[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Recordings, attendance & AC chat from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call on Monday, 13 November 2017 20:00 UTC

Julie Bisland julie.bisland at icann.org
Mon Nov 13 22:50:42 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3, AC recording, and chat transcript below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group call held on Monday, 13 November 2017 at 20:00 UTC.

MP3:  https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-subsequent-13nov17-en.mp3

Adobe Connect Recording:  https://participate.icann.org/p13p8og272j/<https://participate.icann.org/p13p8og272j/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=5e8ad2fd87050750fc8c9fe496ff5bd2c78397a0dbac2d3d9785b19e0c512256>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/tplEB

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Julie

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Monday, 13 November 2017

  Julie Bisland:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures WG call on Monday, 13 November 2017 at 20:00 UTC for 90 minutes.

  Julie Bisland:Agenda wiki page:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_tplEB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=hCM3jP85hyQnZ10G1oY4ccd6Y92CeYk0xKu3QhnXhzY&s=FpGyNRr24AN6x5psPbF9HUDQPZGi4QWRhghiMjE7Ro8&e=

  Vanda Scartez:hi eveyone. I am without mic in my computer so I am in the phone bridge and following by adobe. thanks

  Vanda Scartez:I am at liston only option in Adobe.

  Karen Day:good afternoon.  Anyone else having a lot of static on the dial in line today?

  Vanda Scartez:yes

  Annebeth Lange, ccNSO:Good evening from Norway!

  Vanda Scartez:good afternoon Annebeth! sunshine here...

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Morning from AU  :-)

  Annebeth Lange, ccNSO:The winter is approaching here in Oslo. Minus 1 today.

  Jeff Neuman:i am dialing in

  Julie Bisland:thank you, Jeff

  Karen Day:@Annabeth... brr... I will cease complaining about our 50F in North Carolina now :)

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello All

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):We can but try

  Christine Farley:I'm new.

  Heather Forrest:Phil should go first

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Heather is of course newly appointed Chair of GNSO Council

  Heather Forrest:I am fighting audio

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):and congratulations Phil

  Aslam G Mohamed:phew! at last got the audio. hello all.

  Heather Forrest:I'm on now

  Vanda Scartez:congratulations I hope!

  Phil Marano:I have an updated SOI, which may have got lost in the ICANN 60 mix.  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_display_gnsosoi_Phillip-2BVincent-2BMarano-2BSOI&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=hCM3jP85hyQnZ10G1oY4ccd6Y92CeYk0xKu3QhnXhzY&s=3wZVFb_fwS_y1E9uwbvJWbc4JAh2ovMCaGphg6o72Ak&e=

  Vanda Scartez:congrats heather

  Heather Forrest:Thank you! Very happy to continue with the WG

  Philip Corwin:Thanks very much, and very happy in my new role -- only regret is that I won't get to work directly with Heather as Council Chair.

  Heather Forrest:Likewise Phil, though I wish you all the best. Verisign is lucky to have you

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Yes it went very well IMO  Alan  I agree with your thanks  to our Co-Leads presentaions :-)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):I agree Jeff it went very well wth the GAC and ALAC

  Tom Dale:GAC members were appreciative of having a session on specific topics.

  Emily Barabas:The recording of the ALAC session can be found here for those who missed it: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sched.co_CbIx&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=hCM3jP85hyQnZ10G1oY4ccd6Y92CeYk0xKu3QhnXhzY&s=UxPHSWa9X3nSbDwHXg0g4F7skE8eQJ5kKih6mtZHVl4&e=

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Or just call it  now Jeff

 Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Rubens and I both agree to cancell

  Emily Barabas:And here is the transcript for the GAC session: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sched.co_CbHx&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=hCM3jP85hyQnZ10G1oY4ccd6Y92CeYk0xKu3QhnXhzY&s=r4A19k9tpliHVKXfev2UfV_j8uPAtPY8IRXFZFfcv84&e=

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):We will put some work out to the list though people ;-)

  Christa Taylor 2:The feedback and ideas received from the GAC and ALAC was really good and also highligted the importance of having the sessions

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Excellent if most of them partiicipate :-)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Wd 2000 UTC

  Steve Chan:Work Track 5 Members list is here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_UplEB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=hCM3jP85hyQnZ10G1oY4ccd6Y92CeYk0xKu3QhnXhzY&s=VBq3x0zn-hw1SS3W5vlSh7LxfmvMKV6kCrMnozxtBa8&e=

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):the Adobe Connect room: https://participate.icann.org/new-gtld-wt5/

  Tom Dale:GAC members' interest/sign-up is still growing (as we speak).

