[Gnso-igo-ingo] FOR INFORMATION: Notes on certain points raised during the 17 August call of the reconvened Working Group on Red Cross protections

Stephane Hankins shankins at icrc.org
Mon Aug 28 14:32:18 UTC 2017

Dear Chuck, dear all,

(1) We can confirm that the rules/prohibitions foreseen under Article 44,
Par. 1 of the first Geneva Convention, as quoted by Jorge below, extend to
both the use of the emblems per se and of the words (or designations or
names) "Red Cross", "Red Crescent" and Red Lion and Sun".

Reference may also be made to

-       the subsequent paragraph of Article 44 (Paragraph 2) of the first
Geneva Convention, which confirms the prerogative of National Red Cross
and Red Crescent Societies to make use of the name "Red Cross" ("Red
Crescent", "Red Lion and Sun") for their own activities carried out in
peacetime or in times of armed conflict:

-       Article 53 of the same first Geneva Convention which defines
prohibitions on the use of the emblem or the designation "Red Cross" (or
"Geneva Cross" - although as you will realise we did not add this
designation to the list of words or strings to be protected from
registration, as the latter is no longer in use and in order to avoid
extending the list or strings to be reserved).

Without wanting to enter into a debate on semantics, the Oxford Dictionary
defines the nown "designation" as "an official name, description, or
title" - not a design or figurative symbol. The intention of the
Convention and of its drafters was to protect both the emblems (figurative
design or symbols), as well as the words.

(2) We are in the process of compiling extracts from national legislation
confirming:
- the prohibitions on the use of the words and designations in line with
the provisions of the 1949 Geneva Conventions and their Additional
Protocol of 2005 (in addition to the emblems and symbols); as well as
- the entitlement of the respective components of the International Red
Cross and Red Crescent Movement (including the National Red Cross and Red
Crescent Societies) to make use of the words / designations for indicative
(identification) purposes at all times.

Kind regards,

Stéphane