[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] PLEASE COMPLETE SURVEY to detect consensus on Options A, B or C

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Mon Oct 16 22:38:11 UTC 2017

Thank you for sharing your views, George.

WG members are under no obligation to share how they marked the survey and are assured of complete confidentiality.

That said, I will share how I completed mine, which was exactly the opposite of you. WG members can accord my views whatever consideration they believe is merited, including none at all.

Option A - Do not support because it is DOA at GNSO Council. Those who participated in last week's webinar heard the current Chair of the Council opine that it "did not pass the smell test" and was likely to be rejected by Council. I have articulated my multiple substantive policy concerns for not supporting it many times, but the one that really stands out is having a WG that was charged by its Charter to assure effective access to CRP by IGOs recommending that UDRP policy and rules be altered so that IGOs, and IGOs alone, see the prior UDRP decision vitiated upon successfully asserting a judicial defense that results in case dismissal. That is why I have dubbed it "the Thelma and Louise option" -- because it will drive our Final Report off the cliff, and none of us have spent the last three years and then some working on this project for that sad and unnecessary result. Especially when the rest of the Report has strong consensus support, and this single remaining issue involves a situation that has never occurred and may never occur in the future.

Option B - Do not support because it is Option A in a more complex form, and likewise DOA.

Option C - Support enthusiastically because it is fair and balanced and consistent with our prior WG decisions that ICANN should not try to predetermine judicial outcomes or deny any party their legal rights. It preserves a domain registrant's access to a court of mutual jurisdiction when an IGO is the Complainant, and likewise permits an IGO to assert an immunity defense in that national court. And it improves the situation for registrants over the status quo because if and when an IGO is successful in that defense the registrant can still get a decision regarding the disposition of the domain in an arbitration forum that will decide the matter under the same national law that the appeal was brought under, whereas under current policy the registrant would have no further recourse and the adverse UDRP decision would be implemented. It also may result in more adverse UDRP rulings being appealed by registrants because it allows appeal directly to a lower cost and faster arbitration forum when both parties mutually agree to that route. While I cannot predict the outcome of any Council vote, I am personally confident that a Final Report containing Option C can receive its support, perhaps even by a supermajority vote that can help assure Board approval at the next stage of review.

Policymaking is about compromise and the art of the possible.

Best to all, Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal

Virtualaw LLC

1155 F Street, NW