[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Mp3, AC Chat & Attendance for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group 04 April 2016 22:00 UTC

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Wed Apr 6 15:16:06 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call held on Monday, 04 April 2016 at 22:00 UTC.

MP3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-04apr16-en.mp3

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/IxmAAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle DeSmyter

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Monday, 04 April 2016

Michelle DeSmyter:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call held on Monday, 04 April 2016 at 22:00 UTC
  Michelle DeSmyter:If you do wish to speak during the call, please either dial into the audio bridge and give the operator the password NEW gTLD, OR click on the telephone icon at the top of the AC room to activate your AC mics. Please remember to mute your phone and mics when not talking.
  Kavouss Arasteh:Hi Michelle, Hi steve, Hi all
  Michelle DeSmyter:Hello, welcome Kavouss!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Odd Audio  .. someone needs to mute
  Steve Chan:Hi Kavouss, everyone! Welcome to the call.
  Kavouss Arasteh:Michelle,
  Kavouss Arasteh:I have not been dialed up yet
  Kavouss Arasteh:Couls someone ask the operator to dial my Number pls
  Michelle DeSmyter:Hello Kavouss - I just sent you a private chat
  Jeff Neuman:Hello all
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):hi Jeff
  Steve Coates (Twitter):Just dialing in now.
  Yoshi Murakami(JPRS):Hi
  Jeff Neuman:Steve COates - You have a much better phone :)
  Vanda Scartezini:hi everyone!!
  Jeff Neuman:No its just my sloppy typing
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):LOL
  Frederic Guillemaut SafebRands:Hello all
  Phil Buckingham:hi  everyone
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:Hello
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:Dont need a phone bridge appaerntly all is fine
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez: thank you Steve
  Mary Wong:Per question about Dr Crocker's letter, it was to ask the WG (and the CCT Review Team) to review the concerns raised by the ALAC and the GAC regarding effectiveness of the PICS safeguards (from the GAC's Category 1)
  Vanda Scartezini:i will remain just at Adobe.
  Jeff Neuman:Someone should mute
  Mary Wong:Please mute if you're not speaking, thank you!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):MUTE
  Carlton Samuels:Howdy all
  Rudi Vansnick:sorry had connection problems ..
  Vanda Scartezini:hi Rudi, Carlton, Cheryl...
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Hi
  Rubens Kuhl:Echo echo echo
  Vanda Scartezini:ecco
  Carlton Samuels:Hi Vanda, CLO, Rudi
  Rudi Vansnick:a lot of well known  people here ;)
  Carlton Samuels:Hi Alan
  Alan Greenberg:Howdy
  Vanda Scartezini:hi Alan
  Craig - fTLD Registry:Can you please make the font a litttle larger?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):second readings in Meetings is a good practice
  Steve Chan:@Craig, you should be able to adjust the font size on your end
  Craig - fTLD Registry:Yep, thanks!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):and BTW  that started in ccNSO  FOI  WG  as a practice ;-)
  Martin Sutton BRG:Agree with Jeff - this helps with the time zones where some may not be able to join each call.
  Vanda Scartezini:+ 1 Alan
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Also a decision LOG  is helful
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):helpful
  Kavouss Arasteh:Alan+1
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO)::-)
  Alan Greenberg:First reading decision is normally the result of discussion and therefore not documentable ahead of time.
  Carlton Samuels:@CLO: +1 on decision logs
  Steve Coates (Twitter):I don't hear anything, Jeff.
  Kurt Pritz:What this list lacks is the Terms of Reference
  Kurt Pritz:There were four of them
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:do we still need the word "should"?
  Kurt Pritz:1) Whether there should be new TLDs.
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:I think IDNs are a fact of life now
  Kurt Pritz:2) What are the criteria for awarding them?
  Craig - fTLD Registry:Agree with Alan.
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:agree with Alan
  Steve Coates (Twitter):I tend to agree with Alan.
  Kurt Pritz:3) What is the allocation process
  Rubens Kuhl:At that time both ccTLD IDN Fast Track and gTLDs were under consideration.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):yup agree
  Kurt Pritz:4) What should be the contractual terms
  Donna Austin, Neustar:If any of these Principles are considered no longer available, do we need to formally say why this is so?
  Donna Austin, Neustar:sorry, no longer applicable ...
  Kurt Pritz:The principles, recommendations and implementation guidelines are meant to answer these four over arching questions
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):I would thnk a rationale  is important  es Donna
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Yes
  Alan Greenberg:I think we demonstrated realtively well that we were not able to homour Principle A in the first round.
