[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] FW: Proposed Revision of Consensus Levels

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Wed Jun 13 16:45:21 UTC 2018

Phil,

You said:

> Option 1 for Recommendation 5 received support from 11 WG members and
> opposition from 3; those opposed constituted 21.5% of all members expressing a
> view.
>
> Option 4 for Recommendation 5 received support from 10 members and opposition
> from 3; those opposed constituted 23% of all members expressing a view. That
> is just shy of one-quarter of all responses.
I am not at all sure I can agree with you about what is significant vs
insignificant.

The significance of the opposition is more properly measured in context of
those in support and not merely in the context of the total number of
participants expressing an opinion.  Further, just simply looking at
opposition as an aggregate group leads to further inappropriate conclusions.
An opposition of 4 cannot be expressed as ³significant" if each of the 4 had
differing reasons for opposition or opted to support alternative options
within Recommendation #5.   It would be even less ³significant² if 2 were
completely opposed to the entire Recommendation (regardless of option) and
the other 2 were merely opposed to Option 1 but favored a different Option
to the same recommendation number 5.

Thus, more  appropriate viewing would be:

Option 1:
In Favor:  11 (79%)
Opposed:  3  (21%)
>> Explanatory note (example only):  Several members in opposition expressed
>> support for competing options for Recommendation Number 5.  One member was
>> completely opposed to Recommendation Number 5 regardless of option.

Option 4:
In Favor:  10  (77%)
Opposed:  3  (23%)
>>  Explanatory note (example only):  Several members in opposition expressed
>> support for competing options for Recommendation Number 5.  One member was
>> completely opposed to Recommendation Number 5 regardless of option.

My 2 cents.

Paul
From:  Gnso-igo-ingo-crp <gnso-igo-ingo-crp-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of
"Corwin, Philip via Gnso-igo-ingo-crp" <gnso-igo-ingo-crp at icann.org>