[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call on Monday, 24 April 2017 at 20:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Tue Apr 25 00:12:17 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call held on Monday, 24 April 2017 at 20:00 UTC. Attendance of the calls is also posted on the agenda wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/7LDRAw

MP3: https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-24apr17-en.mp3

AC Recording: https://participate.icann.org/p482g5wkvfz/

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar[gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DwMFAw&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=AhXNWBtYz-BXb7M2-3qcjKD0yCsmUykhrCZS5i-8AiE&s=QkqbJ4BucKABBgdhi6zxOiNbT63-FeBDIjTRmO2d7XA&e=>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/7LDRAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Monday, 24 April 2017

 Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures WG call on Monday, 24 April 2017 at 20:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_7LDRAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=eHcKe3o9c9GRf663CvbHJ7_KQFSeV_fDBs54FBSNMc0&s=DlSnP56lLSScwR-tVd7kmBWJRA11hG8ZVcvItXrt8AE&e=
  Katrin Ohlmer, DOTZON:loud and clear, jeff.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):hi all
  Jeff Neuman:4 minute warning
  Vanda:hi all. finally my itnernet running today....
  Annebeth Lange:Good evening from a snowfilled Oslo
  Jeff Neuman:2 minutes
  Karen Day (SAS):Happy Rainy Monday everyone
  Jeff Neuman:ok - 1 minute warning
  Karen Day (SAS):Sara, not me
  Vanda:yes
  Jeff Neuman:Sorry Sara
  Phil Buckingham:Hi Jeff , 2 minutes
  Donna Austin, Neustar:I have the WT1 call in my calendar for tonight at 8pm PDT (0300 UTC). Is that correct?
  Jeff Neuman:yes
  Phil Buckingham:We have another on Thursday 27 April @21.00 UTC . We will continue with closed generics to start to get some consnsus within the group on what we  are all agreed is a complex and contentous subject .
  Karen Day (SAS):Robin covered it all
  Karen Day (SAS):Thakns
  Vanda:good point kavouss
  Alexander Schubert 2:Thanks Kavouss: Community defibnition was WAY to narrow in the last round....
  Alexander Schubert 2:Geographic names: Currently only GNSO and GAC are working on it. No one else. The CCTN WG just eliminated itself - and I don't see resurrection is an option.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC:  "social good" is a very narrow subset of freedom of expression and association in a community.  It's questtionable whether ICANN wants to be in the business of determining what is and is not a purpose of "social good".
  Annebeth Lange:Well, the UCTN will produce a Final Report after having gone through all the input to the Interim Report.
  Phil Buckingham: Sorry I nothing to further to say.
  Annebeth Lange:The comment period ended 21st April for the UCTN. THe staff is working on a summary of the comments
  Steve Chan:CC2 public comment extension announcement here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_news_announcement-2D2017-2D04-2D24-2Den&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=eHcKe3o9c9GRf663CvbHJ7_KQFSeV_fDBs54FBSNMc0&s=SKyIQ7FgLJyX4IbtRz99XnzWX0DhGtQtxj89PS-M3xs&e=
  Donna Austin, Neustar:The RySG is making good progress and are currently reviewing. not sure what our target date it.
  Donna Austin, Neustar:is
  Emily Barabas:The Google Doc is available here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1LC-2D1-2DZ2auN2XTSJXyW34eWnGgNuuDInIOeJ1TcZ7z58_edit-3Fusp-3Dsharing&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=eHcKe3o9c9GRf663CvbHJ7_KQFSeV_fDBs54FBSNMc0&s=-RGcbgmEUeqGvpL2tRIo6z926D-ciluV3ivDPevrCgQ&e=
  Emily Barabas:the content is the same as in the pod here
  Kavouss Arasteh:Alan+1
  Karen Day (SAS):Have to drop for a few.  Will be back in  5 min.
  Kavouss Arasteh:yes Greg but why with reduced price?
  Kavouss Arasteh:Still I do not understand why price should be reduced
  Paul McGrady:+1 Greg
  Kavouss Arasteh:we should follow the principle of equiutable access
  Kavouss Arasteh:Please register my objection with the concept of reduced costs
  Greg Shatan:i didn't say prices should be reduced. I just said that the issue of "cost" could refer to both price per registration and to reducing costs by reducing the need to engage in defensive registration.
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Yes, you did.  My point is that it wasn't clear to me how it's consistent and I doubt I'm the only person who may not be sure.
  Greg Shatan:That said there has been some inequitable pricing aimed at getting higher prices for defensive registrations.
  Vanda:Greg. defensive registration I beleive will increase qith the initial price reduced. more people can register a brand name if the cost is reduced.
  Alexander Schubert 2:Can't hear Kavouss  speaking. I am on Adobe only. Can it be that the phone lines aren't looped into the Adobe Audio?
  Vanda:so the need of defensive registration will grow
  Vanda:Alex, I am only at adobe and hear him quite well
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC:  1.1(c) in the ByLaws carves out measures that are consistent with the Mission .  For example, 1.1(c) apparently does not prohibit GAC Safeguards to certain strings.
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):I like the idea of identifying the comment requests, stating them at the beginning, and identifying the recommendations to which they apply. The recommendation-specific requests would then be only that - recommendation-specific.
  Steve Chan:I think Kavouss' point is at least in part, taken into account in the third paragraph of the high-level feedback?
  Alexander Schubert 2:Vanda: I think for th majority of run of the mill gTLDs defensive and speculative registrations are the main revenue stream. Sadly.
