[Gnso-newgtld-wg] [gnso-secs] Re: Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group 29 February 2016

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Sat Mar 5 17:05:37 UTC 2016

Hi Marilia,

The slides have been added to the agenda wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/IxmAAw

Kind regards,

Terri

From: owner-gnso-secs at icann.org [mailto:owner-gnso-secs at icann.org] On Behalf Of Marilia Maciel
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2016 10:12 AM
To: Michelle DeSmyter <michelle.desmyter at icann.org>
Cc: gnso-newgtld-wg at icann.org; gnso-secs at icann.org
Subject: [gnso-secs] Re: [Gnso-newgtld-wg] Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group 29 February 2016

Thank you, Michelle. Could we have access to the slides presented by staff with the proposed workflow of the group? That would be very helpful.
Thanks and best regards,
Marília

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Michelle DeSmyter via Gnso-newgtld-wg <gnso-newgtld-wg at icann.org<mailto:gnso-newgtld-wg at icann.org>> wrote:

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call held on Monday, 29 February 2016 at 16:00 UTC.

MP3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-29feb16-en.mp3

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/IxmAAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle DeSmyter

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Monday, 29 February 2016
 Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call held on Monday, 29 February 2016
  Terri Agnew:If you do wish to speak during the call, please either dial into the audio bridge and give the operator the password NEW gTLD, OR click on the telephone icon at the top of the AC room to activate your AC mics. Please remember to mute your phone and mics when not talking
  CarlosAlberto:Terry, Good evening
  CarlosAlberto:Terri
  Ayden Férdeline:Hello everyone
  Christopher Niemi:Hello
  Steve Coates (Twitter):Steve, do we have a passcode for audio?
  Steve Chan:@steve NEW GTLD
  Steve Coates (Twitter):Awesome.  Thx!
  Harold Arcos:Hello all, hope all have a good day
  Carlos Raul (CCT Liaison):audio??
  Vanda Scartezini:hi everyone
  Vanda Scartezini:yes
  Carlos Raul (CCT Liaison):ok
  Julie Hedlund:Loud and clear Jeff
  Carlos Raul (CCT Liaison):we have audio
  Carlos Raul (CCT Liaison):txs
  Vanda Scartezini:ok
  Greg Shatan:Hello, all.
  Rubens Kuhl - NIC.br:Jeff, are you able to read chats but do not write chats ?
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:Hi All
  Mary Wong:@TwitterSteve - hey!
  Greg Shatan:I guess "Twit" would not be appropriate....
  Vanda Scartezini:adobe today was falling all the time
  Carlos Raul (CCT Liaison):not too hard please
  Carlos Raul (CCT Liaison):my adobe just got disconnected for a few seconds too
  Khaled Koubaa:Hi everyone
  Stefania Milan:Hi everyone, apologies for the delay in joining.
  Steve Chan:WG Membership page: https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=58001978
  Grace Mutung'u:hi everyone. May I please record Judy Okite's apologies? She is indisposed
  Michelle DeSmyter:Yes, thank you Grace - I will note her apology
  Robin Gross:Good morning!
  Richard Padilla:Afternoon everyone
  Grace Mutung'u:Thanks Michelle
  Phil Buckingham:good  afternoon
  Michelle DeSmyter:You are quite welcome!
  Ayden Férdeline:yes we can Steve
  Avri Doria:so the leadership is old timer, mid timer and new timer.
  Steve Chan:I think I need a better nickname
  Kiran Malancharuvil:Sorry to be late.
  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Steve, we could just call you Stevie
  Steve Chan:@Donna ...
  Avri Doria:i think we all see chairing as a service role.
  Khaled Koubaa:Thanks LTeam:)
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:Yes @avri  I think we all expect the Chairing per se to be neutral in manner
  Steve Coates (Twitter):@Donna.  I love it.
  Steve Chan:22:00 UTC
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:0300 evry secnd call *  Far* friendlier than most GNO calls !!!
  Khaled Koubaa:on schedule : fair enough
