[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Actions/Discussion Notes: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG 24 April 2018

Julie Hedlund julie.hedlund at icann.org
Tue Apr 24 15:06:56 UTC 2018

Dear WG Members,

Please see below the action items and discussion notes captured by staff from the meeting on 24 April 2018. These high-level notes are designed to help PDP WG members navigate through the content of the call and are not meant as a substitute for the transcript or recording.  The MP3, transcript, and chat room notes will be provided separately.

For reference see also the attached referenced document.

Best regards,

Julie

Julie Hedlund, Policy Director

Action Items:

WG members should review the Initial Report excerpts and provide comments/edits in email to the WG list, with references to the relevant sections.
WG Co-Chairs will suggest some language to make it clear that a consensus call was not held, and put it out to the list for review examples of how we got to a general type of agreement.

Notes:

1. Initial Report Excerpts

Applicant Guidebook: Page 4

-- More user friendly.

-- Put online.

-- Terms of use should be finalized.

-- Page 5: Bullets – 6th and 7th are supported.

-- Discussed in Work Track 1.  Should know the source of the material, such as which Work Track.

-- Taking all WG input on the Initial Report.  Use this as a sanity check to see if there is anything we have missed.  Oversight and issue we need to pick up on.

-- Leadership will review all comments.

-- In Work Track 4 many members said the business of strings on the name collision side – strings that fit that category should be identified early on so that applicants don’t apply for them.  In terms of the AGB you might end up with a pre-qualification stage where you could suggest a string, but not do a full application.  Need to see the language from Work Track 4.

-- Only a proposal to do a study on name collisions and if there is a study that might fit better under things like reserved names.  Look at Work Track 4 language to see where there are dependencies.

1.4.2: Communications: Page 7

-- Nothing about a global communication effort --- need for a global communications campaign.  More focused on applicant support -- 1.5.4 .

-- What do we mean by “global communication effort”?  Worldwide plan to ensure that internationally it is known that we have this program.

-- Are we saying we need a constant communications period for every round?

-- It depends on the periodicity of the round.

1.4.3: Systems: Page 10

-- No policy but implementation guidance.

-- What do you mean by “live support”?   Answer: Online support option.

Overall Suggestions:

-- Need to change the phrasing “the Work Track agreed”.  Rarely a full agreement, so how will we express that?  Suggestion is to say, “the general understanding of the Work Track/Working Group was...”

-- How to express areas where there was no consensus? Not operating on formal definitions.  Important to point out that there have not been formal consensus calls for these recommendations.  Section 3.6 of the Working Group Guidelines defines levels of consensus.

-- Can’t say “the Work Track agreed” because no consensus call was held per the Working Group Guidelines.

-- Suggest some language to make it clear that we did not do a consensus call.

-- Put out to the list for review examples of how we got to a general type of agreement.  Something that is in between agreement and observation.  The Work Track leaders were pretty careful to get the sense of the group.

-- This report has been developed based on CC1 and CC2 comments, transcripts and notes.  The leadership team is trying to be innovative.  Consensus calls are not happening now.

2. Next Meetings/Steps:

-- May Calls: Will need first two weeks in May to continue to finalize the Initial Report.

-- Future systems: Start rolling out testing of Adobe Connect on the 3rd of May.  Blog post and looking for more feedback on a survey: https://www.icann.org/news/blog/adobe-connect-what-next.

-- ICANN62: Likely to be three sessions on Monday, 25 June, and one on Thursday, 28 June.