[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Action for WT5 Members - Definition of Geographic Terms

Nick Wenban-Smith Nick.Wenban-Smith at nominet.uk
Thu Jan 11 17:44:33 UTC 2018

Hi Jaap

I know that it's really important to be precise in terminology, and that (to quote the ISO website) "the purpose of ISO 3166 is to define internationally recognised codes of letters and/or numbers that we can use when we refer to countries and subdivisions". The definition of country names comes from the United Nations Statistics Division, according to the ISO website (the Terminology Bulletin Country Names and the Country and Region Codes for Statistical Use to be precise) .

RFC 1591 states that "the selection of the ISO 3166 list as a basis for country code top-level domain names was made with the knowledge that ISO has a procedure for determining which entities should be and should not be on that list".

Is it fair to say then that whilst 3166 obviously does not define country names that it is nonetheless a convenient reference point for what the UN Statistics Division considers to be a country name? Is there any other way this could be easily done without reference to the 3166? Or do we simply rely on the wording in AGB 2.2.1.4.1 (iiv) "it is a name by which a country is commonly known, as demonstrated by evidence that the country is recognized by that name by an intergovernmental or treaty organization".

I have no principled objection to moving away from 3166 if there is a better benchmark that could be used, but its long-standing use as an objective standard has at least given the community some certainty in this area.

Best wishes
Nick