  Vanda:you right, but is not reducing price that this will change
  Greg Shatan:Vanda, you may be right when it comes to "penny pricing.". But I  don.t think using price as a barrier to abusive registrations is the solution, since the practical effect (and possibly the intent) is to milk brand owners like cash cows.
  Greg Shatan:Alexander, you may be right.  Which would be quite sad.  Either way those sales are to registrants with little or no intent to use the domains for websites, emails, etc.  At that point it's just speculators and suckers....
  avri doria:Kavouss understood you thought a group parralell to the gTLD-IRT could do it.  That is possible but someone else would have to charter it.
  Paul McGrady:a predictable process with knowable deadlines and subject matter guidelines
  Kavouss Arasteh:PICs  may normally be changed
  Julie Hedlund:@Jeff: Staff tried to capture that in the notes.
  Vanda:Greg. me neither. price is not a barrier itself in a razonable prices but reducing prices can growth the defensive application, but also price is not the key point to reduce defensive applications.
  Alan Greenberg:But if they are "normally changed", the intent of the Rec is minimal
  Vanda:Alan + 1
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC:What if PICs arise in response to GAC Consensus Advice?  We don't want a TLD to be "hung up" because it is unable to make a new PIC of record.
  Jon Nevett:Anne +1 -- consensus advice or otherwise
  Jon Nevett:an applicant may not know of concerns with a name, so would be impossible to address in the application
  Robin Gross:The rules are supposed to be knowable and predictable according to the principles.  If PICs can be changed, that would violate this predictability requirement.
  Paul McGrady:+1 Robin
  avri doria:what about if a review period is required for some change procedure.
  hadia Elminiawi:+1 Robin
  Jon Nevett:I am thinking about adding PICs to address a concern vs. changing them
  Kavouss Arasteh:You may need to talk to Mrkus and Manal
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC:+1 Jon
  Julie Hedlund:@Hadia if ou are speaking we can't hear you.
  Alexander Schubert:MAybe there is a mike muted!
  hadia Elminiawi:I was speaking, and i can't hear you either now
  Susan Payne:yes Jeff
  Vanda:yes
  Jamie Baxter:yes
  Emily Barabas:@Hadia, Michelle has sent you a private chat to help troubleshoot
  Emily Barabas:Geo Names Webinar: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_p77RAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=eHcKe3o9c9GRf663CvbHJ7_KQFSeV_fDBs54FBSNMc0&s=SL_mZbQSLjH8_mKLQcVfeqS4xI8dSt_XMzFpM-ezjxk&e=
  Emily Barabas:This includes presenter lineup
  Donna Austin, Neustar:On the GEO names, I through the background document was really helpful.
  Emily Barabas:and presenter slides
  Donna Austin, Neustar:thought not through
  Emily Barabas:as well as the background paper
  Annebeth Lange:Will it be possible for other than presenters to comment? There are a lot of presentations in these two hours
  hadia Elminiawi:So basically I wanted to ask if our group has to adhere to or follow or the recommendations, or do we have the choice to see things differently
  Emily Barabas:@Annebeth, the chat will be open throughout the session
  Emily Barabas:and there will be a question and answer at the end
  Annebeth Lange:Thanks, Emily
  Annebeth Lange:Thanks, Avri, very useful
  Emily Barabas:Please send us an email at Geo-Names-Session at icann.org<mailto:Geo-Names-Session at icann.org> to RSVP. Thanks!
  Emily Barabas:I think you covered everything. Thanks Jeff.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thanks everyone... good call today...
  Emily Barabas:There are only three
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):looking forward to our webinars...  talk
  Kavouss Arasteh:Steve, Some of us have another meeting at 05,00 UTC. mAY THEN FINISH THIS MEETING NOW
  hadia Elminiawi:@Emily thanks
  Greg Shatan:03:00 UTC is very late, not very early....  :-)
  avri doria:anything that maks it better for one group may make it worse for another.
  Robert Burlingame:Thank you Jeff et all.  Looking forward to the geo names webinar tomorrow.
  Greg Shatan:Not so good for the Eastern Americas either.
  Sara Bockey:It 4UTC makes it very late for many in the US
  Greg Shatan:+1 Sara.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):exactly Avri
  Paul McGrady:+1 Avri - we have to strike the balance to ensure opportunities to participate globally.
  Annebeth Lange:Sorry, I have to go. Good night.
  Greg Shatan:It would be nice to know if we are getting a high percentage of APAC participants are making the APAC friendly call,
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):that said for me 0300 or 0400 is little difference
  Phil Buckingham:Kavouss - you / us Europeans can always listen to the transcripts the following morning !
  Greg Shatan:Rather than numbers, how about percent.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bye Annabeth
  Sara Bockey:+1 Greg
  Vanda:midnigh for us
  Paul McGrady:+1 Alan
  Vanda:+ 1 ALAN
  Greg Shatan:Let's just make sure they are raking advantage of this, not in sheer numbers but in percentage.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bye for now everyone...
  Vanda:5:30 hours
  Alexander Schubert:Bye
  Greg Shatan:Bye all
  Susan Payne:But Kavouss the 1 hour chage would mean hardly anyone in the US joins and the reality is you will have almost no-one on the call.  You have one call in 4 which you cannot make.  If you live in Australia you have 3 in 4 you cannot attend unless you are willing to do so at very unreasonable times
  hadia Elminiawi:Thank you all
  Robin Gross:Thanks Jeff and all, bye!
  Katrin Ohlmer, DOTZON:bay
  avri doria:bye see you at 1am EDT
  Vanda:thanks to all!!
  Phil Buckingham:Thanks  Jeff - great call