[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] FOR REVIEW: Updated Draft Final Report

Paul Tattersfield gpmgroup at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 11:39:36 UTC 2018

In section 2.1.1 under Recommendation #3 under paragraph 2 (page 16 of 91)
please can we add an additional explanatory paragraph?

This recommendation originated in the Working Group’s initial preliminary
recommendation (published in its Initial Report) concerning an IGO’s
standing to file a UDRP or URS complaint based on compliance with the
communications and notification procedure under Article 6*ter* of the Paris
Convention. In that preliminary recommendation, the Working Group had made
a distinction between the procedural matter of standing and the further
need for a complainant to prove that it has also satisfied the substantive
elements required by the UDRP and URS. The Working Group had therefore
recommended that a Policy Guidance document be prepared and issued by ICANN
to clarify the applicability of Article 6*ter* as well as the other
procedural options available to IGOs. In light of the Working Group’s
subsequent decision to modify its original recommendation concerning
Article 6*ter*, its recommendation for Policy Guidance has also been
amended to refer specifically to the procedural filing options available
under the current UDRP and URS.

Policy Guidance should advise the IGOs and INGOs in the first instance to
contact the registrars of record for any domains involved in the harms they
are seeking address. The overwhelming majority of registrars are willing to
deal with such behaviour at no cost and in a timely manner for both
infringing and non infringing domains. In the unlikely event a registrar
would not wish to help ICANN has contractual provisions in place to
investigate the reasons for such a decision.