[gnso-igo-wt] PLEASE REVIEW: Updated draft text for Recommendation 3

Matthew.COLEMAN at oecd.org Matthew.COLEMAN at oecd.org
Mon Feb 7 12:02:38 UTC 2022

Dear All,

Many thanks to Steve, Berry and Mary for circulating this.

We (the IGO Group) have discussed Option 1 and are uncomfortable with the requirement for an IGO complainant to specify a court for the registrant in case it wishes to initiate court proceedings. This may well be deemed to constitute a submission to jurisdiction, and it is not clear whether the reservation of immunities would be effective.

We would therefore be grateful if the group could work off Option 2 on this afternoon’s call. The language we have proposed seeks to circumvent the issue above, as it does not require an IGO complainant to nominate a court. The outcome for the registrant is also broadly the same – its right to go to court if it wishes is reaffirmed.

We look forward to speaking with you later this afternoon.

Kind regards,

Matt