[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call on Tuesday, 02 May 2017

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Tue May 2 06:26:49 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call held on Tuesday, 02 May 2017 at 03:00 UTC. Attendance of the calls is also posted on the agenda wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/BtTRAw

MP3: https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-02may17-en.mp3<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mailer.samanage.com_wf_click-3Fupn-3DBicbgE3FNUxHuHwOPdgXp7PxnHhpBITaBzfgAxdndi-2D2BQpLBk2OOkLhZOQoXIA1ROGQJDkUK84in9vGMhsfbzfLLZsPPzLQKj8sxQ-2D2B-2D2BPc-2D2Fak-2D3D-5FbE-2D2FoTL3xpeyRVrNxqAJXQ5-2D2Fc3sJwLoyf3pmXa1IzazbYz4-2D2Bd8qa-2D2FJrWpKIptw4WpH-2D2Bv8N5ihUeILy8hhfEZ0k6OieCmGDkoU70IAQv3trcfxXtX-2D2Fhd24YsmyQp3NfZxV31qsIoSxEQ7NTVGcmRDBW7rOASOzkff5omc3A312aJ5wC9bvbyLTK-2D2BKSpSUrB1hS2Yxqj92D-2D2FpxL6BiQIO87YYQ1EaoVNSqkDjSoPXJZO3buFUiY-2D2BBY59MaIRHY5VvWfytX8dV6b6gDJF5t2tWJc75A5MOYm-2D2BvyJvGSu-2D2BpMHv295B4DzBdzUY6P57joEFnVH7GvGvJWR-2D2FYhrJjbAdhR2llSobr4H93kJ-2D2FAIBO1bMo9jTVjpatbvFp-2D2B6qBx-2D2BW1WU2oAP8lHGR2uQrogwme9wMHMI3R2ucSSefWK-2D2FMDHqclKbdens8O00vDAuMpVu-2D2B9Gr-2D2BFTKtadEAhfZX81DZgs0n3Wqe89wsa8UcJ4nD6UbEiIHai5230YzTlYqIZ5hJXNt7&d=DwMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=jwYLdVGX3W9XuKN3388xsp7NmD-zJKxqVrDGe1Ght1U&s=JeYbkH2lHKJh0sCn07ElIfEiLLIG33hzHA035hEXmkM&e=>

