[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Complaint to Ombuds: Meeting schedule was Re: Proposal to Extend CC2 Deadline

Herb Waye herb.waye at icann.org
Wed May 17 00:46:25 UTC 2017

Dear all,

This email is in response to an email complaint filed on May 1st with the Office of the Ombudsman, to which you were all cc’ed.

Since taking office as the ICANN Ombuds last July I have been particularly focused on being a resource to the greater ICANN community and have been vocal in offering my assistance on a broader scale than as stated in the old bylaws: actions, inactions by Board, staff etc. The new bylaws (Oct. 2016) are much more focused on the community and fair treatment for all.

This effort has resulted in not only an increase in people contacting me regarding conflict in many of the working groups, but more importantly, people are contacting me immediately when conflict arises. This allows prompt intervention and remedy rather than a deterioration of relationships and the undermining of efficiency and effectiveness.

Without going into detail I am pleased to advise the working group that this complaint has been resolved and that I can bear witness to a unanimous demonstration of support for the leadership of the working group.

I would like to highlight the professional, “human” approach taken by all involved and their willingness to communicate in a clear, respectful and objective manner. This cooperative atmosphere allowed for a timely discussion and quick resolution.

In closing I would like to remind everyone that as a community we are all in this together and underline the importance of professional and respectful behavior in all our interactions, whether online or in person.

I wish the entire working group and its co-chairs a productive and positive environment moving forward so together we can maintain ICANN as a safe, respectful and harassment free environment for all.

Respectfully, Herb

Herb Waye
ICANN Ombudsman

https://www.icann.org/ombudsman

https://www.facebook.com/ICANNOmbudsman

Twitter: @IcannOmbudsman

ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior:

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/expected-standards-15sep16-en.pdf
Community Anti-Harassment Policy
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/community-anti-harassment-policy-2017-03-24-en
Confidentiality
All matters brought before the Ombudsman shall be treated as confidential.  The Ombudsman shall also take all reasonable steps necessary to preserve the privacy of, and to avoid harm to, those parties not involved in the complaint being investigated by the Ombudsman.The Ombudsman shall only make inquiries about, or advise staff or Board members of the existence and identity of, a complainant in order to further the resolution of the complaint.  The Ombudsman shall take all reasonable steps necessary to ensure that if staff and Board members are made aware of the existence and identity of a complainant, they agree to maintain the confidential nature of such information, except as necessary to further the resolution of a complaint