[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] Consensus Call 1: Technical Capability to be evaluated after application, before contract signing

Roger D Carney rcarney at godaddy.com
Fri Dec 16 14:27:36 UTC 2016

Good Morning,

Just following along with a few of the questions/ideas Jeff raised.

Are we trying to create an application process that does not take technical considerations into account until the TLD has been basically “awarded” to a single applicant?

I think that would create a situation where many applicants would not understand the technical expertise and/or true costs needed to run a registry until after contention sets have been resolved and they will get to that spot and say “oh that is too hard” or “oh that is too expensive.”

I think the technical questions and the discussions with the registry service providers are needed for Registry Operators to understand the true complexities and costs of running a TLD and realistically should be done prior to applying. And it seems like waiting to do this until after contention set resolution could be costly to the applicants and process.

Thanks
Roger