[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] Notes and Action Items: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - Track 4 - 05 October 2017

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Tue Oct 10 21:31:18 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Cheryl has asked that we consider an be prepared to discuss Slides 12, 13, and 14 in the attachment in our October 12 call – three Straw Proposals re new registry services in applications.

Regarding the three Straw Proposals as to whether or not a registry operator needs to describe new services in its application, one item we have not fully considered is that the GAC is still likely to have input at the application stage.  If the GAC has input, I don’t think we want to foreclose the GNSO or other policy (e.g. ALAC) input to the Board.  There is also the Objection process to be considered and new registry services could be relevant to evaluating an Objection.  (This is also why the Answer to Question 18 – purpose of the TLD is relevant.)

One risk we face in Straw Proposals 1 and 3 (by not requiring new services to be listed in an application) is that the Community (including the GAC)  may want more involvement in the RSEP process.  For example, if no disclosure of new services is required in the application, should a public comment period for new services proposed via RSEP be mandatory?   (This is a transparency issue.)

The RSEP process is detailed at the link below.  It says that the new service may or may not call for public comment if it “sets new precedent or has substantial effect on ICANN, third parties, or the DNS.”  So at present ICANN org  determines this I guess.  To my mind there is a question whether a change in the application process that does not require a description of new services would necessarily implicate a reexamination of the RSEP process detailed here:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/workflow-2012-02-25-en

There is a comparison statement on Slide 15 which points out that Straw Proposal 2 requires all services to be described in the application.  However, the second part of Straw Proposal 2, establishment of a “fast-track” for pre-approved services definitely contemplated that pre-approved services can be named and that would certainly allow for a friendly amendment to Straw Proposal 2 to state that all new services should be detailed but that pre-approved services can just be listed.

So it seems that #1 and # 3 don’t require any listing of pre-approved services or new services.   This would leave any new services to the RSEP process and leave pre-approved services undisclosed in the application.    But the RSEP process doesn’t require public comment if ICANN org determines that is not needed.

Straw Proposal  # 2 requires listing of new services and assessment of any security/stability concerns, but could either specify (a) no listing of pre-approved services or a (b) simple listing of said pre-approved services (to be determined)  without a lot of detail.

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office

520.879.4725 fax