  Carlos Raul (CCT Liaison):one hour calls?
  David Ackerman:which time on the 21st, 16:00 or 22:00?
  Carlos Raul (CCT Liaison):1 hour and 1/2, thank you
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:I hope 2200 :-)
  David Ackerman:yes 22:00 in the notes
  Julie Hedlund:@Cheryl: Yes, 2200 UTC as the rotation on 21 March
  liz williasm:do we have a draft work program already that we can comment on?  And also the linkages between other work?
  Ayden Férdeline:forgive me, "DG" is an acronym for...?
  Rubens Kuhl - NIC.br:Discussion Group
  Ayden Férdeline:thank you
  Karen Bernstein:Sorry I'm late.  I was thrown off by the e-mail that was sent in the middle of the night that said the meeting time was rescheduled.
  Mary Wong:@Ayden, the Discussion Group was formed by the GNSO COuncil before this PDP to scope out the issues, resulting in the categories and lists that are in our Working Group Charter and that Steve C is going through now.
  liz williasm:Is it proposed to split out the questions to small groups AFTER deciding yes (or no!) to the first question?  If yes, then those work streams are relatively easy to examine and provide recommendations to the main group.
  Ayden Férdeline:thank you for this background, Mary
  Jeff Neuman (Valideus):@Liz, yes the plan is to work on the "Foundational" questions as a larger group and then breaking down into subteams afterwards
  Julie Mowers - Amazon 2:My apologies, I have to drop early as I had a conflict I was unable to move.
  Robin Gross:What if the answer to Q.1 is "No"?  Is it within the scope of this group to "fix" existing new gtld procuedures (the things we got wrong last time)?
  liz williasm:OK -- that reflects the previous 2005 PDP and that Q1 can likely be answered by email and acclamation...If there is no, then we can stop.  Doubt that is the case but we can easily do a quick poll.
  Carlos Raul (CCT Liaison):My apologies as well, as I will ahve to leave at the top of the hour as I had sheduled only 60 minutes today. Will be prepared for a longer call in 3 weeks.
  Jeff Neuman (Valideus):@Robin...I will address that in a few minutes, but good question
  Robin Gross:ok  - thanks!
  Rubens Kuhl - NIC.br:Robin, my interpretation is if Q.1 answer is "No", we just end the WG saying that new rounds should follow the same procedures as 2012-round.
  Carlos Raul (CCT Liaison):@Steve + the Nielsen and Analysis studies
  liz williasm:@Ruben & Robin...then you would assume that we would have a lot of analysis and reports about what to do better from the 2012 round.  In my view, that piece of work should be done anyway
  Khaled Koubaa:@Robin : I expect that the obvious answer will be yes :)
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:ALAC is involved in Many of the listed initiatived and work Steve
  Rubens Kuhl - NIC.br:@Khaled, even ICANN staff revisionist historians seem to think that something should be changed...
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:I serve for eg on CWG ON CTN as TLDs
  liz williasm:@ Steve we really must have a GAC liaison immediately...many of the issues that arose in the 2000, 2004 and 2012 rounds were directly related to out of sync GAC interventions.
  Vanda Scartezini:looks good the organization.
  Alan Greenberg 2:We have also just revived our work in conjunction with the GAC on requirements for sensitive gTLDs (thoise identified in the GAC Beijing Communique as Category 1, Safeguards 1-8.
  Khaled Koubaa:+1 to @Liz comment on GAC
  Alan Greenberg 2:Strongly support Liz. In fact, we need more active participation from GAC people.
  Rubens Kuhl - NIC.br:@Liz, due to the way GAC makes decisions, it's always hard for them to appoint liaisons. Not impossible, we should try, but we can't count on it.
  Alan Greenberg 2:That will be the only way to avoid what happened last time.
  Vanda Scartezini:+ 1 Liz. I ahve been in GAC in the past and believe this is relevant indeed.
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:Agree @Liz  GAC Liaison is going to be a key
  Carlos Raul (CCT Liaison):The GAC has a formal procedure for participating in PDPs....
