[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures WG

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Mon Sep 19 18:00:36 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call held on Monday, 19 September 2016 at 15:00 UTC. Attendance of the calls is also posted on the agenda wiki page:

MP3:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-19sep16-en.mp3
 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-08sep16-en.mp3>

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/Px6sAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Monday, 19 September 2016

Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures WG call on Monday, 19 September 2016 at 15:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Wiki Member page: https://community.icann.org/x/Ogp1Aw
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda page: https://community.icann.org/x/Px6sAw
  Avri Doria:can we get audio support in the AC please.
  Michelle DeSmyter:try now
  Avri Doria:thanks
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I was using 'holding our breath" in terms of the "anticipation' Avri, *not* suggesting any sort of delay...   Perhaps Aussies use the term differently
  Rubens Kuhl:No objection.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):all good
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):You csn do ST4 update  Rubens
  Rubens Kuhl:Will do, hope my computer audio is clear enough.
  Kavouss Arasteh:pLS KINDLY DIAL ME UP
  Kavouss Arasteh:Avri
  Kavouss Arasteh:Pls advise to dial me up
  Rubens Kuhl:I tried to speak but it cleary didn't make it.
  Kavouss Arasteh:I have asked to be dialed up
  Rubens Kuhl:Yes, everything covered.
  Michelle DeSmyter:yes
  Michelle DeSmyter:operator is dialing now
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):GREAT your turn next time then  ;-)
  Kavouss Arasteh:Is it a decision made by someone that I should be excluded from the meeting
  Kavouss Arasteh:Who dared to make such a decison
  Phil Buckingham:Avri - you are very very quiet
  Kavouss Arasteh:Vri
  Phil Buckingham:thanks Avri - much better
  Kavouss Arasteh:pls kindly advise to dial me up
  Avri Doria:we have advised and the attempt is being made.
  Kavouss Arasteh:Avri pèlease register my strong complaint and serious objection that I am excluded to participater at this meeting
  Avri Doria:I will register it, but I also note that staff is trying to connect you to the meeting
  Alexander Schubert:But you are online, right? Just plug in a headset and you re fine!
  Avri Doria:and i reiterate what Jeff said, no one is trying to exclude you.
  Alexander Schubert:Use a mobiole phone for example!
  Alexander Schubert:If you have a good enough Internet connction, of course ....
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):Just to recall GAC input on related questions: "The starting point for development of policy on further releases of new gTLDs should first take into consideration the results of all relevant reviews of the new gTLD round and determine which aspects and elements need adjustment."
  Avri Doria:Staff, please add a note to minutes both of Kavouss Arasteh issue and on the repsonse made by Jeff and me;
  Rubens Kuhl:Kavouss, in my non-US experience one of the easier ways to join ICANN meetings audio is to dial the US toll-free number from Google Voice or Skype.
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):And (also from our Helsinki decisions): "All measures available to the Board should be used to ensure that a comprehensive and measured approach to further releases of new gTLDs is taken in a logical, sequential and coordinated way rather than through parallel and overlapping efforts and/or timeframes that may not be agreed by all relevant interests."
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:Dear All
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:Pls kindly dial me up
  Alexander Schubert:Rubens: If the INternet connection is good enough for Skype - then why not simply using the Adobe audio?
  Steve Chan:@Avri, we'll get the note in - we can't type at the same time
  Rubens Kuhl:Alexander, Adobe audio just failed for me, so I'm not the one who will be advocating for that... ;-)
  Alexander Schubert:Hmmmm. Maybe wrong Audio Settings?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):did you want a dial out Rubens?
  Rubens Kuhl:CLO: I should have wanted it before. Now it's too late. ;-)
  Julie Hedlund:@Kavouss: Your objection has been included at the top of the notes.
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME I AM SURPRISED HOW THIS HAS HAPPENED
  Rubens Kuhl:Kavouss, if you are not hearing, you will notice in the recordings that your issue was not ignored.
  Rubens Kuhl:I think Jorge is causing the echo...
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):sorry if I did
  Julie Hedlund:@Avri andJeff: The operator has successfully reached Kavouss.
  Rubens Kuhl:Avri and Alan: would NCSG and ALAC be amenable to completing policy but having the implementation done in parallel ?
  Robin Gross:The politices are too much intertwined and interdependent to be dividing the issues into now and later baskets.
  Alan Greenberg:I cannot speak to an ALAC position on this without consulting. However how could one do the
  Alan Greenberg:implementation
  Alan Greenberg:Sorry. willl repeat
  Alan Greenberg:I cannot speak to the ALAC position on this without consulting but I would need to understand how the "implementation" which last time meant writing the AG, could be done in parallel with the opening of a round (which presumes the AG is complete.