  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Alan, that may be the case but the principle remains relevant.
  Vanda Scartezini:Anyway could just astate new top level domains can be in both ASCII and IDN formats
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):yup
  Greg Shatan:Agree.
  Carlton Samuels:@Vanda: +1. Just state that as a principle
  Jon Nevett:Vanda +1
  Vanda Scartezini:in a better english please
  Carlton Samuels:I would like to see a principle here that take out and make geographic and service provider diversity a major goal!
  Greg Shatan:I agree with Vanda that "C" is not well drafted, and should be revised for that reason.
  Rubens Kuhl:+1 to sync wording with new bylaws.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Thx Greg
  Rubens Kuhl:I don't think there is anything in the principles that would prevent service-provider accreditation and/or aggregated evaluation.
  Alan Greenberg:I wasn't suggesting that we not do it. It was just an observation.
  Steve Coates (Twitter):Agree with you Jeff.
  Robert Burlingame (Pillsbury):For C, perhaps "One of the reasons for introducing new top-level domains is that there is demand from potential applicants for new top-level domains in both ASCII and IDN formats.  Furthermore, the introduction of new top-level domains has the potential to promote:  competition in the provision of registry services; consumer choice; market differentiation; and geographical and service-provider diversity.
  Kevin Kreuser:we should scrap principle B.  cannot control what is applied for.  C covers IDNs.
  Robin Gross:I'm not on audio, but this one (Principle G) was not or at least insufficiently implemented.
  Ayden Ferdeline:re: G, why only the "applicant's" freedm of expression rights?
  Carlton Samuels:Refer G: I think more should be said about the string evaluation process. There's more to it than freedom of  expression!
  Tom Dale (ACIG GAC Secretariat):Just to draw the WG's attention to the GAC 2007 Principles on New gTLDs, which are  advice to the Board. Not suggesting anything specific for this current discussion but I expect that GAC members will wish to  raise some aspects of them at some point. I can circulate the link to the mail list.
  Rubens Kuhl:@Ayden, because other freedom of expression rights are covered by overall consensus policies.
  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Tom, does the GAC intend to revise their Principles in light of the 2012 round?
  Robin Gross:I disagree with removing principle g
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez (mobile):@robin it was suggested to move from principles to recommendations
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez (mobile):not to eliminate
  Tom Dale (ACIG GAC Secretariat):Donna, that has been alluded to in GAC discussions but the specifics of a process are yet to be discussed in detail.
  Donna Austin, Neustar:Thanks Tom
  Jon Nevett:agree with Robin
  Robin Gross:The recomendations and principles are supposed to work together.  They aren't an either or proposition.
  Carlton Samuels:@Greg: I agree twith Greg to the extent that principles should be inviolate. I think it is important to scribe a principle on the string evalaution process because so much of outcome depends on this!
  Vanda Scartezini:being under principle further discussion will not change it while as recommendation can be follow or not and related to rights it is relevant to pay attention
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez (mobile):correct @Robin, but the whole list suffers from the expectations that something could go earl
  Greg Shatan:We should either make "G" a recommendation or move some of the recommendations up to principles.
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez (mobile):go wrong
  Rubens Kuhl:A is the least followed principle, with G second. B to F were followed.
  Kavouss Arasteh:Iam disconncted
  Kavouss Arasteh:I do not hear or unable to hear the reaction to my suggestions
  Michelle DeSmyter:yes
  Steve Coates (Twitter):I would change to "that are recognized under international principles of law."
  Robin Gross:Julie, I'm not on audio, but could you please include in the notes my objection to  moving principle g out of principles?  Thanks.
  Greg Shatan:Agree with Steve C. re phrasing.
  Craig - fTLD Registry:Well we know that didn;'t happen.
  Jon Nevett:Craig +307
  Julie Hedlund:@ Steve Coates: I've captured that text.
  Julie Hedlund:@Robin Gross: I've noted your objection.
  Robin Gross:Appreciate it, Julie!
  Kavouss Arasteh:What is principle of law?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):I think we should allow for fexability
  Steve Coates (Twitter):+1 to Jeff, we should consider implications to "rolling procedures"
  Rubens Kuhl:What general guidance do we have from the policy x implementation WG ?
  Kavouss Arasteh:Colleagues, let us retain Principle as thezy are and not start such conversion
  Steve Coates (Twitter):Agree with Greg.  Recommendation 1 should not be negotiatiable.
  Robert Burlingame (Pillsbury):I agree that "should" would be better than "must" in the Recommendations.