  Vanda Scartezini:i certainly can help with this
  liz williasm:@Rubens...it is never impossible to do greater communication and consultation, even if it is not binding/advisory...Communication at all times is absolutely key...and there is no reason for the GAC/GNSO nexus to not evolve and develop...it is critical.
  Khaled Koubaa:@Steve : it would be good if you can circulate the 2007 Rinal Report to the wider group so new comers can find their ways and refresh
  Jon Nevett:Coordinate with Mason as liaison?
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:perfecr Jeff masn should be able to ahndle that just fine
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:sorry re typos (ty
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:typing in the dark at 0330 here in AU ;-)
  Susan Payne - Valideus:@Alan, agree but it is very difficult to get the GAC to actually participate - in the country and territory names WG they just do not show up
  Richard Padilla:Can barely hear Avri
  Ayden Férdeline:please can you speak louder
  Alan Greenberg:@Susan, yes, difficult. the alternative, having lived through it before, is scary.
  Mary Wong:@Avri, thank you - yes, there is a Quick look Mechanism that has been developed by the GAC-GNSO Consultation Group.
  Mary Wong:Which involves early notification of the GAC of new GNSO PDPs.
  Steve Chan:@Khaled - you can find background material, including the 2007 Final Report, here: https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=58001980
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:yes @Mary which is why asking Mason th sort things  is essential
  Khaled Koubaa:@Steve : thanks ( I was not talking about myself :) )
  Vanda Scartezini:if GAC does not agree then MAson will make the one way task to tell then which way we are going...
  liz williasm:@ Jeff ... I can do that 2007 overview if you like?  I was the lead staff person on the PDP at the time....
  Rubens Kuhl - NIC.br:AGB departs from GNSO Policy in very significant ways... AGB looks more like a starting point for me.
  liz williasm:@jeff...forget that...i can support Avri if she needs it.
  Avri Doria:AGB is not policy though.
  Robin Gross:One thing we should look at is where the AGB differs from approved policy
  Avri Doria:and was developed befor the GNSO had a notion of implementation teams.
  Rubens Kuhl - NIC.br:"Code is Law" ; even though it was about running software code, this seems to fit policy implementation.
  Avri Doria:the is also post AGB implementation that needs to be considered.
  liz williasm:@ Robin  that is a monumental task and one which must be done...there are so many examples that are critical but it could easily be done in a table.
  Mary Wong:On the question of GAC members in this Working Group - there are several observers who identify as from the GAC. From the members' list, currently only Tom Dale - GAC Secretariat - is listed. Tom presumably follows the Group's discussions and reports to the GAC in his capacity as Secretariat lead for them (especially since neither he nor indeed any GAC member can represent the GAC formally or offiicially).
  Steve Chan:http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/new-gtlds/pdp-dec05-fr-parta-08aug07.htm
  Julie Hedlund:@Jeff: Here is the link and I'll include it in the notes: https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=58001980
  Phil Buckingham:+  1 Robin  + 1 Liz  yes table format
  Julie Hedlund:All - the link Steve Chan sent is the better one.
  Robin Gross:Some of the principles were not implemented the first time (like the principle about free expression)
  Steve Coates (Twitter):@Robin, I think we have an opportunity to add that to the agenda
  Phil Buckingham:Co chairs - do we have a target date for completion ?
  Robin Gross:Great, Steve!
  Khaled Koubaa:Agree totally with Avri point
  Rubens Kuhl - NIC.br:There is also the possibility that we might prefer to follow the actual implementation due to keeping things more homogenous, which is a scale requirement. So we might have to document the new policies matching 2012 implementation, if we believe it's better to keep those, instead of the 2007 policies.
