[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Letter from Steve Crocker to GNSO Council Chair

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Wed Aug 17 22:23:51 UTC 2016

> Em 17 de ago de 2016, à(s) 18:37:000, David Ackerman <david at nyu.edu> escreveu:
>
> Yes, organizations such as mine, New York University, unaware of the first round, had an expectation that we would have to wait 2 or 3 years. So, it didn't seem too bad.
>
> After 3 years, 2015, I was told 3 more years. Now, after 4 years, it's going to be 4 more years? Bad pattern here!
>
> We really need our gTLD to do our global business. And we are now impatient, and I have complained broadly.
>
> I completely agree with the comment:
> eight years between rounds is incongruent with the goal of a smoothly running, well-managed process; in fact, it is embarrassing for the whole multistakeholder model

David,

Although it is indeed "subprime" compared to other value chains, the presumptive renewal component of registry contracts pushes the community to make things right, for some definition of it, rather than fast. So, one question that we could ask is whether applicants are willing to trade long-term security for time-to-market. For instance, contracts without presumptive renewal that could be placed for competitive rebid or a new round of objections at the end of a initial (and shorter) first term (3 or 5 years instead of 10 years).

Rubens