[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Susan Kawaguchi misleads the GNSO Council on yesterday's call as to Recommendation #5 and "consensus"

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Aug 17 13:13:08 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

Yesterday, GNSO Council had a call, where the IGO PDP was a topic. See:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2018-August/021686.html

for links to the Adobe Connect and MP3, etc.

The IGO PDP topic started at around 1:21:25 into the Adobe Connect recording:

https://participate.icann.org/p377bzpfiry/

At 1:21:25 into the Adobe Connect recording, Susan made a clearly
false statement regarding Recommendation #5, stating there "was not
really a consensus on" it!

We know for a fact that Recommendation #5 reached consensus. See page
6 of the Final Report at:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2018-July/021597.html

which was posted to the GNSO Council.

I found it shocking that Susan would make such an obviously false statement.

I was listening to the call "live", and emailed her (and Heather,
Rafik and Donna) immediately, asking her to correct her false
statement (perhaps she intended to say "Full Consensus" --
Recommendation #1 did reach "Full Consensus", and all the other
recommendations reached "Consensus"). She did not do so before the end
of that call, nor since.

I ask that she correct her statement now, lest the GNSO Council
continue to be misled by her false statement. Failure to do so would
imply that it wasn't an innocent misstatement, but is instead a
deliberate falsehood.

As an aside, I'll note that the GNSO Council didn't vote on the Final
Report in July's GNSO Council meeting, nor at yesterday's call. Nor
are they likely to vote on anything at the next call in September,
given yesterday barely scratched the surface on the topic (probably
most GNSO Council members haven't even read the report yet).
Yesterday's call was all about process (and trying to undermine the
report), rather than actual policy and substance. This provides
further support for the email I sent in July about the premature
deadline for our report:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-July/001385.html

how our PDP was duped into producing a rushed and half-ready report
for no good reason.

Susan was right about one thing on yesterday's call, though. There
will be at least one more "minority" (really a "majority") report to
come, to attempt to put on the record before GNSO Council (and
ultimately the Board) what should have been in the Final Report,
namely the strong reasoning and justification for our recommendations.