[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Option #6 reminder

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Wed Dec 6 12:49:07 UTC 2017

I notice I hadn't responded to this email yet. Briefly, I think
everyone understands what the proposal is --- getting the exact
wording correct is an *implementation* issue, not a policy issue.

Furthermore, I don't agree that we should limit ourselves only to
policy recommendations specific to IGOs -- it would create somewhat
absurd situations. Indeed, Phil has previously criticized Option A is
that it singled out IGOs for "disparate treatment", see middle of
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2017-November/000921.html
-- that email didn't make it to the entire list, but was included in
my reply, namely:

"That language made clear to me that Option 1/A would single IGOs out
for disparate treatment in the UDRP....."

a criticism that applies equally well to Option 2/C by the way, or to
Option 6 if Phil wants it to be focused on IGOs alone --- only because
we're being *asked* by some to tailor it only to IGOs!

Indeed, in a different email, Phil claimed:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2017-November/000945.html

"In regard to "UDRP policy changes are beyond our remit", that is incorrect."

A policy fix like Option #6 would help ensure that the UDRP is robust
to more situations, including disputes involving IGOs..

Going back to the metaphor of a "software bug fix", suppose we were a
working group doing a code audit of MIcrosoft's French-language
version of Windows 10. If during that audit we discovered a software
bug that affected *all* versions of Windows (not just the French
language version), what would we do?

Some people seem to suggest we should write code like: (pseudo code)

(a) IF (this is the French Language Version of Windows 10) THEN (FIX THE BUG);
     ELSEIF (this is NOT the French Language Version of Windows 10)
THEN (DO NOTHING);

That would be bizarre, in my view.

Our solution should be simple and elegant:

(b) FIX THE BUG  (for all Windows versions)

Indeed, the criticism that the solution (b) above is "overbroad", and
that solution (a) is somehow more desirable wouldn't make any sense.
(b) is as broad as it should be, as it completely fixes the problem
whereas (a) would be needlessly narrow.