[Gnso-igo-ingo] Additional Information (Re: Recordings, attendance & AC Chat | Reconvened IGO-INGO Protections in all gTLDs PDP Working Group on Red Cross Names Call to Discuss Recommendations| Wednesday, 12 September 2018)

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Fri Sep 14 00:46:52 UTC 2018

Dear Chuck and everyone,

To follow up on Chuck’s request, the legal requirements for the formation and recognition of a National Society by the International Committee of the Red Cross are listed in Article 4 of the Statutes of the International Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement: https://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/misc/6erk5h.htm (these were also summarized by the Red Cross representatives and discussed at the facilitated discussion held in Copenhagen, March 2017, during ICANN57: https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/transcript-gac-igo-rc-protection-1-11mar17-en.pdf).

Additional Information:
The International Federation of Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies is the official representative of its member national societies, and it has specific rules of procedure governing the admittance of National Societies: https://media.ifrc.org/ifrc/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2018/02/02_IFRC-Rules-of-Procedures-FINAL-EN.pdf (see, in particular, Rule 2). Collectively, the International Committee of the Red Cross, the International Federation of Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies and the National Societies comprise the International Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement, which is governed by the International Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, the Council of Delegates and the Standing Commission (https://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/misc/components-movement.htm).

Overview of Working Group Deliberation Process:
At an early stage in its deliberations, the Reconvened PDP Working Group discussed the legal basis and public policy rationale for protecting the designations of the Red Cross National Societies and international movement; you can find the meeting records at https://community.icann.org/display/GWGTCT/2017+Meetings. The discussions included a review of the relevant parts of the prior PDP work and documents submitted for the March 2017 Copenhagen facilitated discussions and subsequently by the Red Cross. These discussions covered the scope of the Geneva Conventions and public policy rationale documented in GAC advice (for instance, at the 17 August 2017 meeting: https://community.icann.org/display/GWGTCT/2017-08-17+IGO+INGO+PDP+Working+Group+on+Red+Cross+names) and also included email follow ups; for instance, Stephane Hankin of the Red Cross specifically responded with additional comments on the legal and public policy basis for protection: https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo/2017-September/000087.html.

The Reconvened PDP Working Group spent a significant portion of its 2018 meetings discussing a process for additions to the list of names (i.e. when a new National Society is formed and recognized) as well as corrections; and it also discussed criteria for determination of the common and usual names (variants) of the list of recognized National Societies submitted by the Red Cross; these meeting records can be reviewed at https://community.icann.org/display/GWGTCT/2018+Meetings. As Chuck noted, these discussions took into account the practical difficulty of having to convene a PDP to approve changes and corrections.

We hope this additional and more specific information is helpful.

Cheers
Mary & Berry