[Gnso-igo-ingo] Fw: Proposed agenda for the first meeting of this reconvened PDP Working Group on Red Cross names

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 21:51:12 UTC 2017

To be clear, I was not taking the position we must refuse membership to
anyone not in the original group.  I was however taking the position that
this raised some procedural questions, both generally and in this
particular set of facts, that should be recognized

Generally -- I don't know if we have ever had a "reconvened" or "reformed"
GNSO Working Group pursuant to Section 16 before.  The process of
reconvening the group (beyond contacting the original group) is ad hoc, and
whatever we do here sets a precedent.  Decisions will need to be made about
how to populate the group based on who actually returns to the group and
who is added to the group, the composition and balance of the group could
be significantly different.  It will be up to the Chair, and ultimately the
GNSO Council, to determine whether the composition is appropriate, based on
GNSO Procedures and Working Group Guidelines.  Having given one group the
opportunity to supplement the original Working Group, other Stakeholder
Groups and Constituencies and other Supporting Organizations and Advisory
Groups should be given the same opportunity -- both to replace members who
may have moved on and to add new members who are not replacing anybody.
This does not require an open call for volunteers.  All it requires is an
email to the SO/AC/SG/C/RALO chairs advising them of this opportunity.
That would be sufficiently transparent and fair.

In this particular set of facts -- it is not common for a Working Group to
be convened (or reconvened) solely to deal with issues that affect a single
stakeholder (or that stakeholder and its affiliates).  As a matter of fact,
I can't think of any time that this happened, though I am not as
experienced as some.  But that is what we have here.  It might strike some
as peculiar for that stakeholder's very first act in the (re)convening of
that group to be a request to add several new members sympathetic to its
positions.  The addition of several new members to a relatively small group
can have a significant impact on the group's outcome.  I'm not suggesting
any ulterior motives and I accept Jorge's explanation.  Nonetheless, it
would be good to dispel even the merest appearance of seeking to modify the
composition of the group to achieve a more favorable outcome.  Again, this
can be accomplished by the email to the various chairs.  While this request
may be innocent in this instance, it is not difficult to imagine a future
situation where a group attempted to "pack" a reconvened group, seeking to
take advantage of the fact that there won't be an open call for new members.

Consistent with the above, my request of staff is simple -- to send an
email to the various chairs advising them that their groups should consider
replacing members that are not showing up and also can add additional
members to this group as well.  That will get us started on the right foot.

Greg