[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] Notes and Action Items: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - Track 4 - 05 October 2017

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Mon Oct 16 18:32:18 UTC 2017

Rubens,
If you check the transcripts, you will find that I first raised consideration of .home, .corp, and .mail in a F2F meeting.  At that time, no one said it was “out of scope.”  That position was developed later.

Later in a call of WT4, I raised this again.  You and Jeff said it was out of scope.  Then at a face-to-face meeting, Jordyn Buchanan also raised the possibility of applying the newly-developed Name Collision Framework to the 2012 TLDs that are on hold and said he thought it would make sense for the new framework to apply.   In that same F2F  meeting, you said we certainly would not object as a group to that, though I personally don’t recall when a consensus may have been developed on that point.

Avri has written publicly about this topic.  I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment expressed in her blog in 2016:

[cid:image003.png at 01D3437C.8583CF10]

See full text of blog here:  http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160302_whatever_happened_with_namespace_collision_issues_and_gtld_round/

I don’t think it serves the community for us to be burying our heads in the sand here.  The status of the applications for .home, .corp, and .mail is   “CONTENTION SET ON HOLD PENDING NAME COLLISION FRAMEWORK FINALIZATION”.   If there is no technical analysis in terms of degree of risk in relation to these three Top Level Domains that are frozen, we are developing policy for Subsequent Procedures while totally ignoring past experience.  Who does that?  These TLDs would HAVE to form part of that analysis in order for our recommendations to have any credibility whatsoever.

The question would be:  Do they fall under “DO NOT APPLY” or some other category and how are we setting the standards for “Do Not Apply” as well as low, medium, and high risk domains?  Thus far, we have NO PROGRESS in the Subteam on describing these categories and we are not seeking any paid independent technical advice on this.  This has nothing to do with “the best things in life (like family and friends) are free” and it will cause further delay in the process.  It should be quite obvious here that paid independent technical advice is needed to establish a Name Collision Framework for Subsequent Procedures and that any reasonable standard setting for that framework would take into account what happened in this arena in the 2012 round.

Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office