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):forthcoming shortly

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):the letter  I mean

  Phil Buckingham:Jeff,  As Michael is not on the call , would you be able to provide an update on my replacement for WT2 Co Chair. Thanks

  Martin Sutton:@Tom - good news, would be good for them to join the cal on Wed

  Heather Forrest:Perfect - thanks Jeff and Cheryl. Let me, Donna and Rafik know if we can do anything to help. We'll use your letter to answer the ccNSO letter that was addressed to Council rather than the PDP WG

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):nothing from me  ... Looking forward to gtting started

  Jim Prendergast:nice to see so many GAC members signed up for WT5

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair): glad you have improved in voice  Annabeth  but still yake care

  Jeff Neuman:@Phil - I am going to wait on that until after the WT 2 call next week

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):We will be accomodating to all our newbies ...noted

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Jeff and I will be there to help :-)

  Steve Chan:Note, a second communications tools classroom session has been added for 21 Nov at 10:00 UTC

  Emily Barabas:Note, a second webinar on tools has just been scheduled for Tuesday 21 Nov at 10:00 UTC, a more APAC-friendly time.

  Steve Chan:Thanks Emily :)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Great!  thanks Emily

  Tom Dale:GAC members have been urged to attend the "training" call. I did one some years ago and thought the work put in by GNSO staff to be very good.

  Phil Buckingham:Jeff  , OK thanks . Good approach.

  Emily Barabas:Sorry Steve :)

  Heather Forrest:Perfect, Emily- thanks. Communications Tools Classroom should be an excellent start for those not familiar with PDP participation

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):indeed and we can of course alway offer the classroom af=gain as needed...

  Aslam G Mohamed:10 am UTC is kinda unfriendly to the East Coast :(

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):yes it depends where you are in the vastness of APAC :-)

  Emily Barabas:There is a session tomorrow at 21:00 UTC, as well. The two sessions will be the same.

  Emily Barabas:@Jeff the 10:00 UTC session will be next week

  Aslam G Mohamed:that helps Emily. thanks. being new ...

  Emily Barabas:Tuesday the 21st

  Jim Prendergast:will they be recorded for those unable to make the session in real time?

  Greg Shatan:It would be ironic, Jim, if they were not recorded, as recordings are amongst the communication tools....

  Jim Prendergast:haha

  Emily Barabas:Yes, the webinars will be recorded :)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):for WTs 1-4

  Mike Rodenbaugh:query why the gap of 4 months from Jul to Nov next year?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):clearly  WT 5 is on a different timeline

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):PC  on the prelim  to Jun  then  the adits (if required) from the PC input  pre Finl Report Mike

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):45 days for the PC on preliminary

  Donna Austin, Neustar:just checking, the original timeline was that the Final Report was to be delivered to Council in July 2018?

  Phil Buckingham:what would be the format of the final report ?

  Mike Rodenbaugh:won't we have already done that before the preliminary report?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):that has had to slip Donna

  Mike Rodenbaugh:that = consensus call

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):this is *just* achievable

  Donna Austin, Neustar:I understand there are reasons for the slip, I'm just checking that the original thinking was July 2018.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):yes  Avri ad Jeff appraised Council of this in ICANN 59

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Full Consensus, Concensus, Strong Support, Support  etc.,  as per GNSO PDP Guidelines

  Jim Prendergast:yes

  Jim Prendergast:thanks

  Mike Rodenbaugh:thanks

  Steve Chan:@Jeff, no, we did not prepare one yet for WT5

  Julie Bisland:@ christopher, your line is breaking up

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):some audio delay for CW

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):but I think we understand

  Annebeth Lange, ccNSO:Jeff, do you mean preliminary recommendation or initial report?

  Aslam G Mohamed:will someone be circulating the goals for at 5?

  Aslam G Mohamed:Wt5

  Aslam G Mohamed:thx

  Vanda Scartez:no question is all clear

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):of a non-alcholic beverage, right, Jeff?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair)::-)

  Aslam G Mohamed:we will know shortly if that is water;)

  Olga Cavalli - WT5 - GAC:Hello I do not see messages in the chat, so this is just trying if it works for me

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Yes Olga working

  Olga Cavalli - WT5 - GAC:Oh I do not see my chat message :(

  Aslam G Mohamed:hi Olga. it’s interesting to see GAC participation. Dot gTLD issues can now be preempted!