  liz williasm:@Alan the implication costs are significant and must not be underestimated.  there were direct and absolute additional costs for many applicants which were unacceptable.
  Jon Nevett:Do we want to do a survey of the 2012 applicants?
  Robin Gross:yes, let's survey the applicants.
  Rubens Kuhl - NIC.br:It's usually bad luck to establish dates, as they are more prone to slip through.
  liz williasm:@Jon  yes...a good idea so that we can quantify the impact on applicants.  I wold volunteer to derive the survey questions and collate the data.
  Christa Taylor:+1 to survey - it would be great insight
  Khaled Koubaa:Well surve may be one of tools. Other tolls may be discussed as well.
  Mary Wong:To follow on Avri's last point, another new development in the GNSO is the use of Implementation Review Teams, comprising community members (volunteers) working with ICANN staff (primarily operational staff from the Global Domains Division and others) to try to ensure that implementation  matches the intent of the GNSO policy. This was recently recommended (by the Policy & Implementation Working Group) to be mandatory for all PDPs going forward,  save for exceptional circumstances.
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:Excellent @Liz
  Rubens Kuhl - NIC.br:People who commented on gTLD applications might have interesting feedback as well.
  Vanda Scartezini:sorry my connection dropped..
  CarlosAlberto:+1 for survey
  liz williasm:I volunteer to come up with a set of questions for applicants.  Anyone else want to help with that datagathering task, let me know.
  Nathaniel Edwards:Objecters from the last round should participate in any survey
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:agree  @Nathaniel
  Phil Buckingham:+1 Jon  great idea
  Karen Bernstein:+1
  liz williasm:what time is the Marrakech meeting time?
  Steve Chan:@Jeff, meeting time: Next meeting is in Marrakech on 10 March at 0900 to 1030 UTC
  Steve Chan:Actually, Next meeting is in Marrakech on 10 March at 0900 to 1030 local time
  Mary Wong:More details and remote participation details will be posted here: https://meetings.icann.org/en/marrakech55/schedule/thu-new-gtld-subsequent-procedures
  Khaled Koubaa:I may be have not seen it. Do we have the agenda of Marrakech meeting ?
  Khaled Koubaa:Thanks
  Stefania Milan:could the ppt presentation be shared somehow?
  CHERYL Langdon-Orr:thanks everyone... bye for now... Talk soon and see some of you in Marrakech
  Carlos Raul (CCT Liaison):ok! we made it in 1 hour!!!! safe travels to everybody traveling.
  Khaled Koubaa:Safe travel everyone
  Vanda Scartezini:thank you all. going well.. see you in MArrakech
  Denise Michel:thanks. byes
  Sara Bockey:Thank you all.  Safe travels!
  Vanda Scartezini:safe trip to all
  Julie Hedlund:Thank you everyone and see you soon!
  Christa Taylor:Thanks!
  Rubens Kuhl - NIC.br:Safe travels!
  Susan Payne - Valideus:great, thanks
  CarlosAlberto:Thank you all
  Christopher Niemi:Thank you
  Karen Bernstein:Safe travels!
  Frederic Guillemaut:thank you all bye
  Ayden Férdeline:I look forward to meeting everyone in Marrakech. Safe travels to all
  Rubens Kuhl - NIC.br:Bye!
  Robin Gross:Thanks all- bye!
  CarlosAlberto:bye
  Jeff Neuman (Valideus):Thanks1
  Harold Arcos:Thanks all,,,good trip,,
  Richard Padilla:thanks bye
  Yoshi Murakami(JPRS):Thank you
  Greg Shatan:Bye all!
  Grace Mutung'u:thanks
  Robert Burlingame:Thank you everyone!
  Steve Chan:Thanks everyone

Marília Maciel
Pesquisadora Gestora - Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio
Researcher and Coordinator - Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law School
http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts

DiploFoundation associate - www.diplomacy.edu<http://www.diplomacy.edu>
PoliTICs Magazine Advisory Committee - http://www.politics.org.br/
Subscribe "Digital Rights: Latin America & the Caribbean" - http://www.digitalrightslac.net/en