[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Letter from Steve Crocker to GNSO Council Chair

kurt at kjpritz.com kurt at kjpritz.com
Tue Aug 16 20:41:13 UTC 2016

First, it has nothing to do with application fees.

During the ICANN meeting in Helsinki there were a number of comments on the topic of timing of the next round made to the ICANN Board in public fora. The comments were mostly eloquent, on the mark and included the following points:

+ one of the conditions to launching the 2012 round was to have another round in a short period of time to afford the same opportunity to those that might not be reached by the ICANN communications in time
+ eight years between rounds is incongruent with the goal of a smoothly running, well-managed process; in fact, it is embarrassing for the whole multistakeholder model
+ there is no point of accountability (person, department, organization) for getting the next round launched in a timely matter
+ the set of postulated, highly dreaded, highly harmful outcomes as a result of new gTLDs did not materialize
+ we spent years developing the current policy and its implementation model, the path to a close-in-time next round could never be to re-examine every aspect of that policy but rather to make mid-course corrections on the areas needing that

 In my opinion, some or all of these points evidently resonated with the Board. I believe the letter was the result of those interchanges at the Helsinki meeting.

Kurt

--------- Original Message --------- Subject: Re: [Gnso-newgtld-wg] Letter from Steve Crocker to GNSO Council Chair