[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Mp3, Attendance, AC Recording & AC Chat from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures WG call on 28 March 2017

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Tue Mar 28 14:41:59 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call held on Tuesday, 28 March 2017 at 3:00 UTC. Attendance of the calls is also posted on the agenda wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/6LDRAw

MP3:  https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-28mar17-en.mp3

AC Recording: https://participate.icann.org/p7qm3nfeqwf/
 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-08sep16-en.mp3>

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/6LDRAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Tuesday, 28 March 2017

Michelle DeSmyter: Dear All, Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures WG call on Tuesday, 28 March 2017 at 3:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Meeting page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_6LDRAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=P4qDsVs28a_XQdEJMnU8EQtz5_1SsGeiW9XM3ntAR4Y&s=lnIOL0EUTxyYCbF9gUeLj1qyD_bSu_NMv1s4n0XMeTI&e=
  Christopher Niemi:Heard :)
  Julie Hedlund:Yes, we can hear you Avri
  Michael Flemming:Good afternoon everyone!
  Annebeth Lange:Good morning, all!
  Emily Barabas:Emily Barabas: Upcoming topics: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_spreadsheets_d_1O-5FNpWTXFMNHkJARveqCapEssRt1CaEqwWe8g2-5Fw493E_edit&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=P4qDsVs28a_XQdEJMnU8EQtz5_1SsGeiW9XM3ntAR4Y&s=YXHFWPkXHPPgZQymCvgSZmMKYyZiLSTaKsOfLUhnluE&e=
  Christa Taylor:nope, can't hear her
  Jeff Neuman:I cant either
  Karen Day:Sorry, new headset.
  Justine Chew:Nope, I can't either
  Karen Day:Go on to Jeff, I will type my update
  Robin Gross:sounds ok to me, Jeff.
  Karen Day:Just wanted to add that WRT 58 - the big topic of interest from both our PDP sessions and the GAC are the community applications and the COE report.
  Karen Day:And also the Geo names will will be impacted by our upcoming discussions on Freedom of Expression
  Jeff Neuman:Thanks Avri - that would be for WT2 (Special Use names)
  Emily Barabas:25 April
  Jeff Neuman:25th
  Jeff Neuman:2 Webinars :)
  Emily Barabas:Details about the webinar are here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_display_NGSPP_Geographic-2BNames-2BWebinar-2Band-2BICANN59-2BSession&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=P4qDsVs28a_XQdEJMnU8EQtz5_1SsGeiW9XM3ntAR4Y&s=n9BVk4pG44wycft2bxdnvBcSG2E7IrDsxC-iGkGNhZE&e=
  Jeff Neuman:Emily - Has cc2 been sent to all applicants?
  Michael Flemming:Is a poll being circulated to figure out the expected attendance or the preferred times of day for the two webinars?
  Michael Flemming:Oh the two times are already set.
  Michael Flemming:Alright.
  Jeff Neuman:@Michael - yes two times 15-17:00 UTC and then 22:00 - 23:59
  Christa Taylor:+1
  Michael Flemming:+9,000
  Michael Flemming:Have any comments been submitted, yet?
  Steve Chan:No comments received yet
  Emily Barabas:the slides are now unsynced
  Michael Flemming:I know I promised not to ask too many questions, but I feel this one is of importance. Will we be assigning these recommendations to individual WT/Full WG or will we just do this on the full WG level?
  Michael Flemming:Thanks
  Victor Zhang:Question :  Any news about  the name collision  problem  in the first Round  ,   about ,home,   .mail, etc ?
  Emily Barabas:The full CCT-RT report is available at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_en_system_files_files_cct-2Drt-2Ddraft-2Dreport-2D07mar17-2Den.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=P4qDsVs28a_XQdEJMnU8EQtz5_1SsGeiW9XM3ntAR4Y&s=WQTVXgxBy-mrlKW84ZsEh-g9hvxzmTGqr6PfAK7GLx0&e=
  Michael Flemming:I will leave it be for now.
  Michael Flemming:Just that the key word is "consider" here.
  Michael Flemming:And how much of we can do with that from a policy standpoint.
  Trang Nguyen:@Jeff, correct. The study found a link between restrictions and level of trust.
  Emily Barabas:@victor, name collisions are within the scope of work track 4
  Donna Austin, Neustar:I'm not sure it is possible to 'create incentives to encourage' such things.
  Donna Austin, Neustar:So I think I'm agreeing with Michael.
  Greg Shatan:Not possible or not desirable?
  Victor Zhang:thanks , I  think this must be handled  before the  Next Round ~
  Donna Austin, Neustar:These seem also to be taken from the GAC safeguards associated with regulated sectors,
  Christa Taylor:+1 Greg - the insight would be really helpful
  Michael Flemming:+1 to Greg, we need background for each of these recommendations
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Yes, it was Wednesday.
  Michael Flemming:Still, Jeff, having a separate session or presentation that presents each of these recommendations that are directed at our group would do well.
  Donna Austin, Neustar:Agree with Jeff, there is a lot of information in the body of the report.
  Emily Barabas:The transcript of the community-facing SubPro session at ICANN58 is available here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__schedule.icann.org_event_9sZB_gnso-2Dnew-2Dgtld-2Dsubsequent-2Dprocedures-2Dpdp-2Dworking-2Dgroup-2Dcommunity-2Ddialogue&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=P4qDsVs28a_XQdEJMnU8EQtz5_1SsGeiW9XM3ntAR4Y&s=pVsAL1CK5lrM3TTRKfEp3fYKbJsz4A2Aps4VOh1_UV0&e=
  Greg Shatan:I was there, and I still feel that we need more conceptual understanding of why they say what they say.
  Jeff Neuman:Emily - Also the link to our working session
