[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Recordings, AC Chat & Attendance for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures WG call on Monday, 24 July 2017 at 15:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Mon Jul 24 18:07:51 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call held on Monday, 24 July 2017 at 15:00 UTC. Attendance of the calls is also posted on the agenda wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/SnHwAw

MP3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-05jul17-en.mp3

Adobe Connect Recording: https://participate.icann.org/p90p0zr73mx/

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar[gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DwMFAw&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=AhXNWBtYz-BXb7M2-3qcjKD0yCsmUykhrCZS5i-8AiE&s=QkqbJ4BucKABBgdhi6zxOiNbT63-FeBDIjTRmO2d7XA&e=>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/SnHwAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Monday, 24 July 2017

Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures WG call Monday, 24 July 2017 at 15:00 UTC
  Michelle DeSmyter:Meeting agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_SnHwAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=F3H_fnoVB_TmJLfQT9PYxnj42UXznKyQQHXR3I6PqfQ&s=Vibx9iuKPOLnWXevZ4I4Iv41rgwsh4DlW3a5981tDdw&e=
  Kavouss Arasteh:Dear HOST
  Kavouss Arasteh: I was connected for few mints but now disconnected
  VANDA SCARTEZINI:HI EVERYONE.! ..
  Kavouss Arasteh:May you advise to reconnect me again
  Kavouss Arasteh:TKS
  Michelle DeSmyter:Hi Kavouss - I will have the operator redial you
  Kavouss Arasteh:Tks with  apology in bothring
  Hadia Elminiawi:I can't hear a thing, has anyone started speaking
  Jeff Neuman:We will start in 3 minutes
  Jeff Neuman:2 minutes
  Jeff Neuman:1 minute
  Hadia Elminiawi:ok great thanks
  Dietmar Lenden - Valideus Ltd:Yes
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello All
  Katrin Ohlmer | DOTZON:Hi ALl
  Jeff Neuman:Just waiting for recording to start
  Annebeth Lange:Hi all!
  Rubens Kuhl:Recording is still paused.
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):info about CWG UCTN - is it relevant?
  Michelle DeSmyter:thank you Jeff :)
  Annebeth Lange:Dear all,As you will recall the final paper was subbmitted to the ccNSO and GNSO Councils for deliberation and decision-making prior to ICANN 59.At its meeting on 20 July, last Thursday, the ccNSO Council discussed the recommendations in the final paper and adopted the reoslutions (included below).The resolutions will become effective 7 days after publicationon the ccNSO website,Kind regards,Bart
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Ok, I will talk when time comes
  Emily Barabas:WT1 is meeting tomorrow, Tuesday, at 20:00 UTC
  VANDA SCARTEZINI:RELEVANT POINT KAVOUSS DIFFICULT TO AVOID
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I am not sure GNSO can influence GAC, due to quite different level of power in the latter
  Karen Day:Correct:  WT3 August 1 @ 15:00
  Kavouss Arasteh:I never said or terefferd to what you talking about Maxim
  Rubens Kuhl:Wt4
  VANDA SCARTEZINI:@kavouss , my suggestion is focus on the rationale behind any complain, may be set some minimum poitn that shall be covered in any complain... just frist thoughts
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):@Kavouss, Thanks for the clarification.
  Kavouss Arasteh:Secretariat, pls replaced *ferred" by "referred" as it was misspelled bye
  Annebeth Lange:I have update frrom CWG UCTN when we come to agenda point 3. As I wrote in the chat, the final paper is now adopted by the ccNSO council. However, there might be of interest to report a little more on the resolutions
  Rubens Kuhl:RSSAC
  Rubens Kuhl:RSSAC, SSAC and OCTO
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):@Jeff, please transfer my number in the queue to Annabeth (a CWG UCTN co-Chair)
  Rubens Kuhl:Office of the CTO, exactly
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):about the update on progress in CWG UCTN
  Kavouss Arasteh:Jeff, pls clarify that 1000 per year issue as I am not sure well explained whether that 1000 appliation is stems from one or how many sources/applicants and where that nomber comes from?
  Rubens Kuhl:Kavouss, that number was made up by ICANN Org during an IETF meeting as unimaginably large number.
  Rubens Kuhl:Since then, that number has been used as a parameter.
  Kavouss Arasteh:1000?
  VANDA SCARTEZINI:i remember 1000/year will be safe
  Katrin Ohlmer | DOTZON:Fact is, we do not have any reliable source about potential demand.
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):if we need some historical
  Kavouss Arasteh:1000 application on what?
