[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Proposed Agenda: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group, 15 May 2017 at 15:00 UTC

Kavouss Arasteh kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com
Fri May 19 21:14:36 UTC 2017

Dear All

*I have received the above surprising message which seems GNSO and ICANN
advokating contention*

*" message **There will be LOT’s of contention**: **And that is good –**
it’s competition; and competition drives innovation **and is healthy**.*

*Comments**¨*

*Not  every body expect to live with contention???*

*“ That is good “ **It may be good for SOME PEOPLE  and not for every
body??*

*Contention is not a driving for innovation and it is not good nor healthy
at all*

*.**·*         *ICANN will take AT MINIMUM 1 to 2 years to process all
these 10,000 applications*

*What is the basis for that processing period? where  people have got that
information?*

*At least I can not  envisage  the conmplexity or otherwise of any of those
10000 strings*

*·*         *I agree with Rob: We should NOT allow for ANYBODY to put in
stops between “rounds” (like this time).*

*Whom  referred as **"WE"*

*People may speak for themselves only or for any one supporting them and
NOT for others *

* So AFTER the “reveal” of the applied for strings ICANN shall open up to
receive applications for the next round a few month thereafter (without any
new PDP) at an ALREADY fixed date.*

*it seems  an individual now decides  for icann**????*

*·*         *However: These “round 3” applications cannot be processed for
at LEAST  one year (probably TWO years) due to ICANN’s workload – so “FCFS”
at that stage would only mean “preventing competition” – nothing else.*

*Where this guestimate enmanated from **·*

*So ICANN should simply accept new applications for a year or two *

*Who has decided so ?*

*and allow contention to happen.*

*Why ICANN should look for contention *

* It’s fruitful.*

*What is fruitful? The contention? Or the anarchy? *

* Once the round closes the strings will be made public. We COULD DISCUSS
that those applying early in the 3rd round have an early evaluation (an
incentive to apply early)*

*Why people persuade others to apply early’to warehouse the srtings?*

*To prevent others to have access to DNS? *

*To create contention ?.*

 *But I see no justification or “public benefit” in eliminating innovation
and competition through FCFS*

* Funny???**. *

*FCFS is not innovation. It is warehousing. *

*·*         *This mechanism can revolve: Immediately after the closing of
the 3rd round the 4th starts: And closes say 6 month later (obviously
depending on the workload of ICANN).*

*It is good to dream ??? and talk about 3RD round, 4th round and???’…. *

*·*         *This goes on until no contention is observed anymore – upon
which we phase* *into an ongoing process.*

*It seems that people establishes long term strategies for the entire
community.It is interesting ???*

*Regards*

*Kavouss *