[Gnso-igo-ingo] Red Cross Reconvened WG - Upcoming Calls

Stephane Hankins shankins at icrc.org
Mon Jul 16 09:14:06 UTC 2018

Dear Thomas, dear Berry,
Dear all,

Thank you to Berry for his message.

Further to the recent GNSO Council session held in Panama, I am sharing
herewith in track-changes our remaining suggestions and comments on the
Initial Report and its Recommendations.
We have also added a few minor comments on form (we would for instance
recommend that the positions of the International Red Cross and Red
Crescent Movement be attributed, in the draft Report, to the “Red Cross
and Red Crescent” and not simply to the Red Cross).

Our main comments on the substance of the Report concern two issues:
-          The first is once again to recommend that the Report clearly
formulate that its recommendations do not affect or bring into question
the temporary protections presently accorded to those Red Cross and Red
Crescent terms/identifiers that are outside of the reconvened Working
Group’s purview. These include in particular the acronyms/initials of the
International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and of the International
Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).

-          The second pertain to the reservations that have been requested
by several National Societies to cover the short names “Red Cross” or “Red
Crescent” in their national language(s). It is our understanding that the
Working Group agreed to such protections in principle and thus, on the
cumulative conditions that i) the short version of the name constitute a
commonly used name/identifier of the National Society, and that ii) such
short names be protected under the domestic legislation of the concerned
National Society’s national State. This was in our understanding concurred
to by Working Group members. It appears however that the inclusion of the
short names into the list of protected strings is presented in the draft
Report as not agreed.

We would also recommend that the list of National Societies’ names not be
referred to as “definitive” and thus, given that a procedure is foreseen
(i) for corrections and (ii) for eventual additions to the list (i.e.
should new National Societies be established and recognized as components
of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement in the future).

The dates of 26 July and 2 August at 14UTC for 1.5 hours would work for
me.

Pending the next telephone conference, to all a great summer season.

Best regards,

Stéphane

Stéphane J. Hankins
Legal adviser
Cooperation and Coordination within the Movement
International Committee of the Red Cross
Tel (Prof.):++41 22 730 24 19