[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Proposed Agenda: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group, 15 May 2017 at 15:00 UTC

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Sat May 20 13:14:43 UTC 2017

Dear Kavouss,

as you quote some of my “thoughts” I might answer directly:

*         The reason why we (this group) have to guestimate the application volume, time ICANN needs to process that volume and next “rounds” (or other mechanisms) is that without any metrics (and being it wild guesses) nobody can plan. Part of the exercise of open exchange in a mailing list like this one is to build an opinion. Obviously it is guesswork – but guesswork is better than no basis for planning at all. The reason why we talk about the application mechanism AFTER the 2nd round is that this is what we are mandated with: finding a procedure how in the future new gTLDs are added to the DNS. That is NOT just tied to the next round. This PDP is NOT a “second round PDP” – and afterwards we start a “third round PDP”. Unless of course we decide to do so. Hence we are discussing what happens AFTER the 2nd round.

*         Regarding “First Come First Serve” (FCFS) vs. “pooling to allow for competition to happen”: Everybody is free to put forward their opinion on that. The Internet has so far evolved so quickly and in such creative ways because almost EVERY ASPECT about it was shaped by competition. The only area that couldn’t evolve was the DNS – and we strive to end that. Unfortunately each string in the DNS is “unique” – whereas everything else in the Internet can be copied and made better: Social Networks, Ride Share Networks or ISPs for example. If you are allocating a unique resource that can only be allocated ONCE: Then (in my humble opinion) let AT LEAST at the point of allocation competition happen. IF there IS competition within a reasonable frame of time. Hence my proposal to allow for pooling where it doesn’t slow down the process (e.g. because ICANN needs X years to process the 2nd round) – and once we see that pooling doesn’t resolve in competition anymore: switch to an ongoing process.

Btw; here an information about the “.com” 2nd level namespace and allocation of names – and what happens to “name spaces” in the “real world”:
Everybody knows that all two and three letter .com domains are taken since ages. But there are 456,976 four letter combinations out there – and surely not all of them are registered as .com domain? After all: who desires a domain like xyqv.com? Well: Since 2013 ALL of these 460,000 llll.com are taken! Many not even routed at all. It is a “FIAT CURRENCY” of sorts. Not “demand” drove registrations – it was the other way around: Registrations were done to drive the price! If you deplete a certain resource (here 4 letter .com domains) then that FORCES people to buy for top Dollars at the secondary market.
gTLDs are domains, too: At the top level. I would honestly not be utterly surprised if somebody would sweep up at least all “premium letter” “.lll” gTLDs (that would be about 5,800 gTLD strings as there are 18 premium letters). It would be a US $145 Million “investment” if the application fees came down to US $50k. It is quite easy to imagine that these US $145 Million would be recovered SPEEDY in “private contention resolution” procedures directly after the “reveal”: You just need to find 145 companies (and GEOs, etc) who would quietly pay you a Million each in order to avoid delays and auctions, etc. After having sold 145 of your 5,800 strings you start to make profit – and you never have to really rely on earning A DIME with actually “running” any of these gTLDs.
Now when you would run the 2nd round in a FCFS style: I can assure you that somebody who shells out THAT money can EASILY create a technical solution to get through their applications ahead of everybody else. Remember the 2005 introduction of .eu domains? People rented servers in the same datacenter where the EURID’s servers were placed – the competition was INSANE. And those were just .eu domains – not GTLDs. Or the “ll.de” introduction in Germany 2010? MAYHAM broke out. Pure insanity – all because FCFS.
In short: When you eliminate any and all mechanisms of “pooling” (and the resulting competition afterwards) by using FCFS you run the risk of people snacking up (for example) the important portion of the premium letter “.lll” namespace – then they can sit tight and charge organizations, companies, cities, etc an arm and a leg to buy these string from them.

This is just one horror scenario I made up – I am sure others can make up better ones. FCFS invites criminal practices – just study the .eu sunrise and landrush disaster (btw I warned them 6 month upfront – they simply didn’t want to hear it – just didn’t cared). Pooling (at least as long as there is contention) eases the pain and risk A LOT.

Thanks for hearing me out,

Alexander