[Gnso-igo-ingo] GAC Communique - section on Red Cross names

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Thu Nov 2 12:29:35 UTC 2017

Dear all,

The GAC Communique from ICANN60 has just been published, and contains a paragraph on our work. Note that it is not in the section that contains formal GAC advice, and does not contain a specific request to this Working Group; however, I thought you may wish to note the GAC’s remarks.

The relevant text is:
“Following its most recent advice adopted in the Copenhagen and Johannesburg Communiqués, the GAC welcomed the progress made by the GNSO's re-convened PDP Working Group on the Protection of IGO-INGO Identifiers in All gTLDs, tasked with re-examining the GNSO’s past recommendations on the protection of Red Cross and Red Crescent designations, names and identifiers – particularly of the names of national Red Cross and Red Crescent societies. The GAC noted that the acronyms of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC, CICR, MKKK) and of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC, FICR) are defined to fall outside of the remit of the reconvened GNSO Working Group and recalled its advice (Durban Communiqué, 2013) that these acronyms be made to benefit from the same cost neutral mechanisms to be worked out for the protection of acronyms of IGOs.”

The full Communique can be viewed here: https://gacweb.icann.org/download/attachments/27132037/GAC%20ICANN60%20Communique_Final.pdf?version=2&modificationDate=1509619814918&api=v2

Thanks and cheers
Mary