  Heather Forrest:Re 'rounds', do we have more current info on delegation rate than https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__archive.icann.org_en_topics_new-2Dgtlds_delegation-2Drate-2Dscenarios-2Dnew-2Dgtlds-2D06oct10-2Den.pdf-3F&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=hCM3jP85hyQnZ10G1oY4ccd6Y92CeYk0xKu3QhnXhzY&s=5YqzUrErHb1qDp1lvTfiKPJxBnN3grLhPe06cH4B7as&e=

  Heather Forrest:thanks Jeff

  Paul McGrady:@Jeff, also need to discuss if we will have reviews between rounds or if the reviews will be while rounds are ongoing - noting the delta between 2012 and 2017 & counting

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Yes we are still awaiting responses on this Heather

  Alexander Schubert:So at 15k applications we have a 15 year pause till round 3?

  Alexander Schubert:Application fee should triple in the next round - to have the 3rd round soon!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):thus our asking the question(s) as Jeff is outlining

  Alexander Schubert:Holland auction model:

  Alexander Schubert:Go in with high fees - lower over time.

  Alexander Schubert:Non-profit public-benefit applicants could be prioprioritized!

  Kurt Pritz:Christopher raises a good point. Isn't one of the working groups considering participation in one of their work tracks?

  Alexander Schubert:Uups: prioritized.....

  Christopher Wilkinson:@Olga:

  Emily Barabas:For those who prefer to follow the discussion using the Google Doc, please use this link: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1u3UzvZIXzjnxtklgPmqArqff6dyckUbyuzWyLz7dKOw_edit-23heading-3Dh.8ogpiqoxs2va&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=hCM3jP85hyQnZ10G1oY4ccd6Y92CeYk0xKu3QhnXhzY&s=uAOxmM-XRZ8Lhk1uPWD52eGXc6_QwmRe0xtDb4qxoC4&e=

  Christopher Wilkinson:@Olga:

  Annebeth Lange, ccNSO:By looking at which regions in the world that got new gTLDs in the first round, it could be useful to think differently this time and take the undeserved regions more into consideration.

  Christopher Wilkinson:The general chat to Everyone is working, but Private Chats are not working.

  Alan Greenberg:It seems to be for me.

  Alexander Schubert:Chris: Private chats have seperate windows.....

  Vanda Scartez: Annebeth - another issues may be needed for underserved regions to incentivate applications - this will depend on the success of some gTLDs applied

  Vanda Scartez:at first round

  Kurt Pritz:I am sorry I don’t know the detail of the letters to SSAC, RSSAC and ICANN about delegation rates. Were they asked to point to any analysis that they have done either before or since the first round? Alternatively, can anyone point to analysis (e.g., perhaps in a staff review of ICANN correspondence from SSAC)? I think there were conclusions that the 1000/year rate was ‘safe’ but no analysis.

  Julie Bisland:If you're having trouble with seeing chats, please try closing the AC window and logging back in.

  Vanda Scartez:i do not think it will add any value to the process Jeff

  Christopher Wilkinson:IDN only roung?

  Steve Chan:@Kurt, please see the bottom of the following link to see the letters sent to the SSAC, RSSAC, and OCTO/GDD: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_Xz2AAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=hCM3jP85hyQnZ10G1oY4ccd6Y92CeYk0xKu3QhnXhzY&s=FiBuAYNw5cMigZ_79Rt7yJIulKJdNZ8EulcU4k-AMVg&e=

  Philip Corwin:Have to depart/bye

  Robin Gross:It hasn't come in in WT3.

  Christa Taylor 2:Also not raised in WT1

  Annebeth Lange, ccNSO:By having a brand round first, we will run into problems with geographical names

  Vanda Scartez:@Annebeth -Agree. I do not beleive in separate rounds

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):it has not prevailed in any proposed outcomes...

  Christopher Wilkinson:By definition the startups and innovators are under-represented. It is a question of correcting for the 'voice'.

  Robin Gross:We'd need another WT to sort out the "only" round...

  Christa Taylor 2:Stand corrected - brand round has been brought up

  Donna Austin, Neustar:The full WG has not had a substantive discussion about 'categories' either, but perhaps when we do, submission periods may come up as part of that discussion.

  Vanda Scartez:@christopher - we had some good strat ups but they face a huge auction process - few survived

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):fair point Martin,

  Alan Greenberg:There may well be a measurable demand for a separate round for a variety of groups, but for EACH group, it is FAR harder to develop a critical mass.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:The discussion about 'applicant support' could potentially recommend a clear and free application window for such applicants.

