[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Domain Name Promotion

Austin, Donna Donna.Austin at neustar.biz
Tue Apr 4 13:12:48 UTC 2017

Kurt, all

I believe ICANN have a responsibility to conduct some type of communication/awareness campaign as it related to new gTLDs under the 2012 round, perhaps not explicitly to promote domain names but certainly to raise awareness about the program. I’m not sure whether this was baked into the 2007 policy or the AGB. I don’t believe this was ever done to anyone’s satisfaction and has been raised with ICANN during the last two GDD Summits as a universal awareness rather than a universal acceptance issue. We had some good interaction on the subject with the Board members present during the Summit in Amsterdam last year.

I appreciate that some do not support the idea that ICANN should actively promote domain names, but I do believe that ICANN has a responsibility to inform consumers about the single most important change to the Internet in years. So just like the Australian Government and other governments have run consumer awareness campaigns about the changeover from analog to digital television, ICANN should be responsible for a consumer awareness campaign regarding the introduction of thousands of new TLDs. I have previously suggested this to Akram during interactions with the GDD and the GNSO Council and his response has been that ICANN cannot promote one TLD over another. During the same discussion James Bladel also suggested that ICANN has a responsibility to inform all consumers about any policy changes that have the potential to impact them, referring at the time to changes to verifying WHOIS that had been causing some issues at the time.

I guess my question is if this PDP WG is the wrong place, as some suggest, to consider this as a policy issue—what would be the right place?

Donna