[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] WT5 Agenda, Work Plan & Consensus Call on Country & Territory Names - Please review before our call.

Javier Rua javrua at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 16:33:19 UTC 2018

All:

This is a great and very granular conversation.  I truly encourage it. I understand and appreciate the equities and complexities on both sides (actually maybe there’s more than two sides to the issue!) and I feel quite lucky to be surrounded by such a great group of professionals in this WT.

Bottom-up multistakeholder consensual processes are evidently not easy tasks. The amount of good faith and hard work it takes to move half an inch in any direction or to even not move in any direction at all is truly great.  And I do sense and see that good faith in this WT.

We will definitely be moving along very soon, yet to keep the conversation going just for now (and for later food for thought) -and the conversation in itself is probably the most important value here-, allow me to pose a hypothetical (like I did in the past weeks with my “.apache” non-AGB geoname question):

-Right now, as you all know, the default standing status of 3-Letter country/territory codes is that they are “currently unavailable”.  Compared to no movement at all in this topic, what do you opine if only Countries & Territories could be the delegatees for the 3-Letter country-territory code normally associated with said Country or Territory (e.g. as used in the Olympic Games) and said TLD carried with it agreed upon public interest obligations and conditions usually associated with ccTLDs (or perhaps stronger yet to be determined conditions and obligations)?-

Javier Rúa-Jovet

+1-787-396-6511
twitter: @javrua
skype: javier.rua1