  Kurt Pritz:It is ok that a recommendation include the word "must." "Recommendation" means Policy Recommendations that were later approved by the ICANN Board
  Kurt Pritz:The 19 points under "recommendations" are the heart of the New gTLD Policy
  Steve Coates (Twitter):Just a reminder to mute your line.
  Steve Chan:@Steve Coates, it is noted in the Final Issue Report that the impact of switching to a "rolling procedure" should be well understood
  Greg Shatan:Once "recommendations" are adopted, they're no longer recommendations; they're policy.
  Steve Coates (Twitter):Thx @Steve Chan
  Karen:I was just kicked out of the call.  Any reason why?
  Robin Gross:And the way they are framed in the appendix A (GNSO Policy) are "recommendations".
  Robert Burlingame (Pillsbury):So once Board-approved, perhaps "Mandates" instead of "Recommendations"
  Robin Gross:to the bylaws, that is.
  Mary Wong:@Karen, were you logged in under your own name before?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Fair point(s)  Greg
  Rubens Kuhl:There are reserved words that would not create technical instability, like .EXAMPLE.
  Richard Padilla:Sorry for being late I'm here hi everyone
  Jeff Neuman:I just got dropped/
  Kurt Pritz:https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt
  Kurt Pritz:Definition of Must, Shall etc that has been adopted by ICANN
  Greg Shatan:Definition of must:  (mŭst)n." The unfermented or fermenting juice expressed from fruit, especially grapes."
  Richard Padilla:Can someone dvise what exactly what is meant by strings should that be fully defined
  Richard Padilla:sorry I'm meant should the term strings be fully defined sorry about my english lol
  Steve Coates (Twitter):Yes to "what is a reserved name."
  Greg Shatan:A string is the set of characters that make up a domain.
  Kurt Pritz:@ Richard: I agree. We should get rid of terms like "string" that are not commonly understood
  Greg Shatan:Kurt, next you'll suggest we get rid of acronyms!!
  Richard Padilla:@greg thanks
  Richard Padilla:@Kurt yes when I hear strings I start think of programming it is such a loose used term in computing
  Jon Nevett:Jeff, Isn't that on the second level?
  Rubens Kuhl:During application a string is not yet a TLD, so it could be either "string" or "proposed TLD".
  Ayden Ferdeline:re: recommendation 2, does this only apply to strings in the same language?
  Craig - fTLD Registry:ICANN fail - allowing plaurals.
  Steve Coates (Twitter):At least "confusingly similar' is generally recognized as a concept in trademark law, which is largely consistent internationally.
  Rubens Kuhl:@Ayden, this has been decided differently by objection panels. Some included language as criteria, some considered the overall meaning.
  Steve Coates (Twitter):Agree with Kavouss, let's tie that defintion to "Reserved" with a capital R, in its various forms.
  Ayden Ferdeline:thanks @rubens
  Carlton Samuels:@Kavouss +1
  Carlton Samuels:I'm agreeing with the definitional notion!
  Rubens Kuhl:I think that some reserved names would only require exact match blocking, not similarity blocking.
  Carlton Samuels:I have to drop off now. School Bord meeting
  Steve Coates (Twitter):The former is TM/IP based, the latter are not.
  Robin Gross:so free expression concerns was left out of implementation of Rec 3 (which only focused on TM)
  Marc Trachtenberg:"Existing legal rights of others that are recognized or enforceable under generally accepted and internationally recognized principles of law" should go beyond tademark.  The existing language argiably does, but in practice did not.
  Rubens Kuhl:.home, .corp and .mail
  Robin Gross:Julie, I'm not on audio, but can you please include my point above above about Rec 3 in the notes?  Thanks!
  Harold Arcos:+1 Greg, Richard. Regarding on definition of terms. Point G and Recomm 1.- are joint and are key for many groups who works in HHRR for their countrys.
  Kurt Pritz:@ Greg - that is why I referred to the Terms of Reference at the ouset; each of the recommendations point to one of the terms of reference, not the principles
  Julie Hedlund:@Robin: Done!
  Robin Gross:Thanks, again!
  Rubens Kuhl:Robin, I think the Limited Public Interest Objection ended up carrying the active part of rec. 3. But it's debatable indeed.
  Steve Coates (Twitter):Yes to that.
  Richard Padilla:@Harold Thanks for that
  Steve Coates (Twitter):Agree on the language of "purpose" tied to "technical."
  Rubens Kuhl:Could be IDN Language support, could be registration volume...
  Rubens Kuhl:Currently, they demonstrante passing a pre-delegation test.
