[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Proposed agenda - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 9 April 2018 at 15:00 UTC

Jim Prendergast jim at GALWAYSG.COM
Mon Apr 9 14:39:04 UTC 2018

Jeff – I’m not sure I ever saw a response from the leadership regarding some of the issues raised regarding whether this is in fact an initial report or discussion draft.  For background, I pasted the email immediately below this message
It came out during a time when many, including myself, were on holiday so easily missed.

I do think addressing these point in Greg’s email would be beneficial.  Could we put that under AOB?

Thanks

Jim Prendergast
The Galway Strategy Group
+1 202 285 3699
@jimpren

Message

From: Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3 <gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3-bounces at icann.org> On Behalf Of Greg Shatan
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2018 12:33 AM
To: Aikman-Scalese, Anne <AAikman at lrrc.com>
Cc: gnso-newgtld-wg at icann.org; cw at christopherwilkinson.eu; gnso-newgtld-wg-wt1 at icann.org; gnso-newgtld-wg-wt2 at icann.org; Martin Sutton <martin at brandregistrygroup.org>; Javier Rua <javrua at gmail.com>; gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org; gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4 at icann.org; Olga Cavalli <olgacavalli at gmail.com>; gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3 at icann.org
Subject: Re: [Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3] [Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] [Gnso-newgtld-wg] Working Group Status and Next Steps

I would like to raise a potential concern regarding the preliminary report/final report plan for this WG.  Unlike most preliminary reports, this one will have a great many open issues and undecided options.  As a result, the first time that the community will see the draft recommendations of the WG will be the final report, a role usually played by the preliminary report.  That leaves us no room for error or uncertainty in the final report -- we can't bring it out for comment with significant open issues, if this is really intended to be the final report.  That will result in a heavy lift to get this into "final" form straight from a fairly unsettled question-filled preliminary report.  And what if the comments result in significant changes in the final report -- what happens?  Do we have a supplemental final report (not really contemplated by the Charter)?

An alternative approach could be to put this report out as a "discussion draft," intended to spur discussion, and then follow that with the preliminary report with our "beta version" and then the final report.  There is precedent for working groups making requests to the community for input or comments or information during the pendency of their work.  This would allow the preliminary report to play its usual role.

Of course, this could raise timing issues.  On the other hand, the cynic in me says that this plan to put out an undercooked preliminary report is intended to put timing ahead of fidelity to the PDP process.  I'm not advocating form for the sake of form.  Rather I think there are good reasons why the preliminary report is intended to be almost-ready-for-prime-time report, and not a sandbox/workshop/open kitchen for the community to join our "fun" and deliberations.  (Maybe it's the "home version" of the Working Group....)

Failing that, I think we have to brace ourselves for the possibility that we could need a supplemental final draft.  I suppose the advantage of that is that we look like we're on schedule for the next year or so....

Just my 2 cents,

Greg