[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Candidates for the GNSO WT 5 Co-Leader (DISCUSSION PERIOD)

喬敬 chiao at brandma.co
Fri Oct 6 09:30:50 UTC 2017

Fully agreed with Jeff and others -- the general principle of a WG group
leader/chair for *ANY* WG group in ICANN is to make sure he/she stays
neutral, understands the member's interest -- by reminding the members to
update SOI from time to time, and facilitates discussion in which loud
minority, cold majority, members who join the work regularly or
sporadically, etc., can weigh in as they wish.

The co-leaders should form a leadership team that is able to move things
forward instead of making authoritative, pre-conceived decisions.
Pre-conceived decisions are bad because only small selected groups or
people gain interests, and they are definitely not healthy for the
long-term prosperity for our community and industry built around it.

Anne, I still appreciate your question and the opportunity to reply -- if
you're asking my responses to any pre-conceived position on geo names /
TLDs, my brief answers are:
1) No I do not have any pre-conceived position other than what's
implemented on the AGP.
2) Like many others on the list, I have some professional experiences as a
gTLD registry operator / ccTLD registry operator / new gTLD applicant /
corporate registrar / digital brand consultant. These experiences helped
shape what I know about a particular topic, like IDNs and GeoTLDs where one
can still find rooms for improvement. I look forward to our collective
efforts to make things easier for the applicants in subsequent round(s).
3) You can be assured that, if selected, I will make it clear when I speak
as a co-leader role (representing GNSO's interest) or my personal capacity.

Hope it helps. Thanks again for the opportunity.

Best regards,

Ching

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Jeff Neuman <jeff.neuman at comlaude.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Steve.  I agree with the comments of Mike and the others. We need
> neutrality in the leadership and a person that can facilitate discussion
> rather than advocate for a particular position. That said he or she should
> make sure that the GNSO point of view or points of view are being
> represented along with the other groups.  I am grateful to have so many
> qualified volunteers to choose from.
>
> Jeffrey J. Neuman
> Senior Vice President
> Com Laude USA / Valideus USA
> 1751 Pinnacle Dr., Suite 600
> McLean, VA 22102
> Jeff.Neuman at comlaude.com
> +1 (202) 549-5079 <(202)%20549-5079>
>
> On Oct 5, 2017, at 9:31 PM, Steve Chan <steve.chan at icann.org> wrote:
>
> Mike, Rob, Anne, all,
>

> Indeed, the role of Chair is to manage the process. Please see section
> 2.2.1 of the GNSO Working Group Guidelines here:
> https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/annex-1-gnso-wg-
> guidelines-01sep16-en.pdf and additional detail in the description
> attached.
>

> While perhaps a minor point, I’d note that the WG is seeking to appoint a
> GNSO co-lead for a sub team rather than a WG chair, though the guidance is
> likely still relevant and informative.
>

> Best,
>
> Steve
>

> *From: *<gnso-newgtld-wg-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Mike Rodenbaugh <
> mike at rodenbaugh.com>
> *Date: *Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 4:51 PM
> *To: *Rob Hall <rob at momentous.com>
> *Cc: *"gnso-newgtld-wg at icann.org" <gnso-newgtld-wg at icann.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [Gnso-newgtld-wg] Candidates for the GNSO WT 5 Co-Leader
> (DISCUSSION PERIOD)
>

> Agreed.  Discussion of potential co-chairs should be purely procedural,
> and should not involve discussion of substantive WG issues.  I imagine the
> WG Guidelines might have some guidance on that point, which Staff might
> please point out?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>

> Mike Rodenbaugh
>
> RODENBAUGH LAW
>
> tel/fax:  +1.415.738.8087 <(415)%20738-8087>
>
> http://rodenbaugh.com
>

> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Rob Hall <rob at momentous.com> wrote:
>
> Perhaps I am being naïve, but is the answer not contained in your question
> ?
>

> The job of a co-chair is to facilitate discussion.
>

> The group decides what is worth more time or not.  The Chairs job is to
> facilitate the will of the group.
>

> A chair is not a CEO.   They do not lead.  They facilitate.  They keep the
> group on point and moving forward productively.
>

> I am not sure we should be choosing a chair based on their opinions of
> specific issues.   To me, it is far more important they understand the role
> of chair as opposed to what their opinion on any one issue is.
>

> Rob.

> [...]

Ching Chiao
Founder & CEO
Brandma Internet Group
中域国际集团
www.brandma.com

+886.918.211372 || +86.135.2018.7032 || +1.908.4990050
Beijing . Chengdu . Hangzhou . Hong Kong . Shenzhen. Taipei