  Rubens Kuhl:ICANN site describing PDT: https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/pdt
  Martin Sutton BRG:Agree with Rubens - it's the PDT
  Frederic Guillemaut SafebRands:when applying, you had to explain your technical choices. And clarification questions were asked on that matter suring the evaluation process.
  Rubens Kuhl:On Rec.8, the process ended up only looking at financials with the angle of a commercial registry, while brand registries and community registries could be financed very differently than thru registration revenues. We might choose to let financial be only a due diligence requirement for contract signing but not an application evaluation criteria.
  Frederic Guillemaut SafebRands:for some customers it was already too much to show
  Kavouss Arasteh:YES
  Rudi Vansnick:indirect financial information is normally found in the business plan the applicant has to present
  Frederic Guillemaut SafebRands:yes
  Rudi Vansnick:based on the business plan the financial capabilities are influencial depending on when the application is put into the root$
  Rubens Kuhl:I think we moved more to be able handle financial and technical issues with registry transition mechanisms.
  Robin Gross:We must do better on Rec. 9 in the future.  Too much was changed after the fact and it wasn't fair.
  Jay Westerdal:Financial information has not led to any failed registry so far?
  Rudi Vansnick:@Robin: +1
  Rubens Kuhl:The only sure way to fail financial evaluation was to refuse to provide financial statements. Other than that, no.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):yup
  Jay Westerdal:New companies formed just to be Registries have no books to exam
  Rudi Vansnick:@Jay: the applicant provides a business plan based on information at the moment of drafting the application, should an applicant forecast the fatc ICANN rolls out years after the application is entered ?
  Rubens Kuhl:BTW, ICANN made all applicants financial projections to fail by requering a new registrar accreditation in order to sell new gTLDs, so every projection contained in the applications were broken...
  Vanda Scartezini:" using" is really a bad word  in this context .
  Kavouss Arasteh:TO WHOM nO. 9 IS ADDRESSED?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):agree Vanda
  Vanda Scartezini:to ICANN I beleive
  Kavouss Arasteh:aRE WE ASKING icann TO DO THAT PUBLICATION USING....
  Kavouss Arasteh:perfect twhat you said jeff
  Vanda Scartezini:@kavouss "using is really bad word as some of us agreed
  Rudi Vansnick:normally tha applicant guidebook should contain process
  Greg Shatan:Please mute if you are not speaking, and especially if you are typing....
  Rubens Kuhl:"non-discriminatory" would be a nice addition to rec. 9.
  Vanda Scartezini:+ 1 Rubens
  Rudi Vansnick:"non-discriminatory" -> define the criteria too
  Harold Arcos:+1 Rubens
  Rubens Kuhl:Or, could be a "should" instead of a "must"...
  Kavouss Arasteh:YES
  Steve Coates (Twitter):Jeff - 4 miniute warning.
  Steve Chan:@Jeff, as Julie typed in the notes, you missed Recc 10
  Robin Gross:GAC objections impact Rec. 12 - not understanding what a govt might object to
  Jay Westerdal:100% agree.
  Alan Greenberg:Sure it was....
  Rubens Kuhl:This was violated. No other way to state what happened.
  Steve Coates (Twitter):10 could use some improvement, especially with additional clasuses, and application of new clauses in existing contracts and renewals.
  Jay Westerdal:Sounds illegal to change a contract afterwards
  Vanda Scartezini:each contract shall be available for different alernatives now that we know how different aspects of newTLDs can come out from applications
  Rudi Vansnick:have there been lawsuits due to the failing base contract
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):We do need to 'fix' this matter
  Kavouss Arasteh:nEXT CALL
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):Thank everyone..  Good progress  Talk again next week then  Bye for now
  Julie Hedlund:Next call is Monday, 11 April at 1400 UTC
  Julie Hedlund:1600!
  Julie Hedlund:Sorry!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO):BYE
  Julie Hedlund:Yes!
  Steve Chan:1600 UTC :)
  Martin Sutton BRG:Thanksall
  Robin Gross:Thanks, Jeff and all!
  Robert Burlingame (Pillsbury):Thank you all.
  Christopher Niemi:THanks
  Julie Hedlund:Thanks everyone!
  Rudi Vansnick:bye
  Yoshi Murakami(JPRS):thank you
  Ayden Ferdeline:thank you all
  Richard Padilla:Later
  Frederic Guillemaut SafebRands:bye
  Rubens Kuhl:Thanks Jeff, Steve, staff and all!
  Vanda Scartezini:thank all
  Greg Shatan:Thanks all!
  Vanda Scartezini:specially julie....and all stafff