  Kurt Pritz:Thanks, Steve. You mean the part that says: “We would also appreciate input on the total number of TLDs that could be delegated without negative impact to root server performance. In a 2009 study, the then deployed software was seen as being capable of handling at least 100,000 TLDs. We expect that improvements in DNS software, RAM sizes and processor speeds will likely result in a higher capacity if retested under current circumstances.’

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Very true Donna

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):I did not catch who was trying to speek then either Jeff

  Julie Bisland:Kavouss' line dropped, and he's been added back to the audio only.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Ahh Kavouss only n audio I suspect

  Aslam G Mohamed:Welcome Kavous.

  Julie Bisland:I"ll have the Operator chat with him privately

  Aslam G Mohamed:We heard you a lot in Abu Dhabi!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Thx Julie

  Steve Chan:@Kurt, it's been a while since I've looked at those letters, but that seems to be the part relevant to your question.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Have to drop to get to a meeting in another building at the half hour.  I'll read the transcript to catch up on the last 15 minutes. Thanks, all.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Bye Kristina

  Aslam G Mohamed:Bye Kristina

  Julie Bisland:please mute your line if not speaking :)

  Paul McGrady:It would also encourage squatting.  A brand owner launching a new brand would have to file their gTLD application on the same day that they file their first trademark application- spending the money on a new gTLD when they aren't even sure that the relevant PTO will grant them the trademark.

  Alexander Schubert:Competition! Competition drives innovation - FCFS eliminates competition.

  Annebeth Lange, ccNSO:I agree, Alan.

  Aslam G Mohamed:how do you mute Julie?

  Alexander Schubert:If in month one 5,000 applications come in - and it takes 3 years to process them; in those 3 years pent up demand justifies a next round to allow competition to happen.

  Donna Austin, Neustar:Why not have a two week application window at the current fee?

  Alexander Schubert:Window length is irrelevant - could be 10 seconds. Same result as 10 weeks.

  Kurt Pritz:While I think that all of the concerns regarding FCFS raised by Jeff and others can be addressed, I think data from the most recent round is required to resolve them. Now that the last round is several years in the review mirror, the data we have is stale - i.e., the market has evolved considerably and in ways unknown to us. We have to have a couple rounds in close succession to develop the information needed to launch a FCFS operation.

  Alan Greenberg:@Jeff, my line dropped, but my answer is that it might depend on whether the list  of applied for names, and by whom is released.

  Jeff Neuman:Thanks Kurt.  We have to design certain models to see whether the concerns can be addressed.

  Alexander Schubert:Agree with Christopher on concerns of speculation!

  Aslam G Mohamed:Whatever the model it should prevent squatting and support the brand owner getting the relevant gTLD.

  Annebeth Lange, ccNSO:Sorry, have to leave.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Bye Annabeth

  Paul McGrady:@Jeff, will put my comment on the list instead.

  Jeff Neuman:thanks Paul

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):I am finding it a little difficult to discerne all that Kavouss is saying please if someone has clearer audio  retype a precis

  Phil Buckingham:@ Kurt , I agree . We need detailed market analysis of what has happened since 2012. to establish future demand. From that we can establish an application price for each "category".

  Jeff Neuman:I will also draft an email setting forth some specific questions......

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):interesting concept Martin...

  Kavouss Arasteh:The arguments submitted may given the impression that FCFS is in favours of underserved region which is not the cae

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):bye all

  Donna Austin, Neustar:To Martin's point, the discussion about 'categories' becomes paramount to deciding whether the type of application should be a factor in deciding whether separate application windows should be available to address underserved region applicants etc.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):indeed Donna

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):discussions continue...

  Donna Austin, Neustar:FCFS to become a steady state after some initial rounds have been undertaken

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Thanks everyone... good to get started in these debates again :-)  Bye for now...

  Julie Bisland:Next meeting for new gTLD Subpro WG: Tuesday, 28 November 2017 at 03:00 UTC.

  Alexander Schubert:Bye

  Christa Taylor 2:Thank you

  Martin Sutton:Thanks Jeff et al

  Vanda Scartez:thanks all my condolences to Iran due the 7.3-magnitude earthquake!

  Robin Gross:Thanks Jeff and all.  Bye!

  Aslam G Mohamed:ciao

  Justine Chew 2:Cheers

  Phil Buckingham:thanks Jeff