[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Very serious issues with The Swaine Memo & the proposed Final Report

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Mon May 14 10:08:27 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

1. The web archive of this mailing list removes the formatting, so
none of the colours appear, see:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2018-May/001199.html

so it might be wise to resend the coloured text as a PDF, DOCX, or
even a screenshot (GIF/JPG) so that it's properly preserved in the
records of this PDP.

2. I also quoted from Page 8 back in May 2016, when raising concerns
about the report before our conference call with Professor Swaine.
See:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2016-May/000518.html

1. Page 8 appears very confused. (both the paragraph above
"Discussion", and the paragraph after it). The base scenario, in the
absence of the UDRP, is that the IGO would file a complaint in court,
thereby explicitly waiving any immunity, as they brought the action.
The "imagined scenario" used in the paper is not helpful at all,
because "legitimate expectations" absent the UDRP for an IGO are vary.
"Immunity" is only a defense to an action, so of course the IGO will
have "legitimate expectations" in defending a lawsuit that it did not
initiate. However, "legitimate expectations" when an IGO *initiates* a
dispute are quite different! The legitimate expectations are that if
it initiates a court case, then it waives immunity.

So, I believe the professor needs to go back and look at that, because
the statement "imagining that scenario usefully isolates the question
as to whether an IGO has a legitimate expectation that it would be
entitled to immunity *absent* the UDRP and its concessions" is simply
wrong, because of that asymmetry (between initiating vs defending a
dispute). Thus, one can't *isolate* the question by focusing on one,
because the answers are different due to that asymmetry.

Indeed, if one reads on, this has important bearings on the paper. "If
such immunity is minimal or uncertain, then any compromises required
by the UDRP loom less large."

Absent the UDRP, immunity is *non-existent* for the IGO that initiates
a dispute in court. Thus, "any compromises required by the UDRP" in
reality do "loom less large." This goes to the heart of everything
(i.e. argues for the maintenance of the status quo).

Indeed, if one jumps to page 23, the professor writes:

"Beyond tolerating an infringement of its interests, an IGO might in
principle elect instead to proceed first (or solely) to court. This is
undoubtedly unappealing, because it would accomplish waiver by other
means. Even so, that would be the alternative were the UDRP not to
exist in its present form; it is not as though a preexisting or
independent privilege were being conditioned or withdrawn. IGOs might
also take some consolation from the advantages afforded them by the
UDRP, which—but for cases in which judicial review is later sought by
a losing registrant—affords them an efficient recourse to which they
are not otherwise entitled."

which again reinforces my position (i.e. that the legitimate
expectation absent the UDRP is that the IGO *would* waive immunity
when filing a complaint in court).

So, combining pages 8 and 23, there's really only one valid
conclusion, namely that "any compromises required by the UDRP" in
reality do "loom less large."

This was the text I was trying to recall during our call last week,
when the topic came up. I think that was at the core of Paul
Tattersfield's concerns.