to us?)

  George Kirikos:World Bank is interesting, since they've actually won
UDRPs.

  Paul Tattersfield:Surely they only need to register in 1 country to use
UDRP

  George Kirikos:@Paul: Indeed.

  George Kirikos:I didn't understand that comment by them.

  Paul Tattersfield:actually they don't even need to register in one country
because UDRP doesn't require the registration of a mark for standing

  George Kirikos:Yes, common law. And Article 6ter is a
complement/supplement, to show those common law rights to their usual names.

  George Kirikos:+1 Petter

  Paul Tattersfield:+1 Petter

  George Kirikos:UNESCO

  George Kirikos:10.b is interesting, since they claim that the mutual
jurisdiction won't affect them. :-)

  Poncelet Ileleji:+1 Peter

  Paul Tattersfield:On immunity the United Nations Convention on
Jurisdictional Immunities of States and Their Property (2004) may be worth
further study (I don't remember the working group looking at it previously}

  Paul Tattersfield:Article 14 for example places considerable restrictions
on foreign states seeking to invoke immunity in disputes on intellectual
property

  George
Kirikos:https://treaties.un.org/doc/source/RecentTexts/English_3_13.pdf

  George Kirikos:We might be able to get to the International Finance
Corporation today (8 minutes left), since the UPU comment is so short.

  George Kirikos:IFC comment is just one-and-a-half pages.

  George Kirikos:That's a puzzling comment -- they claim that a domain owner
would try to LOSE the UDRP, in order to arrive at court? Very odd.

  George Kirikos:Oh, I understand it now --- they're saying that a
complainant would make the IGO a respondent in the UDRP, in order to get to
court. That's something that could take place now.

  George Kirikos:(but hasnt happened, in 10+ years)

  George Kirikos:Actually, 18+ years.

  Steve Chan:Time chec...

  Steve Chan:*check*

  Terri Agnew:IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms
Working Group call will take place on Thursday, 27 April 2017 at 16:00 UTC
for 90 minutes

  George Kirikos:Bye folks! Have a great day!

  Jay Chapman:thanks, all

  Paul Tattersfield:Thanks Petter, everyone. Bye All

  Poncelet Ileleji:bye all