[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] FOR REVIEW: Updated Draft Final Report

Corwin, Philip pcorwin at verisign.com
Thu Jul 5 14:07:48 UTC 2018

I don’t understand the proposed language.

If an IGO succeeds in asserting an immunity defense there will be no legal proceedings because the case will be dismissed.

The basic rule for judicial “appeals” of UDRP decisions is that they are de novo proceedings with no reference on the merits to the preceding UDRP; they are not determined per the UDRP factors but under the statute law of the jurisdiction regarding trademark infringement. Reference to the preceding UDRP case would arise where an immunity defense is raised on the question of whether the IGO waived immunity by filing a UDRP, but if the defense is not successful the proceeding will proceed de novo on the merits.

Philip S. Corwin

Policy Counsel

VeriSign, Inc.

12061 Bluemont Way