  Karen Day:+1 Greg.  I came away similarly scratching my head at what they are trying to get at with a lot of these.
  Emily Barabas:Transcript for SubPro Working Session at ICANN58: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__schedule.icann.org_event_9nmb_gnso-2Dnew-2Dgtld-2Dsubsequent-2Dprocedures-2Dpolicy-2Ddevelopment-2Dprocess-2Dworking-2Dgroup-2Dmeeting&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=P4qDsVs28a_XQdEJMnU8EQtz5_1SsGeiW9XM3ntAR4Y&s=eMmqfCxoIi1-aFnMQylTpgD4C7RaOJEB_c_Ce3F-GK8&e=
  Greg Shatan:Note that Rec 33 is sent to ICANN Org and future CCT-RTs as well as us....
  Trang Nguyen:I believe this recommendation requires ICANN org to collect the data and provide to the PDP WG. However, the timing doesn't make sense.
  Trang Nguyen:*or rather the priority level
  Donna Austin, Neustar:It looks like a tough one to gather data for.
  Greg Shatan:I think one would need to define concretely what you are actually measuring.
  Michael Flemming:This says PDP working group, but does that mean us?
  avri doria:i beleive so
  avri doria:but we can conform
  avri doria:confirm
  Michael Flemming:We need to, because the Review looks at RPM PDP Working Group, Subpro, and others.
  Karen Day:I believe that those which do not specify a particular PDP are up for debate as to which PDP
  Trang Nguyen:All of the data collection is directed at icann org
  Emily Barabas:Some of the recommendations are directed to a PDP WG, but do not specify which group
  Emily Barabas:These are included in the slides
  Emily Barabas:as well as those that are specifically for this PDP
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Rec. 36 seems inconsistent with Rec. 14.  Am I misunderstanding?
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):OK, thanks.  I'll read that section of the report.
  Greg Shatan:We need more clarity on what. the "restrictions on competition" are.
  Greg Shatan:Not sure that "restricts competition."
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):So is CCT effectively recommending that voluntary PICs *should not* be permitted if not included in the original application?
  Greg Shatan:This refers to "voluntary" PICs, so we wouldn't be mandating them necessarily,
  Michael Flemming:All we would need to do is say "If there are volunteer pics, then please state the goal".
  Donna Austin, Neustar:We can set objectives, but that doesn't mean they will be met.
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Does "needs to" = "should" in the must/should/may scheme?
  Donna Austin, Neustar:Agree Jeff, a lot of potential difficulties with this one.
  Christa Taylor 2:A difficult one considering the difficulty of determining the 'middle' applicant
  Christa Taylor 2:yes
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Is "underserved communities" different from "Global South"?
  Michael Flemming:On this one, I really think we are limited at looking at costs that are outside of the scope of ICANN. Back end costs, etc. are determined by the provider.
  Christa Taylor 2:I think Global South was from AMGlobal's focus in S. America vs. other geographic areas
  Robin Gross:I would hope "global south" includes the likes of Detroit and Flint
  avri doria:and do they mean to include both?
  avri doria:Robin, aren't they underserved communities? :)
  Robin Gross:Yes, I think so.
  avri doria:underserved communities is a term a lot of us try to use instead of Global south, in general
  Michael Flemming:Being willing to subsidize or volunteer to do is different than price regulation. So, that would be something to explore.
  Michael Flemming:Being willing to participate in a subsidized program*
  Greg Shatan 2:Isn't Rec 46 only about application costs, not operation costs?
  Robin Gross:underserved communities does sound more descriptive
  Robin Gross:and accurate
  Christa Taylor 2:Same with volunteers who would support potential registries - it was posted on the ICANN site
  Michael Flemming:I think the costs ofa  back end could be associated with application in this case.
  Michael Flemming:As the way these recommendations are written, I wouldn't doubt if they wnated to include that.
  Michael Flemming:Key thing to ask for is clarity.
  Trang Nguyen:ICANN did not play matchmaker, only provided the forum for those wishing to provide pro bono services and those looking for them to be listed. Certainly, the program can be evolved.
  Trang Nguyen:not directly
  Michael Flemming:3 more recommendations to go!
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Which "concerns" is the CCT referencing?
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Thanks, I'll check the report for more detail.
  Greg Shatan 2:The Crying of Rec 49
  Michael Flemming:Is this our only low?
  Michael Flemming:Agree with Jeff that as a prerequisite PDP to the subpro itself, all of oure recommendations would be high or higher.
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Can't we persuade some law student somewhere to write a law review article that covers rec. 50?
  Michael Flemming:We should submit those as a part of the Public Comment, no?
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Michael:  I'd rather we got their response before public comment so our public comment is appropriately directed.
  Trang Nguyen:Public comment is currently slated to close on 27 April.
  Michael Flemming:Agreed.
  Michael Flemming:Steve has his hand up.
  Jeff Neuman:Thanks all!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Thanks everyone, bye for now then...
  Annebeth Lange:Thanks and bye bye
  Christa Taylor 2:Have a good night
  Michael Flemming:Good day to all!
  Trang Nguyen:Thanks, everyone! Bye!