AC Recording: https://participate.icann.org/p4xl8is0j7g/

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar[gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar-23nov&d=DwMFAw&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=AhXNWBtYz-BXb7M2-3qcjKD0yCsmUykhrCZS5i-8AiE&s=QkqbJ4BucKABBgdhi6zxOiNbT63-FeBDIjTRmO2d7XA&e=>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/BtTRAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Tuesday, 02 May 2017
Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures WG call on Tuesday, 02 May 2017 at 03:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Meeting agenda page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_BtTRAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=ma0LfDIQxU00WHJVGdZB2xuBH-3m6aEomQ-WJc_7kjA&s=5DHBb_YLyANb0PVtAPXxhUf6nxKTRDRKAp0TciNou5s&e=
  Jeff Neuman:2 mins to start time
  Jeff Neuman:ok...lets get started
  Robin Gross:Reminder: WT3 tomorrow (2 May 20:00 UTC) will discuss freedom of expression and GAC Advice (Category 1 & 2 strings).  Please join.
  Michelle DeSmyter:yes
  Rubens Kuhl:Yes we can.
  Quoc Pham:yes
  Julie Hedlund:Anne has raised her hand.
  Emily Barabas:Correct, he document is unsynced
  Julie Hedlund:The document is unsynced.
  Julie Hedlund:Anyone can move it.
  avri doria:yes
  avri doria:lots of lag tnight
  Karen Day:We sound like a Verizon commercial :)
  Steve Chan:detail?
  Emily Barabas:For those who who would like to follow along in the Google Doc, the link is here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1LC-2D1-2DZ2auN2XTSJXyW34eWnGgNuuDInIOeJ1TcZ7z58_edit&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=ma0LfDIQxU00WHJVGdZB2xuBH-3m6aEomQ-WJc_7kjA&s=XYzxXxD7on40y8b7CcQUO8dvU2klKPsY8Akpfo4w-_I&e=
  Jeff Neuman:i am in
  Jeff Neuman:i can help
  Steve Chan:Back to you Jeff :)
  Emily Barabas:The CCT-RT Report provides context on the recommendation 10 on page 55-56: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_en_system_files_files_cct-2Drt-2Ddraft-2Dreport-2D07mar17-2Den.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=ma0LfDIQxU00WHJVGdZB2xuBH-3m6aEomQ-WJc_7kjA&s=_43q3JgcVqEIFVvZseo7Ql_jApnZuiKartfiqdNkpWI&e=
  Emily Barabas:Using these data, we determined: (1) whether each of the trademarks in our data wasregistered by the trademark holder in least one legacy gTLD; (2) whether the same string wasregistered by the trademark holder in at least one new gTLD and (3) for those strings thatwere registered by the trademark holder in at least one new gTLD, the number of new gTLDsin which the trademark holder had registered the string. We found that 54% of the stringsthat were registered in a legacy gTLD were also registered in at least one a new gTLD. We alsofound that, of these strings, 3 was the median number of registrations in new gTLDs. That is,half of the trademarks that were analyzed were registered in 3 or fewer new gTLDs.121 We alsofound that three-quarter of these strings were registered in 7 or fewer new gTLDs and that90% of these strings were registered in 17 or fewer new gTLDs.122 At the same time, a smallnumber of trademarked strings were registered in a large number of TLDs: 4% of trademarkswere registered in at least 100
  Emily Barabas:new gTLDs, and one was registered in 406 new gTLDs. Extrapolating the sample across all marks, we would expect that trademark holders wouldhave made approximately 80,000 total registrations of their trademarks in new gTLDs as ofSeptember 2016, which represents .3% of all registrations within new gTLDs123. We concludefrom this analysis that, although the direct cost of the New gTLD Program for most trademarkholders related to defensive registrations appears to be lower than some had feared priorto the inception of the program, a small fraction of trademark holders are likely incurringsignificant costs.
  Emily Barabas:The recommended edit was submitted by Kristina Rosette
  Emily Barabas:Sure
  Justine Chew:I think Kristina's proposal to (if I understand her correctly) include her comment to the high level overview section is sound.
  Robin Gross:I agree.
  Jim Prendergast:that's a good point Jeff
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):agree with you there Jeff
  Justine Chew:Agree with you, Jeff. CCT-RT not policy determinator.
  Steve Chan:How about, "If not, please provide additional details and clarity"
  Julie Hedlund:Anne has her hand up.
  Emily Barabas:This language reflects comments made in the last meeting by Alan Greenberg
  Emily Barabas:Apologies, this is an error on the staff side
  Emily Barabas:this paragraph should have been placed in the following recommendation
  Julie Hedlund:Anne has hand up and Greg.
  Julie Hedlund:@Anne: Staff may not have got it right.  Defer to Jeff.
  Justine Chew:Can staff check and clarify what we should be looking at then please?
  avri doria:made voluntariily
  Justine Chew:Voluntary means non-mandatory, isn't it?
  Julie Hedlund:@Justine: Staff will check the recording.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):seems to need wordsmiithing
  Justine Chew:@Julie, got it, thanks.
  avri doria:have you tried walking away from ICANN
  Justine Chew:Lol
  Justine Chew:Any PICs submitted, if submitted.....
  Greg Shatan:@Avri, to paraphrase Mark Twain on smoking: Quitting ICANN is easy; I've done it thousands of times.
  Emily Barabas:I believe this edit was proposed by Kristina Rosette
  Alexander Schubert:So instead of Caribbean offshores portfolio applicants might be incentived by choosing the Seychelles?
  Emily Barabas:I think you covered everything
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):@staff - you guys are doing a great job in the notes - hope I did not imply otherwise!  Anne
  Steve Chan:The Wiki pages for the drafting teams can be found here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_XqLRAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=ma0LfDIQxU00WHJVGdZB2xuBH-3m6aEomQ-WJc_7kjA&s=TSHnfm8gfugrozrNu9nV3PYXLYxtDKSbJNCmww7Hu5s&e=
  Steve Chan:Each team has a page with their own Google doc and there is also a page for membership
  avri doria:good time for those of us not at GDD meet to work on the drafting team docs
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):Thank you Jeff, staff et al.  Goodbye and safe travels to GDD for those who are going!
  Justine Chew:I appreciate this time-slot is made available for us APAC residents.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thanks everyone good call...  talk again soon...  bye for now
  avri doria:thank you Justine
  Victor Zhang:thanks ,Jeff
  avri doria:bye
  Victor Zhang:bye