[Gnso-newgtld-wg] [Ext] RE: Predictability - Section 1.2.2

Steve Chan steve.chan at icann.org
Wed Apr 18 17:54:10 UTC 2018

Dear Anne,

Please take a look at section 1.2.2.e, where the draft Predictability Framework can be found, and then specifically, “Fundamental, Possibly Policy-level Changes.” As you noted, the Predictability Framework, is in part, intended to help the Standing IRT determine how to triage issues that arise after program launch (i.e., applications are being accepted). In the event that there are policy implications for the new issue, the Standing IRT could recommend to the GNSO Council that one of the GNSO processes referenced below be initiated. The Standing IRT does not have the power to initiate the processes themselves.

This language is currently contained in the draft Initial Report excerpt, in circumstances where the Standing IRT determines that the issue represents new policy:

The standing IRT will make a determination that additional consideration is needed. For instance, a request could be sent to the GNSO Council to consider invoking the GNSO Input Process (GIP), GNSO Guidance Process (GGP), or the GNSO Expedited PDP Process (EPDP).

Also, as you mentioned, the new GNSO processes can be initiated during the implementation of the policy (i.e., when the IRT is utilizing the CPIF) and/or after the next wave of applications is being accepted. The Predictability Framework does not seek to change any of that.

Hopefully this is helpful. I see your subsequent email that just arrived and hopefully this helps to respond to that email as well.

Best,

Steve