[gnso-igo-wt] Agenda RPM - IGO Curative Rights Work Track for 10 May 2021 15:00 UTC Meeting

BECKHAM Brian brian.beckham at wipo.int
Mon May 10 11:16:46 UTC 2021

Thanks Berry, also for having incorporated Alexandra’s comments into the Google Doc.

Apologies for a suggestion which would require a little bit of re-organizing, but I would like to suggest that at a documentary level, we consider zooming out and that the left-most column is an agreed high-level topic, e.g., “standing” (or if preferable:  “applicable disputes”), then we move to what is currently provided for under the UDRP followed by identified issues for IGOs with that current text, and then that Paul’s (IPC) views are placed in the right-most column on equal footing with other’s views.

I would also like to point out regarding the comment “about ICANN becoming a trademarkish rights-granting organization” even if meant in a lighthearted way, that this misconstrues the issue.  I am not aware of any suggestion that there are not (source-identifying) rights in IGO identifiers.  Indeed, this group has discussed the concept of what would be required to show evidence of use of such an identifier (in commerce), and as Alexandra has pointed out in the chart, in the context of our discussions that identifier flows from States creating a treaty -- for the named organization to perform certain public functions.

Brian