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):ifo - we might try to reach someone who was in ICANN Office by then
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):but I am not sure it will be anything usefull
  Kavouss Arasteh:pls kindly clarify the limit of 1000? is it the total numbers of application that could be made from all applicants?
  Rubens Kuhl:1000 new gTLD delegations.
  Emily Barabas:ICANN59 F2F session transcripts: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sched.co_B49Q&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=F3H_fnoVB_TmJLfQT9PYxnj42UXznKyQQHXR3I6PqfQ&s=AYBXDMhrexVAPls6QKAuKzxRQM6gAejz5ztpCTwelQg&e=
  Rubens Kuhl:So it's the total number of strings that would be added in a year to the root zone.
  Kavouss Arasteh:delegation or application?
  Rubens Kuhl:Delegation
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):delegations per year
  Rubens Kuhl:Since more than one party can apply to the same string, a delegation results from one to many applications.
  Kavouss Arasteh:That means, irrespective of number of application ,ICANN could only be able to delegate 1000 of those application?
  Steve Chan:Link to the full group face-to-face, which includes the transcript: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sched.co_B49Q&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=F3H_fnoVB_TmJLfQT9PYxnj42UXznKyQQHXR3I6PqfQ&s=AYBXDMhrexVAPls6QKAuKzxRQM6gAejz5ztpCTwelQg&e=
  Rubens Kuhl:ICANN could delegate much more, but committed to not go beyond 1000/year since everybody else said 1000/year to be safe.
  Rubens Kuhl:Not that they were asked how much would be safe, but were asked if 1000/year would be safe, and all said yes.
  Kavouss Arasteh:What is the justification for that limit be the maximum?
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I think it was just guess , without much of justification
  Rubens Kuhl:There is none. This number was posed as an incredibly high optimistic view of the number of applied-for strings.
  Steve Chan:Cross community geographic names sesssions, session 1: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sched.co_B3pX&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=F3H_fnoVB_TmJLfQT9PYxnj42UXznKyQQHXR3I6PqfQ&s=ZT3pcJfti1lt3MLcAlwgQL1tP79B__biqAnGc0YmAtY&e=  and session 2: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sched.co_B3pD&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=F3H_fnoVB_TmJLfQT9PYxnj42UXznKyQQHXR3I6PqfQ&s=lnSeUNf_wjvKp27MkGLEseeYtKFrR6W3pqXdKa4JhDQ&e=
  Rubens Kuhl:At that time, the expectation was to 500 applications, so it would be less strings than that...
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):some details could be found  in https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__archives.republicans.energycommerce.house.gov_Media_file_Hearings_Telecom_121411_Pritz.pdf&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=F3H_fnoVB_TmJLfQT9PYxnj42UXznKyQQHXR3I6PqfQ&s=K-5f1yOn7jscPeQbXdmkTkd9mmndUfSWJHkpkVkFKwo&e=  reference 41
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):it has letter from RSSAC (2010) and 2010 Root zone scaling reports references
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:sorry -did not hear the topic for Work Track 5 - what is it called?  Geo names at Top Level?
  Kavouss Arasteh:Suppose 3000 application came in and 2500 of them successfully examined and terminate the process but ICANN should not delegate more than 1000 of that why? h0w that 1000 are selected among the e 2500 which successfully applied the provcess in the example that I gave
  Rubens Kuhl:The only hard limit from that time, which is probably invalid nowadays but was once valid, was the 100,000 total TLD delegation limit.
  Annebeth Lange:Anne, yes
  Karen Day:I have to drop now.  good day all.
  Annebeth Lange:Yes
  Rubens Kuhl:Kavouss, if that happened, 1000 would be delegated one year, 1000 the next year, 500 the last year.
  Rubens Kuhl:The sequence would be up for implementation.
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Do we know how WS5 is going to interact with ccNSO? (on matters of GEO names on top level)
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):as far as I know, last few yeas it was GAC and ccNSO separate efforts, mostly not synced
  Steve Chan:The ccNSO's resolutions were in regards to the Final Paper of the CWG on the Use of Country and Territory Names, available here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ccnso.icann.org_workinggroups_ccwg-2Dctn-2Dfinal-2Dpaper-2D15jun17-2Den.pdf&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=F3H_fnoVB_TmJLfQT9PYxnj42UXznKyQQHXR3I6PqfQ&s=EA9lbwKU7-30pewQi1Vr60CQa2Z9gIml299ziCnaIgs&e=
  Robin Gross:Will the WT5 be limited to only "geographic" words or will other types of words like cultural, religious, and sensitive words try to fall under the "geographic" concept in WT5?
