[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Provision of back-end registry services

Jeff Neuman jeff.neuman at comlaude.com
Wed Aug 31 13:54:55 UTC 2016

All,

This is a great discussion and I believe we should document all of these pros and cons for WT1.  Terminology (certification vs. accreditation vs. something else) will be important as we go down this path, but for now I would encourage us to stick to the concept of a voluntary process to pre-evaluate a registry-services provider such that it would not require a “re-evaluation” every single time it was associated with a new TLD application.  This is the concept that I think of when we talk about this subject.

All of the other issues we will need to address as well.  Are they under contract with ICANN?  If so, what does that contract look like?  If they are under contract, would that be more akin to the types of MoUs that they have with EBEROs, Escrow Providers, etc. or more like a contract that they have with  registrars?  Under what circumstances, if any, would they need to be re-evaluated?

WT-1 now has this issue and we will re-circulate the notes that have the problems which we are trying to solve and benefits.  The benefits of having a “pre-evaluation process” would include  (a) having consistency in evaluation results, (b) improving competition by allowing other third parties to become RSPs, (c) presumably lower TLD application fees for registry operators (since that part of the evaluation would not have to be performed every time), (d) lessening overall TLD application processing time.   We can post the other benefits we came up with.

We also need to document the negatives that have been pointed out such that if we did establish this pre-approval process, we design that process in such a way to avoid the negatives.

Hope that all makes sense.

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Senior Vice President |Valideus USA | Com Laude USA
1751 Pinnacle Drive, Suite 600
Mclean, VA 22102, United States
E: jeff.neuman at valideus.com<mailto:jeff.neuman at valideus.com> or jeff.neuman at comlaude.com<mailto:jeff.neuman at comlaude.com>
T: +1.703.635.7514