[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Domain Name Promotion

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Apr 3 22:36:07 UTC 2017

Kurt,

To be clear, I am writing this as a member of the WG and not as the ALAC Chair,

I do not support your suggestion as I believe
that it is FAR out of scope for this WG. If some
WG members choose to follow your advice in their
personal capacity, that is their business.

I also do not agree with your statement "Some of
us were against the new gTLD program and others
were not happy with the final policy or
implementation. Does that mean they want to see
the program fail? Of course not. The new gTLD
program is the culmination of many years and many
thousand people-hours of work." The only reason I
had any support for the new gTLD program was
because of IDNs, and since ICANN had no interest
in opening a round just for IDNs, I reluctantly
supported it (although I believed it was launched
before it was ready for prime time). But my
general lack of support does NOT imply I wanted
it to fail. Linking not supporting the round with
wanting it to fail puts those of us who had
doubts in a inappropriately bad light.

The registry proposal you cite might have been
better received if it had not linked it to a
significant registry fee reduction. Universal
acceptance is worthy of our support. Advertising
new gTLDs less so in my mind. If you and the RySG
would care to explain the use of the term "seed
fund" by explaining where the further
contributions were to come from PERHAPS there would be something to discuss.

Alan