[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Actions/Discussion Notes: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG 24 October 2016

Julie Hedlund julie.hedlund at icann.org
Mon Oct 24 22:08:58 UTC 2016

Dear WG Members,

Please see below the action items and discussion notes captured by staff from the meeting on 24 October.  These high-level notes are designed to help PDP WG members navigate through the content of the call and are not meant as a substitute for the transcript or recording.  The MP3, transcript, and chat room notes are provided separately and are posted on the wiki at: https://community.icann.org/display/NGSPP/1.+WG+Meetings.

Best regards,

Julie

Julie Hedlund, Policy Director

Actions/Discussion Notes: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG Meeting, 24 October 2016

Discussion Notes:

New gTLD Subsequent Procedures face-to-face meeting at ICANN57: Thursday, 03 November 13:45-18:30.  See: https://icann572016.sched.org/event/8cxk/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-procedures-pdp-working-group-face-to-face-meeting.

Proposed ICANN57 Agenda – Draft is attached, but subject to revision.

1.            Welcome and introductions

2.            Current Status (Overarching issues/CC1)

3.            Work Track based discussions

1.  Overarching issues/CC1:

·         Work Track 3 -- rounds vs. first-come, first-served process.  Everything else we had public discussion in Helsinki.  Don't need to go over the overall topics again.  Can stick to a status update, but won't go down any of the issues.

·         Ask liaisons to CCT-RT, RPMs, to provide a brief update.  Add as a new number 3 in the agenda.

·         Work Track based discussions.  Asked each WT to provide some teaser questions for community input.

2. Work Track (WT) based discussions

WT1: [reading from the draft agenda]

·         Question 1: Help spur the conversation on the Applicant Support Program.  Still looking for input.  Question 2: Update based on input from Donna Austin.  Question 2 should read: “From RSP Accreditation to Third-Party Certifier – What is the most effective method to meet the needs of RSPs, Registries and Registrars?”

·         Also include applicants as this is one of the problems we're trying to solve and consider how they might be affected.  Don't include if there isn't a specific concern.

WT2: [reading from the draft agenda]

·         Question: Do we need more reserved names re the IANA transition?  Such as PTI?

·         Question 2, WT2: Since it is different between RNWG and what was the result in the AGB - especially for geographical names - there is a need to see those two documents in connection.

·         Question: on our last call we were talking about top level and second level, for this question I think need to be clear what level we are talking about.

·         We also have 2 characters, single character IDNs, etc.  Also have IGOs. Red Cross, IOC, etc.

·         Questions re: COI / LOC - we would appreciate feedback from applicant's experiences/ problems.

·         CWG-UCTN is aiming to wrap up an Interim Report (aka Initial Report) around the end of this year.  A progress report of sorts is being prepared for ICANN57 discussions.

WT3: 1) Rounds vs. Continuous (first come, first served).  Impact on string contention.  2) Do we need an Independent Objector in future?

WT4: [reading from the draft agenda]

·         Currently in consultations with JAS and other Stakeholder Groups.

·         Change Question #1 -- not application submission process, but the application evaluation process.

General question: In the unlikely circumstance that we don't have a very talkative audience does anyone have some backup questions?

·         If you are going to ask an open-ended question such as #1: you should create some rules about participating in order to manage the discussion, i.e., present you idea and why the change should be made - we will compile all the suggestions for discussion by the group.

·         Registry agreement categories -- in the overall issues, have more discussion in Hyderabad?  Handle in the appropriate track (WT2)?  Yes.