[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] [Ext] Re: Question about Professor Swaine's memo

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Wed Jun 13 18:07:17 UTC 2018

Mary,

With all respect, you are very very incorrect regarding the jurisprudence of
sovereign immunity.

The doctrine does exist in several treaties.  Treaties in turn (by
definition) constitute the supreme law of each jurisdiction having agreed to
them.  This is the case in the US just as in other jurisdictions.

The doctrine also exists in statutory form in virtually all jurisdictions,
including the US.

The doctrine is NOT a judicially created doctrine.  The APPLICATION of the
law (either via treaty or statute) is a function of the judiciary.  In
common law jurisdictions, the resulting case opinion can be cited as
president in other disputes as relevant and if applicable are controlling in
any future dispute brought before subservient courts in the same judiciary
branch (e.g. In the US, decisions of the US Supreme Court bind all federal
courts but they bind State courts only as to matters of federal law - State
supreme courts govern those state courts below them in authority with
respect to state law matters).  The same applies in virtually all, if not
all, other countries.  In non­common law jurisdictions prior judicial
decisions are informative only but not precedential.

I know you are not a lawyer and are trying to help.  However, mis-stating
the law is in reality not helpful and leads to a great deal of confusion
which takes a good amount of effort to rectify.

As to Professor Swain, you are confusing two issues namely:

Impact  when the IGO brings an action as the plaintiff (or claimant)

Impact when the IGO is merely a defendant.

In the former, the IGO is always deemed to have waived immunity.  This is
stated in Swain¹s memo.

In the latter, the IGO preserves issues of immunity because it did not
initiate the process.  It can be held to NOT have immunity based on the
reason it has been brought into court.

In the UDRP context, the IGO initiated the process AND that process
expressly contains a right to seek post UDRP litigation remedies.  As
concerns the Respondent, the right to post-UDRP litigation is an absolute
right.  As concerns the Complainant (the IGO), post-UDRP litigation remains
an option.

The Policy clearly provides for the selection of a Mutual Jurisdiction that
applies in the event of post-UDRP litigation BUT the selection is make ONLY
by the Complainant.  There is no provision by which the Respondent agrees to
any jurisdiction for post-UDRP litigation.

Thus, because the Policy contains an express right for the Respondent to
pursue post-UDRP litigation AND contains a MJ selection for that very
purpose, it is the NGO who has waived immunity claims.  Thus, the post-UDRP
litigation is in effect a continuation of the prior UDRP ­ an action brought
by the NGO.

The issue is far different from that occurring if the domain owner merely
initiated litigation to seek declaratory relief (a declaration that the
domain name did not infringe).  In such a case, it would be new litigation
and not a continuation of process.  The NGO thus retains any immunity
defense it otherwise had.

In his memo, Swain (rather in-artfully) switches from one situation to
another but does not clarify that the analysis changes depending on the
situation.  This leads to a confusion as to whether the issue of immunity
remains applicable in the context of post-UDRP litigation.

I believe this is what is eating at Paul.

As to the transfer, I believe Paul is referring to the fact that the UDRP
itself has resulted in a  decision to transfer a property right from the
Respondent to the NGO.  The Respondent has the right to suspend the effect
of the UDRP decision (transfer of the domain) by timely filing litigation in
the MJ.  The UDRP decision is then held in abeyance pending the outcome of
the post-UDRP litigation.  Thus, in effect a transfer of rights has
occurred.  It is just the carrying out of the actual transfer that has been
deferred.

I think we can all agree that the Policy was never intended to allow for
such post-UDRP litigation but then preclude any remedy to the Respondent
because of immunity issues belatedly asserted by the UDRP complainant.  Such
would undercut the most basic of foundational elements of the policy ­ that
the rights to judicial review remain.

I hope this helps.

@Paul, please chip in if I have made an error above.

Paul