[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] Notes and Action Items: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - Track 4 - 05 October 2017

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Mon Oct 16 19:36:01 UTC 2017

Rubens and Cheryl,

In addition to my request for independent paid technical advice as to the proposed Name Collision Framework and the 4 categories of TLDs (rated as to namespace collision risk from DO NOT APPLY to low, medium, and high risk) that are being proposed in Work Track 4 of Sub Pro, I would like to confirm with the Co-Chairs of Work Track 4 that the proposed Name Collision Framework was forwarded to ICANN’s Security and Stability Advisory Committee for comment.

I believe the SSAC recommended the “DO NOT APPLY” Category in one of their reports to the Board.  (SSAC 90?)  We should be seeking SSAC input on the rest of the Framework in the same manner as we did with IETF, RIPE, and DNS-OARC.  But perhaps this was already done back in August when we sought the advice of IETF/IAB (as recommended by SSAC), and RIPE and DNS-OARC?

A link to a summary you sent out to RIPE in August appears here:

https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/dns-wg/2017-August/003448.html

Did we send this to SSAC for input?

My general points are

(1)    Work Track 4 should be consulting SSAC on a new Name Collision Framework in addition to IETF, RIPE, and DNS-OARC and

(2)     We should have independent paid technical advice on the proposed four categories of risk for a TLD, and should know what categories .home, .corp., and .mail fall in so that past experience informs future policy.

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office

520.879.4725 fax