[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Actions/Discussion Notes: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 06 March 2017

Emily Barabas emily.barabas at icann.org
Mon Mar 6 23:16:44 UTC 2017

Dear Working Group Members,

Please see below the action items and discussion notes captured by staff from the meeting on 06 March 2017.  These high-level notes are designed to help WG members navigate through the content of the call and are not meant to be a substitute for the recording or transcript. Please also see the recording and transcript on the meeting page: https://community.icann.org/x/9JLRAw.

Kind regards,
Emily

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes/Action Items:

ACTION ITEM: Consider having tech support on calls to monitor for problems.

1.  SOIs -- No updates

2.  Work Track Updates

Work Track 1 -- Christa Taylor: No update.  If everyone could review the updates in the questions - that would be great.

Work Track 2 -- Michael Flemming

-- No update per se.  Continuing meeting per the schedule.  Recently started on the closed generics.

Work Track 3 -- Karen Day

-- Meets tomorrow at 1500 UTC.  Robin Gross will lead the meeting.  Continuing work on string related issues: objections, similarity, community-based objections.

Work Track 4 -- Cheryl Langdon-Orr

-- Met today.  Topic was name collisions.  Managed to resolve one or two questions and tabled another two.  Will continue that work.

3. Community Comment 2 (CC2) First reading continued.  (Working document here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iZBCVEAJPBYEDg7jLsMHKkNczR_b6-jH2Wl5eVH-WWM/edit?usp=sharing).

ACTION ITEM: check the numbering and correct, as needed.

ACTION ITEM: throughout the CC2 document, ask for an explanation regardless of whether the response is "yes" or "no"

-- Trying to make sure that the questions are clear and for others to answer.

Section 2.1 Base Registry Agreement:

2.1.1 -- any clarifications (note that numbering needs to be checked)

2.1.3 -- Restrictions relating to sunrise periods.  No questions or clarifications

2.1.4 -- One of the issues was that this needs to have examples.  Do we need examples?  Fine with the answer at this point.  Not very clear as drafted.  Long sentences that are difficult to properly understand.  Re: "Should the application form state" not clear what part of the application.

-- Maybe the word "state" is not the most common meaning.  Perhaps editing that sentence "should the application form explain..."

-- What do we mean by "balance be struck between allowing the [repeat "the] the community"?

-- That is ideomatic speech.  Could be "balance be found".
ACTION ITEM: clarify text in 2.1.4; replace the word “state” with “explain”; change “balance be struck” to balance be “found”

From the chat:

Paul McGrady: Can we draw a distinction between an evolution of a business plan and a change in the nature of the registry itself?

2.3 Reserved Names (renumber):

2.3.1 re: string requirements and 2.3.2 re: list of Reserved Names:

ACTION ITEM: check the references against the Applicant Guidebook and add URLs.

2.3.3 -- Special Use Domain Names  -- Is Raymond Zylstra's edit more clear?  The question is saying that there is a 6761 procedure in the IETF and they will reserve the name when appropriate according to their procedure ("is appropriate" is correct).  the last clause might be dangling.

ACTION: Edit for 2.3.3 for clarity.

-- The question about whether the Special Use Domain Names -- change it "Do you think that" instead of "Should..."

2.3.5 -- Re: reserved names

-- Change to "right to reserve domain name[s]"  Comments are answers rather than changes to the question.

-- What is the basis to have these names reserved [audio dropped out]..why was the unlimited number of reserved names and where does 100 names come from?

- The right came from the registry agreement.  It was something that got negotiated in and then was put into the Applicant Guidebook.  Specification 5 has the language on 100 names and no limit for reserving any other names subject to releasing them to an ICANN accredited registrar.

-- Is this not warehousing TLDs?  Perhaps the question is "Do you believe that the 100 and unlimited number should be reviewed?"

-- The above comment seems to be an answer to the question, or a response.

From the chat:

Alexander Schubert: (It is my understanding they escaped the TMCH ... correct me if wrong)

Michael Flemming: I think the question is correct as it is now.

Alexander Schubert: In regard to "reserved TLD names":     Work Track 2 also covers section 2.2.1.4.1 = Treatment of Country or Territory Names on Top-Level.    Do we cover that later?

2.3.6 -- Question doesn't seem to be clear.

-- Needs to be rewritten for clarity.

-- Cross reference to the amendment.

-- Before our PDP ends changes to the Registry Agreement will include these new reserved names.

ACTION ITEM: clarify and reword.