[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Mp3, Attendance, AC Recording & AC Chat from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures WG call on Monday, 10 April 2017

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Mon Apr 10 20:37:45 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call held on Monday, 10 April 2017 at 15:00 UTC. Attendance of the calls is also posted on the agenda wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/6rDRAw

MP3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-10apr17-en.mp3

AC Recording: https://participate.icann.org/p3qcegfprp3/

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar[gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DwMFAw&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=AhXNWBtYz-BXb7M2-3qcjKD0yCsmUykhrCZS5i-8AiE&s=QkqbJ4BucKABBgdhi6zxOiNbT63-FeBDIjTRmO2d7XA&e=>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/6rDRAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Monday, 10 April 2017

 Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures WG call on Monday, 10 April 2017 at 15:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Meeting wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_6rDRAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=6B48YOx1bIuzdnSJ6rjS0jPGs1R53zJY2koZ9_VfIhM&s=U-7xXDHoUV-_AAMsz74yheDzSKkJgFcSCbXQx_d6Lw8&e=
  John Laprise:Good morning all
  Michael Flemming:Good evening
  Vanda Scartezini:hi everyone. glad to attend this meeting after some time out of the office.
  Vanda Scartezini:yes clearly
  Michael Flemming:Just closed generics this week for WT2.
  Michael Flemming:That is all.
  Christa Taylor:WT1 meeting tomorrow at 20:00
  Michael Flemming:I have added a few edits to my SOI. Nothing significant, however.
  John Laprise:Minor, non-material edits.
  Vanda Scartezini:thnaks Christa. in my agenda already.
  Vanda Scartezini:tks Christa
  Vanda Scartezini:thanks Christa
  Jonathan Zuck:nnot yet
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):we were not doing WT updates
  Julie Hedlund:Lots of background noise.  Reminder to mute when not speaking.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):but ok if we do later I guess,  not that WT4 has any update to make since last Plenary
  John Laprise:RE: Trust (apologies I'm in a loud environment)- The new gTLDS are simply extending the long tail of trust. The original gTLDs will always (barring force majeure) be "most trusted" with ccTLDs following. New gTLDs are highly unlikely to ever instill the level of trust that .com does. Trust comes from saying what you're going to do and and then doing it repeatedly, over time. We can declare the first but the execution is not our call. We don't control Trust and have little influence over it.
  avri doria:The fact that they have already said that should be in our considerations already.
  John Laprise:Are we distinguishing end user trust from organizational/system trust? It sounds like we are conflating the two.
  Paul McGrady:I think we may be confliating trust with consumer expectation.  Trust needs to hold steady.  Consumer expectations change based upon new products and services.  We should distinguish between the two.
  Kavouss Arasteh:Avri+1
  Alan Greenberg:@John, it is the jump from trust of the org to trust of ANY use of that TLD that is the difficult part..  Currently my bacnk uses a .com, and I *know* I cannot trust every .com. So the question is what is different to make me consider .bank differently, and by extension, can I presume I can also trust .doctor..
  John Laprise:Thanks for the clarification: I revert to my previous assertion: Trust comes from saying what you're going to do and and then doing it repeatedly, over time. We can declare the first but the execution is not our call. We don't control Trust and have little influence over it as it pertains to end users.
  Donna Austin, Neustar:@Alan, with regard to .doctor, the word has many different meanings and is not just about a doctor of medicine so how do you apply trust in that context?
  Rubens Kuhl:It's also of notice that some restricted registries operate on a pre-registration verification system, while others verify after registration (and among those there are ones doing 100% checks, and other doing sampling)
  John Laprise:@Alan I agree but IMO that requires an immense public advertizing campaign to introduce and convince the public that a new gTLD is worthy of trust.
  Kavouss Arasteh:Why .Doctor shoul apply any other thing than Medcin
  John Laprise:And there's no guarrantee of success, especially if domains are not scrupulous.
  Donna Austin, Neustar:@John, I would argue that the absence of an immense public advertising campaign regarding the introduction of new gTLDs and explaining to consumers that they exist is one of the reasons why folks don't know whether to trust something that doesn't have .com at the end of it.
  John Laprise:@Donna That's part of it but the larger component is the socialization of brands and the use of the original gTLDs for two decades.
  John Laprise:All original Internet users _know_ the original gTLDs
  Kavouss Arasteh:Why there should be no tust to .com but thrust to .bank?
  John Laprise:@Kavous: ask end users. .com is a known quantity to them; .bank isn't.
  Kavouss Arasteh:Do you mean that since . com is a known quantity then there is no trust?
  John Laprise:No. I'm saying that if you show two cards to an end user with one saying BankofEngland.com on one and BankofEngland.bank on the other, I'm strongly guessing that there will be a large preference among end users for the former over the latter solely based on familiarity.
  Michael Flemming:Would, however, certain TLDs have committed to PICs if GAC did not offer advice on this?
  Michael Flemming:Paul took my thunder.
  Kavouss Arasteh:but this is contrary to what someone's statement that there is no or less trust to . com vis a vis . bank
  John Laprise:Trust is an end user perception, not an absolute. I'm talking about how end users actually perceive and weigh information and the role of familiarity and use.
  John Laprise:.com ismore familiar than .bank and people tend to shy away from the unfamiliar
  Christa Taylor:Makes sense and helpful.  Thank-you!
  Christa Taylor:yes, makes sense!
  John Laprise:Question: we mentioned ROI earlier. Is ICANN publishing any ROI data prior to the next round?
  Rubens Kuhl:I have to drop now, unfortunately. Will listen for the remaining of the call when available.
  Drew Bagley:Thanks everyone - please spread the word about the public comment period
  Paul McGrady:Well done Zuck & Co.  Thank you.
  Christa Taylor:sorry mic not connected I need a min
  Vanda Scartezini:I have dropped and back now
  Emily Barabas:list of presenters is available here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_display_NGSPP_Geographic-2BNames-2BWebinar-2Band-2BICANN59-2BSession&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=6B48YOx1bIuzdnSJ6rjS0jPGs1R53zJY2koZ9_VfIhM&s=u46o5otxgitfwiJAqO3WPYaCUXtUedTHz0Xo0f9xFvk&e=
  Steve Chan:Nothing to add from me
  Donna Austin, Neustar:Thanks Avri
  Emily Barabas:Nothing from my end
  Emily Barabas:The GAC Working Group on the Protection of Geographic Names will present
  Susan Payne:@Kavouss, Olga gave the expression of interest
  Emily Barabas:Olga is the one who signed up on behalf of this group. The presenters may vary to accomodate the different time zones.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bye for now then,  talk again soon...
  Robin Gross:Thanks, Avri, and all.  Bye.  Please join WT3 today at 20:00 UTC on community issues
  Christa Taylor 2:Thank-you
  Phil Buckingham:     thanks Avri
  Vanda Scartezini:my connection quite poor today
  Vanda Scartezini:my connection quite poor today - will comment online further.