  Kavouss Arasteh:Jeff Pls allow me to take follow up comments on the first question
  Kavouss Arasteh:Robin, Geographic " word should be limited to "Geographic"
  Annebeth Lange:Kavouss, I think the plan is to have a co-chair from AC/SOs - and as many participants as possible to share their competence
  Greg Shatan:The "one from each" applies only to leadership of WT5, not to participation.
  VANDA SCARTEZINI:@ Annebeth yes,  there is no limit to participation.
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):could we say - that co-chair seats are reserved for the representatives of the SO/AC?
  Rubens Kuhl:Except having an SOI, which is the only requirement for every GNSO PDP.
  Annebeth Lange:And of course,what we hope, is that as many as possible also from GAC, ALAC and ccNSO will participate
  VANDA SCARTEZINI:for sure Annebeth, I am the one that intend to participate as I am following this discussion since the beginning many years ago, though only now it really came out as really relevant..
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):indeed including some of us not just from the previous efforts though some of us will of course be there...
  Annebeth Lange:@ Vanda, that makes two of us. I have lived wtth Country & Territory names since our time together!
  VANDA SCARTEZINI:@annebeth , lets not remember so many years....
  Emily Barabas:It will appear here, but it looks like it has not yet been posted: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ccnso.icann.org_about_council_decisions-2Dresolutions_2017&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=F3H_fnoVB_TmJLfQT9PYxnj42UXznKyQQHXR3I6PqfQ&s=0VrAstgj2c9SOn9RM2C0qSHLJD7V_ic7IVf0QMw0fMY&e=
  Kavouss Arasteh:What is Cross Community Consultation Group??
  Steve Chan:@Jeff, that's a link to the Final Report.
  Steve Chan:The resolutions are NOT posted yet, but will be available here when they are posted: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ccnso.icann.org_about_council_decisions-2Dresolutions_2017&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=F3H_fnoVB_TmJLfQT9PYxnj42UXznKyQQHXR3I6PqfQ&s=0VrAstgj2c9SOn9RM2C0qSHLJD7V_ic7IVf0QMw0fMY&e=
  Annebeth Lange:Kavouss: the ccNSO Council  - The council of the ccTLD SO
  Kavouss Arasteh:who and how and by who that group was created?
  Heather Forrest:Correct, Jeff. For reference, next GNSO Council meeting is late August.
  Rubens Kuhl:I have to drop at this time.
  Annebeth Lange:Kavouss: Se ccnso.icann.org
  Rubens Kuhl:Bye...
  Annebeth Lange:Sorry, I have to leave. Is there any more questions for me?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bye Annabeth
  Emily Barabas:@Annebeth -- if any additional questions are raised for you, staff will relay them
  Emily Barabas:thanks for joining
  Annebeth Lange:Great, Emily. Bye, all, I will now continue my holidayl ;-)
  Emily Barabas:and speaking to the resolution
  Hadia Elminiawi:bye annabeth
  Kavouss Arasteh:There should be no priority for one agaist other
  VANDA SCARTEZINI:have a nice holiday Annebeth!
  Gg Levine (NABP):How do you define a gap?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):it would be a desirable thing to explore I guess but I haven't thought deeply on that Jeff
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:i had the same question as Jamie
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Have to run for another meeting.  I'll be on vaction from July 30-August 14 so give my apologies in advance for all WG and WT calls I'll miss.
  Phil Buckingham:good points, Anne .  A global accountancy firm (s)  can scale up based on cost per financial evaluation
  Trang Nguyen:The application volume topic has a broad impact, certainly on ICANN org, but also on the community. For example, the GAC Early Warning process, the application comment period (which allows the broad community to review applications and provide comments), the objection process.
  Katrin Ohlmer | DOTZON:Why don't we use the application volume from the last round as a test for the different models?
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:sorry - came off mute by accident.  thanks to staff for warning me
  VANDA SCARTEZINI:yes, my first thoughts would be to reduce number of applications per year. lets say 300 maximum per year . depends on resources, cost + persons ...
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I think that it might be better to use best month's volume (most probably will be over 1000 per year)
  Steve Chan:@Jeff, time check
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):bye all
  Martin Sutton:I have to drop off the call. Thanks all.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:I think it makes sense to look at how many applications we were able to process in each calendar year since 2012
  Steve Chan:Don't believe so
  VANDA SCARTEZINI:thanks to all!
  Katrin Ohlmer | DOTZON:Thanks all.
  Hadia Elminiawi:Thank you all
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bye for now then...
  Robin Gross:Thanks, Jeff and all.  Bye!
  Hadia Elminiawi:bye
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Thanks jeff et al