  Alan Greenberg:@Robin, I was not proposing splitting, just saying that it was the only way I could parse the letter.
  Robin Gross:Alan, I didn't think you were proposing it, but it does seem to be something we are discussing.
  Alan Greenberg:agreed
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):not in favour of 'splitting'
  Rubens Kuhl:Jeff spoke 'round'. Many times. Many dollars for charity.
  Phil Buckingham:Rubens, I agree. Ideally  we need to do policy issues and implementation issues in parallel, but unfrtunately there are too many overlapping issues
  Avri Doria:As I see that Kavouss is now the particpant of record, is it possible to lower the original Kavouss hand from the queue?
  Paul McGrady:@Jeff, isn't that a better question for the RPM WG?
  Avri Doria:Kavouss 2 will be the next speakr.  Can other who have spoken lower their hands?
  Paul McGrady:@Jeff, is next Round expectancy in the 2007 principals or just in the Applicant Guidebook (which is a very robust implementation document)?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):tend to agree Paul
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):re RPM
  Alexander Schubert:All are completed - just 19 strings in the air.
  Alexander Schubert:The 2020 round was announced for 2013/2014. So b 2020 is is alrady 6 to 7 years delayed.
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:Alan+1
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:We can not have paralel process
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agree Alan re UDRP
  Tom Dale:Some of the current review activity is not solely within the GNSO community, for example the CCT review, ongoing ICANN work on metrics etc.
  Jeff Neuman:Jorge - Is that a new hand?  I assumed it was not, but if it is, let me know
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):sorry... :S
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):we qre being asked to repond to GNSO   not the Board  though Kavous
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:I am sorry, I meant Council NOT Board
  Paul McGrady:@Jeff at Avri, I can make that request on th Council list as Liaison to this group if more time is needed.
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:Yes I am sorry,
  Julie Hedlund:@Kavouss: I have corrected that in the notes.
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:I meant COUNCIL and NOT Board
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):As to the response to the Council: perhaps a factual summary on where we are as a group could help them in ascertaining the "ripeness" of fast-tracking or not certain issues for the present time
  Phil Buckingham:Agree Paul .Should we take the FInal AGB Jan 2012 add in changes since  , so we have  a revised AGB  as of now . Those changes need  to classified into policy or implementation  ??
  Julie Hedlund:@Kavouss: The notes state "Council" now.  Thank you.
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):instead of asking and taking the floor, could you take up this suggestion in the notes?: "jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland): As to the response to the Council: perhaps a factual summary on where we are as a group could help them in ascertaining the "ripeness" of fast-tracking or not certain issues for the present time"
  Paul McGrady:@Phil, perhaps or perhaps some of the changes which depart from the Paris Policy Principles should be affirmatively rejected by the community, rather than legitimized by baking them into the next revised AGB.
  Julie Hedlund:@Jorge: I will include your text in the notes.
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):@Julie: thanks!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):well said Greg
  Rubens Kuhl:I think split defines it well...
  Paul McGrady:@Avri said what I was going to say on process of reporting back to Council.  I'm happy to pass along the non-consensus on splitting or just providing commentary on a note that the Co-chair send.
  Steve Chan:On process, if it was determined that the WG wants to split it's work, that would require a modification of the charter via the GNSO Council.
  Steve Chan:Otherwise, the WG is expected to consider all elements in the charter.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):sounds right to me Paul
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):fine Jeff
  Paul McGrady:1.  No consensus on splitting work; 2. Committed to our workplan; and 3. Prepared to further discuss this in Hyderabad.
  Jeff Neuman:@Paul - yes, I think that is the crux of it
  Rubens Kuhl:"Splitted on splitting"
  Paul McGrady:Thanks Avri.  I'll look for the note from the 2 of you.
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):In Hyderabad we should take care to involve all the community in the discussion... this looks very much like a high interest topic, right?
  Dietmar Lenden - Valideus Ltd:wE HEAR YOU jEFF
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I guess so Jorge
  Emily Barabas:Subject 2 begins on page 4. Everyone should have scroll control.
  Emily Barabas:Click the "+" sign to zoom in
  Emily Barabas:(at the bottom of the screen)
  Steve Chan:In the Agenda pod, you can find links to the documents to view on your own computer.
