[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] George Kirikos comments on July 2, 2018 draft final report, Part 3 (was Re: FOR REVIEW: Updated Draft Final Report)

Corwin, Philip pcorwin at verisign.com
Thu Jul 5 14:50:25 UTC 2018

Thank you Petter and Mary.

I am the last person around who wants to prolong this WG.

Let’s see how far we get on today’s call. However, I note that George has sent three separate emails proposing a multitude of edits, and each deserves airing and a decision on whether it should be accepted. Once that exercise is completed, I would suggest that a revised redline be posted to the entire WG list so that members who are not on the call have a decent opportunity to review and comment on them prior to final acceptance.

Again, I must state that 8 am ET on Monday the 9th is not an acceptable deadline for the filing of Minority Statements. The Final Report is still a moving target and may not be locked down for several more days at a minimum. It is not reasonable to set a MS deadline that may be in advance of agreement on Final Report. Further, once I finish writing my statement I must run it past my superior for review before it can be filed, and right now we are bot a day-and-a-half away from the end of the work week.

I therefore repeat my request that, in the event that a Final Report is filed on July 9th, WG members be provided with four additional days until Friday the 13th to file Minority Statements – after four years of work I don’t think that requesting four extra days is unreasonable. I would think that Council would be amenable to a placeholder section for Minority Reports given its decision to ask the WG to complete its task just ten days after the close of the Panama meeting. Receipt of Minority Statements on 7/13 will still give Councilors six days to review them prior to the 7/19 Council meeting.

In addition, given the Council’s intense focus on launching an EPDP relating to GDPR and WHOIS, as well as the fact that we are submitting a Final Report that is certain to generate GAC advice that is highly negative, it is a distinct possibility that Council will opt to defer any decision on a Motion regarding the Final Report until its August meeting.

Thank you and best regards,

Philip

Philip S. Corwin

Policy Counsel