[gnso-igo-wt] FOR DISCUSSION: Summary of Agreements & Options

McGrady, Paul D. PMcGrady at taftlaw.com
Fri Mar 12 13:14:53 UTC 2021

Thanks Brian. Same answer:

That portion of the UDRP Policy is written to the domain name registrant, not the trademark holder and it states:

“a. Applicable Disputes. You are required to submit to a mandatory administrative proceeding in the event that a third party (a "complainant") asserts to the applicable Provider, in compliance with the Rules of Procedure, that (i) your domain name is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the complainant has rights; and”

This portion of the Policy has to do with the mandatory effect of the UDRP procedure upon a domain name registrant.  It does not say that there is a standing requirement for a Complainant.  If the Complainant files a UDRP complaint and doesn’t have the requisite rights, the Complaint will fail, but there is no mechanism to deny access “standing” to the failure of the Complainant to have such rights.  Let’s game this out by way of example:

Respondent has registered the domain name < littleorphananniegoestothezoo.com> and is using it for payperclick ads promoting children’s books.  Complainant files a complaint asserting that it has trademark rights to the mark GOLDEN LAMP OF MAGICALNESS in International Class 1 for “putties and other paste fillers” and claims the domain name is identical or confusingly similar to their trademark and that the registrant has registered and is using the domain name in bad faith.  What happens?

·       Can the Respondent file a motion asking for the case to be dismissed because the Complainant lacks standing?  No.

·       Does the provider Case Manager bounce the complaint because, in their opinion, the trademark asserted is not confusingly similar to the domain name?  Also No.  That would make the Case Manager the Panelist, not the Case Manager.  Now, a very nice case manager may reach out to the Complainant (or their counsel) and ask if there is a typo – fair enough – but a unilateral decision to bounce the complaint?  No.

So, there is no barrier to access (standing) within the UDRP context.  Respectfully, the prior work on granting “Standing” appears to have created standing out of thin air and then attempted to grant it.  But it just isn’t a UDRP concept.  What is a UDRP concept is if the Complainant doesn’t have adequate trademark rights it can’t prevail (and other bad things might happen, e.g. a RDH finding, but again, that is a substantive decision on the merits of the case, not an issue of who can file).  The UDRP Rule is quite unambiguous: ““(a) Any person or entity may initiate an administrative proceeding by submitting a complaint in accordance with the Policy and these Rules to any Provider approved by ICANN.”

IGOs either have trademark rights sufficient to prevail in a UDRP complaint, or they don’t.  That is up the Panelist to whom the case file is assigned.  But standing?  That is not a problem – anyone can file.  As suggested below, we should avoid conjuring up “standing” and then creating trademarkish rights to grant the conjured up “standing” - not only because standing isn’t a UDRP thing (everyone has it) but because ICANN is not a supranational trademark legislature that can create trademarkish rights as it sees fit.

Seems to me we should save a bunch of time by merely noting that (1) everyone has standing to file a complaint; and (2) Panelist decide whether or not trademark rights asserted by a complainant (IGO or otherwise), and bad faith registration and use by the Respondent, are sufficient for a complaint to succeed on the merits.  We can then move on to the primary issue here which is how do we balance the right for a losing Respondent to seek whatever rights to have their local court overturn a decision they don’t like vs. an IGO’s distaste for getting sued in places they don’t want to get sued.  I have some very straightforward thoughts on how to fix that as well, but one problem at a time.

Best,
Paul