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):Kavouss: the GAC included this GAC 2010 text in its reply to the "overarching questions" - and stated that these issues remain relevant to future new gTLD processes
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I guess Alan we should note ere that also comming out of discussions in 2010 with GAC   ALAC  also tended (If memory serves) to support Catagories and efficient / effective use therof
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):A new ALAC inout would certainly be helpful :-)
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):input
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Understood  Jorge and of course  it is 6 years ago and substantially a new ALAC  now
  Alan Greenberg:We STRONGLY supported categories.
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):hence, the use of such new input - that's also why we discussed and agreed in the GAC that we should recall the 2010 advice as we still considered it useful
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Yup
  Avri Doria:the process in the last round cae too late and still cost applicants a bunch.
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):agree that we still have work to be done for fostering the regional/geographic diversity of registries
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:I agree
  Paul McGrady:+1 Greg.  IPC wasn't trying to say that auction proceeds are the proper subject of this team, nor was IPC trying to say that it thinks auctions, necessarily, have to be a feature of Round 2.  We were just trying to be inclusive and thorough in our response.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Sure  did Avri  very dissapointing indeed
  Phil Buckingham:Do nt  we should any auction proceeds or process in Round 2 . @ Greg , I agreed with this approach .
  Rubens Kuhl:Had to drop now.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Just got disconnected
  Rubens Kuhl:Will catch up with recording... bye all.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Bye Rubens
  Phil Buckingham:sorry - dont think we should have any auction proceeds or process in a Round 2 .
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Back in Audio thanks
  Phil Buckingham:Thanks Alan for update
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:Request to secretariat,
  Paul McGrady:@Alan, will that Charter go to GNSO Council next or is this Board driven?
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:Pls remove my statement referring that I might have been excluded intentionally.
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):mute please.
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:I wish that statement de deleted from the note
  Greg Shatan:Perhaps we should replace auctions with pistols at 20 paces.  Very "Hamilton."
  Vaibhav Aggarwal::-)
  Julie Hedlund:@Kavouss: Could you clarify what you would like deleted?  Staff will be happy to do so.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Indeed Avri  Headphines delliver the noise *very effectivly*!
  Alan Greenberg:@Paul, like with other CCWGs, it will go to the AC/SOs for first comments and then after any needed changes for ratification. Once ratified the CCWG will be formed. There has been extensive Board involement in the charter creation process and we wil have confirmation that they agree to the terms of the charter and the following CCWG, but they do not have formal Board approval rights.
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:tHE PART THAT i SAID,2 i MIGHT HAVE BEEN INTENTIONALLY OR WILLINGLY EXCLUDED TO ATTEND "
  Julie Hedlund:@Kavouss: Many thanks for the clarification.  Staff will delete it forthwith.
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):I would like to add that according to the GAC 2010 advice reiterated now, categories are seen as a means to simplify the application process. Hence please consider redrafting the conclusion refered to the GAC as follows: "No consensus on additional categories, but GAC in favor AS IT CONSIDERS IT helps TO simplIFy.  Registries are split..."
  Julie Hedlund:@Jorge:  Staff will make that change.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):WT4 has that outreac to ACSO's etc., as part of its work plan  Yes Avri
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Julie:Can you please help me understand staff's position on deleting from the record statements that were made during the meeting?  It's my understand that the record of a meeting is to be accurate and complete, which means that it should include all statements made.  (My question is general and for my understanding.)
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):thanks Julie for taking up my comment
  Alan Greenberg:Not Monday...
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):And f curse te MP3/recording and any transcripts are "as writ"
  Julie Hedlund:@Kristina: Staff was responding to the request, but has no formal position and in fact these are just informal notes.  The transcript and recording are not altered.
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Julie:  OK, thanks.
  Julie Hedlund:Staff would seek guidance from Avri and Jeff whether staff should strike the objection from the informal notes.
  Alan Greenberg:Nov 3.- Thurs.
  Paul McGrady:@Staff, it would be super-helpful to have calendar invites for the in-person in Hyderabad, just so that we don't mess up the complex timezones
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):+1 Paul
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):+1 to Paul's request, please.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Agree Paul
  Kavouss Arasteh 2:tKS aVRI
  Greg Shatan:Monday falls on Thursday this time.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):doubt many of us have Avri
  Vaibhav Aggarwal:yes that's a good idea
  Steve Chan:@Paul, others, I think I've asked about this before and was told that that staff does not do this, but I will doublecheck
  Paul McGrady:Thanks Steve.  It would be very helpful if you could.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):All Good  Thx  Bye for now
  Alexander Schubert:tnx
  Robin Gross:Thanks, bye.
  jorge cancio (GAC Switzerland):thanks, bye